Mark Howard > Michelmores LLP > Exeter, England > Lawyer Profile
Michelmores LLP Offices
- Go to...
Planning and environment.
Mark is Head of the Environment team and Head of Planning Law.
Mark joined Michelmores in August 2006, and specialises in advising on environmental, commercial and regulatory matters. He also advises on planning and regeneration projects. Mark is ranked as ‘one of the top 50 planning solicitors in the country’ in Planning Magazine’s Guide to Planning Lawyers 2013-2014.
He has led on a range of commercial infrastructure projects including the procurement of a materials recycling facility, the construction of a power station, and the creation of the Supreme Court on Parliament Square.
Mark also works with property developers and public sector clients to facilitate the development of real estate, advising across a range of environmental, regulatory and planning matters.
He also conducts defence work and advocacy for regulatory, environmental and planning prosecutions.
Trained Wragge & Co, Birmingham; qualified 2002. Made partner 2013. 1995-1997 – Police Officer, Norfolk Constabulary; 1999-2006 – Wragge & Co – progressed through Trainee, Solicitor and Associate; 2006-present – Michelmores LLP – progressed through Solicitor, Associate and Partner.
University of East Anglia (1992, BA (Hons), 2i), University of Manchester (1993, MA(Econ), Commendation), Nottingham Law School (1998, PgDL, Commendation) (1999, LPC, Distinction).
Cricket (member of the MCC), playing guitar, clearing up after my children.
The cross-practice local government team at Michelmores LLP’s covers a full spectrum of local authority law issues concerning real estate transactions, planning, environment, employment, regeneration, and funding and asset management. Mark Howard’s practice focuses on planning and environmental matters. Real estate partner Sally Rice assists local authorities with transactions involving redevelopment work.
At Michelmores LLP, key sectors of expertise of the planning team include real estate, marine, manufacturing, and energy and renewables. The department is also very active in the public sector, in which it represents a number of local authorities on matters concerning planning obligations, assets of community value, neighbourhood planning and general public authority decisions. The team has developed a niche in coastal development work and marine licensing and planning. Practice head Mark Howard advises on a wide range of environmental, commercial and regulatory matters.
Michelmores LLP‘s cross-practice team undertakes environmental due diligence on real estate and corporate transactions, and advises on issues concerning the content of contamination indemnity agreements. Waste and water-related work (including bank erosion, pollution and flooding) are among other areas of focus. Practice head Mark Howard acts for clients such as developers, local authorities and landowners.
- Local government - South West > Public sector
- Planning - South West > Real estate
- Environment - South West > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: The West Country
- Real estate > Commercial property: The West Country
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: The West Country
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Human resources > Employment: The West Country
- Private client > Family
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Project finance and PFI
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Construction
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Public sector > Local government
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Environment