Michael Aubrey > Mills & Reeve LLP > Cambridge, England > Lawyer Profile
Mills & Reeve LLP Offices
100 HILLS ROAD
- Go to...
Michael leads the firm’s national agriculture sector. His areas of specialism cover the acquisition and disposal of estates and farms, farm tenancies, joint ventures, development and promotion agreements, partnership agreements, contracting agreements. Recent examples of Michael’s work include advising a consortium of landowners in relation to the promotion of 400 acres of land for development, advising an estate on the restructuring of its agricultural tenancies so as to enhance the ability to achieve 100% IHT relief, restructuring the agricultural tenancies on an estate prior to sale of the estate and advising on the termination of a farming partnership.
Trained Mills & Reeve LLP; qualified 1991; partner 1997 to date. Publications of note: writes periodically for the Farmers Weekly and Solicitors Journal.
Agricultural Law Association, Royal Forestry Society, Law Society, Royal Agricultural Society of England.
Whitland Grammar School, Carmarthenshire; University of Newcastle Upon Tyne (1984-87).
Referee to three young boys, rugby, cricket.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Mills & Reeve LLP has a large team that advises on a broad array of high-value and complex issues relating to rural land nationally. It acts for many traditional farming clients as well as several of the landowning Cambridge and Oxford colleges, various pension funds, some prestigious landed estates as well as many substantial national farming businesses. Under the direction of Michael Aubrey and Amanda Tagg, the group advises on the tax, trusts and contentious aspects of agricultural law as well as food law. Other strengths lie in advising institutional and corporate landowners on structuring transactions and advising on major infrastructure and development projects as well as large scale renewable energy projects. The agile team also advises on woodland plantation carbon scheme options in addition to the acquisition and disposal of land.
Mills & Reeve LLP is frequently involved in some of the largest rural land transactions in East Anglia and across the UK. It frequently acts for traditional farming clients, as well as landowning Cambridge and Oxford colleges, pension funds, landed estates and large agribusinesses. Michael Aubrey and Amanda Tagg in Cambridge, along with Tim Ryan in Norwich are the lead partners. Aubrey has a national reputation for advice to institutional and corporate landowners on structuring transactions, major infrastructure and development projects, and large-scale renewable energy projects. Tagg advises institutional investors on agricultural property portfolios and Ryan assists landowners with collaboration, promotion, option and contribution agreements, and renewable energy projects.
Key names in the agriculture and estates practice at Mills & Reeve LLP include principal associate Andrea Newman in Leeds and food and agribusiness co-head Michael Aubrey in Cambridge. The team handles work for traditional farming clients as well as landowning colleges, pension funds, estates and substantive agribusiness interests. Notably, given the firm’s size, it can also draw on specialists from its tax, insolvency and construction teams to cover all aspects of a particular matter.
- Agriculture and estates - East Anglia > Private client
- Leading individuals - East Anglia > Private client > Agriculture and estates
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Cambridge
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Norwich
- Real estate > Commercial property: Cambridge
- Real estate > Commercial property: Norwich
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Cambridge
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Norwich
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Cambridge
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Norwich
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector > Public sector