David Foster > Moore Barlow > Guildford, England > Lawyer Profile
Moore Barlow Offices
- Go to...
Partner and head of the litigation department; leads the firm’s extensive litigation practice; has 20 years’ civil litigation experience and has acted on complex cases on banking, lending, property, planning, ethics and human rights; David is a nationally known mediator, having been actively involved in the field since 1996 with a success rate of 90% and on a range of commercial cases. Court of Appeal cases in 2005 are Jepson, Burke, and challenge to procedures of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority.
Trained Lewis and Dick, London and Andersons; qualified 1988; assistant solicitor Harveys 1989; Elkingtons 1989-92; partner designate Barlows (now Barlow Robbins LLP) 1992; partner 1993.
ADR Group; executive of Commercial Litigation Association; Southern Mediation Group; Middlesex and Thames Valley Mediators; Professional Negligence Lawyers’ Association; Secretary Guildford Court Users Committee; National Committee of Lawyers Christian Fellowship; Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Institute of Directors, Civil Procedure Panel Sweet & Maxwell; International Bar Association; Surrey Clubs for Young People.
Epsom College; Leicester University (1984 LLB (Hons)); College of Law, Guildford (1985).
Running, football, literature.
The merger of Moore Blatch LLP and Barlow Robbins has created a strong combined professional negligence offering at the newly formed Moore Barlow, led by Mark Osgood in Southampton. The team’s lawyers have a proven track record of work on claimant professional negligence matters, with key figures including operations partner Rob Evans, who has carved out a niche in claims arising from financial regulation, taxation schemes, and cybercrime. In Guildford, David Foster leads the firm’s dispute resolution, civil litigation and commercial mediation practice, while other key figures include associate solicitor Andrew Reid and senior associate Esther Millard.
Moore Barlow is the result of the merger of Moore Blatch and Barlow Robbins. This sizable firm handles commercial litigation matters including trade mark infringement, planning disputes, and breach of contract. The team’s clients span sectors including education, retail, insurers and manufacturers. Practice head David Foster is described as ‘commercial, practical and a pleasure to work with’, and in addition to litigation also handles mediations.
Chris Marsden heads up Moore Barlow‘s real estate litigation group, which acts in complex and high-value property disputes for high-net-worth individuals, developers, hoteliers and retailers. The team also counts insolvency practitioners, telecoms operators, property institutions and financial institutions on its client roster. Sarah Watley leads the bank and lender side of the practice, acting for a number of specialist lender clients in high-value and complex residential and commercial possession claims. Richmond-based Thomas Middlehurst is the key name to note for property ownership disputes. The team is made up lawyers from both Moore Blatch and Barlow Robbins, following their merger in May 2020 – key legacy Barlow Robbins lawyers among the team include senior associate Simon Fulford and senior litigator David Foster, both of who are based in Guildford.
- Professional negligence - South East > Insurance
- Property litigation - South East > Real estate
- Commercial litigation: Kent, Surrey and Sussex - South East > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: Hampshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Hampshire
- Private client > Family: Hampshire
- Private client > Family: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Employment > Employment: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Employment > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Hampshire
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Hampshire
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Hampshire
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Public sector > Public sector
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Kent, Surrey and Sussex