Firm Profile > Rahman & Rabbi Legal > Eskaton , Bangladesh
Rahman & Rabbi Legal Offices
Suite 1206, SEL Rose-N-Dale
116 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
- Notable Cases
- Client Testimonial
- Legal Developments
Rahman & Rabbi Legal > Firm Profile
RAHMAN & RABBI LEGAL
Suite 1206, SEL Rose-N-Dale
116 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Eskaton, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
T: +88 02 8181010, M: +88 01716219345
Rahman & Rabbi Legal, based in Dhaka, Bangladesh focuses on representing clients with cases involving arbitration, business law, banking and finance, corporate finance, employment and labour law, energy laws, merger and acquisitions, securities, telecommunications law, property and trust litigation. Mr. Md. Monzur Rabbi, Barrister-at-Law and also an Advocate of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh is currently functioning as the Senior Partner and Head of Chambers. Apart from his law graduation from University of London, Mr Rabbi has also completed LL.B. with a First Class Honours and LL.M. (International and Comparative Law) with a First Class from University of Dhaka. Mr. Rabbi has pursued an LL.M. in International Arbitration with a Fulbright Scholarship from the University of Miami, Florida, USA. Mr. Rabbi previously worked as an Associate of A Hossain & Associates, the Chambers of Mr. Ajmalul Hossain QC.
This set of Chambers has been founded by Mr. Md. Mahbubor Rahman, a retired District Judge and also an Advocate of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh. Mr. Rahman has more than forty (40) years of legal experience as a Judge and an Advocate and he is currently functioning as the Advising Partner of the Chambers. Since its founding in January 2016, Rahman & Rabbi Legal has represented clients ranging from private individuals to small businesses and large corporations. The Chambers includes Barristers and Advocates highly experienced in corporate-legal matters.
Rahman & Rabbi Legal delivers timely and cost-effective solutions in contracts and transactions with an emphasis on thorough investigation and meticulous planning. When possible, client matters are concluded without litigation. If this is not possible, the client comes first and the Chambers will aggressively defend the rights and interests of their clients in negotiations, trials and appeals. With the same tenacity and dedication, land transactions services are extended to business clients, individuals or families.
While much of the practice focuses on establishing, operating and growing successful businesses, Rahman & Rabbi Legal also understands that their clients have personal legal needs as well. The set of Chambers values the trusts clients place in it and works hard to provide solid and effective representation to meet those diverse legal needs. With a foundation built on longstanding relationships with their clients, the set of Chambers offers personalised service and accessibility, attention to detail, and consistently favourable outcomes. At Rahman & Rabbi Legal, the client always comes first.
The team advises on a broad range of works including:
• Regulatory and compliance matters in Bangladesh, including advising on the licensing regime in
Bangladesh and establishing a business presence in Bangladesh
• Banking & finance matters and advising on other financing transactions
• Corporate finance transactions such as IPOs, secondary listing of securities, Real Estate
Investment Trusts (REIT) & other business trusts
• Corporate-legal matters and commercial transactions including shipping law
• Mergers & acquisitions, investments, private equity & venture fund matters
• Cross-border dispute resolutions in Bangladesh, including litigation in Bangladesh, advising
on white collar crime and arbitration in Bangladesh, under both ICC and SIAC Rules and this
endeavour focuses energy and telecom sectors specifically
• Real Estate transactions in Bangladesh, including conveyancing of commercial, industrial and
• Establishing investment funds in Bangladesh, including legal advices on seeking licenses from
the Board of Investment (BOI)
|Administration & Constitutional||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Atikul Haqueemail@example.com||+88 01716219345|
|Admiralty||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Atikul Haquefirstname.lastname@example.org||+88 01716219345|
|Arbitration & Dispute Resolution||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Fahad Bin Siddiqueemail@example.com||+88 01716219345|
|Aviation||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Sheikh Afroza Anwarfirstname.lastname@example.org||+88 01716219345|
|Banking & Finance||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Anupoma Royemail@example.com||+88 01716219345|
|Corporate & Commercial||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Sadia Afrinfirstname.lastname@example.org||+88 01716219345|
|Employment||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Sheikh Afroza Anwaremail@example.com||+88 01716219345|
|Energy||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Fahad Bin Siddiquefirstname.lastname@example.org||+88 01716219345|
|Insurance||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Anupoma Royemail@example.com||+88 01716219345|
