Nicolas Oldham > Mills & Reeve LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Mills & Reeve LLP Offices
24 KING WILLIAM STREET
- Go to...
Professional indemnity insurance.
From our London office, I head up the firm’s Construction and Engineering Risks practice – a national offering across five offices. Over the last twenty years or so, I have dealt with claims against most professionals. Since 1995, I have dealt exclusively with claims against construction professionals, including surveyors and valuers. I have substantial experience of court proceedings, arbitration proceedings, adjudication and ADR. I very much enjoy being instructed to advise on policy coverage and have been appointed coverage counsel for claims not only in this country, but also abroad, including Australia, Canada and Turkmenistan!
Clients say that: “strong technical skills provide the platform for an innovative and commercially focused approach.” and “Nik’s ability to build up trust and rapport enables messages to be conveyed quickly and effectively and is a major contribution to the facilitation of the settlement of complex and multi party disputes.”
Legal directories report:
“Highly rated against other firms, especially in the construction area…” and “Nicolas Oldham provides ‘excellent service’ and is a hit with the clients.”
“… enjoys ‘a real presence in the construction professional negligence market’. It advised Aspect Contracts on a claim against Higgins Construction. Nik Oldham has ‘first-class legal acumen’;
June 2015 success in the Supreme Court: Aspect Contracts (Asbestos) Limited v Higgins Construction Plc  UKSC 38.
Legal assistant Squire & Co 1991-98; trainee solicitor Squire & Co 1998-2000; solicitor Reynolds Porter Chamberlain 2000-07; partner Vizards 2007-08; partner Mills & Reeve July 2008 to date.
Society of Construction Law
Ashby Grammar School, Leicestershire and LLB Hons at Bristol Polytechnic Law 1984-87.
Golf, sailing, skiing.
Mills & Reeve LLP has strengths in defending complex claims against members of the construction, legal and financial professions. Neil Davis and Nicolas Oldham co-lead the team; Oldham is strong in the construction arena, with claims regarding cladding playing a prominent part of the practice, whilst Davis leads the technology and cyber team. Tom Filby has developed expertise in the recovery of funds stolen from professional services firms. Andrew Tobin and Eric France are also notable team members.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Public sector > Education: institutions
- Public sector > Education: individuals
- Public sector > Healthcare
- Employment > Senior executives
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Family: mediation
- Private client > Court of protection
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Finance > Asset based lending
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Public sector > Education: schools
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Employment > Immigration