|Intellectual Property||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Sadia Afrin, Istiak Ahmedfirstname.lastname@example.org||+88 01716219345|
|Securities||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Jotirmoy Royemail@example.com||+88 01716219345|
|Taxation||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Jotirmoy Royfirstname.lastname@example.org||+88 01716219345|
|Telecommunication||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Istiak Ahmedemail@example.com||+88 01716219345|
|Consumer Protection & Antitrust||Md. Monzur Rabbi, Atikul Haquefirstname.lastname@example.org||+88 01716219345|
Staff FiguresMd. Monzur Rabbi : Senior Partner & Head of Chambers Md. Mahbubor Rahman : Advising Partner Atikul Haque : Associate Jotirmoy Roy : Associate Fahad Bin Siddique : Associate Anupoma Roy : Trainee Lawyer Istiak Ahmed : Trainee Lawyer Sadia Afrin : Trainee Lawyer Sheikh Afroza Anwar Lata : Trainee Lawyer Al-Amin : Chambers Clerk
LanguagesEnglish (fluent) Bangla
MembershipsThe Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn The Supreme Court Bar Association
Since its incorporation in January 2016, Rahman & Rabbi Legal has represented different ranges of clients. As chambers, we are more focused on representing the corporate clients with cases involving corporate and commercial laws. To us, client comes first and our chambers aggressively defends the rights and interests of the clients through tenacity and dedication. We value the trust which clients keep upon us and work harder to provide effective representation to meet the diverse legal needs of the clients. Rahman & Rabbi Legal delivers timely and cost-effective solutions through meticulous planning and punctilious implementation. We believe that the values we have created in this short period of time for delivering justice to the general people, expresses a strong commitment to the work of the chambers. And while doing this job we acknowledged the similarities and appreciates the differences as well. The chambers hold a friendly and warm environment for all the associates and trainees, where they can develop his or her potential accordingly. As a law chambers, the policy of chambers is committed to utilising the knowledge and differences of the members to achieve a better result and to serve our clients and community better.
It is the aim of the chambers is to ensure an environment which allows diverse and liberty to the lawyers to flourish and thus to advance professionally. Being part of a rapid developing country, the personnel of this chambers are required to be on its feet at all times. The chambers regularly advances advertisements regarding all vacancies internally as well as externally. For this reason, it is required to be familiar with the quality, value, and behavior with the clients, associates and staffs. The chambers considers that it is devoted to the job of developing, encouraging, and retaining lawyers from diverse community. Lawyers of this chambers maintain their aims, values, quality and hard work for advance practices and also for shaping the chambers’ tactical direction channel. The lawyers of the chambers are promoted exclusively on the basis of the abilities, qualifications, and experience. The chambers has been maintained a friendly environment with advance technological support. Generally lawyers of this chambers remain here for a long period of time.
- Advised a UK based multinational company in respect of International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) arbitral process in Washington DC, US and dispute resolution mechanism through the Dispute Settlement Board (DSB) of the World Trade Organization in Geneva.
- Represented Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) in a public demand recovery litigation arising out of failure of payment of license fees by an International Gateway (IGW) licensee – the claim is valued at over US$22 million
- Represented a US based apparel company in an employment dispute arising out of termination of one of its employees working with the Bangladesh country office
- Advised an export-oriented Chinese company doing business at the Mongla EPZ on transfer of company shares and on regularizing the consequential management change with the Registrar of Joint Stock Companies & Firms (RJSC)
- Represented a UK based multinational tobacco Company in a litigation regarding the infringement of trademark of one of its major brands and passing off its goods and been successful in obtaining a favourable judgment in less than six (06) months
- Advised as a retainer legal adviser a telecommunication company involved in the Nationwide Telecommunication Transmission Network (NTTN) business on different aspects of telecommunications laws and regulatory issues with the Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC)
- Represented a multinational Company in a compensation claim arising out of losses occurred from trademark infringement and passing off its goods – the claim is valued at over US$11 million
- Advised a trans-national consortium consisting of counterparts from Bangladesh and Malaysia involved in structural development of the National High-tech Park under the regulatory framework of the National High-tech Park Authority of Bangladesh
- Represented one of the largest privately owned scheduled banks of Bangladesh in a number of financial transaction litigations before the Supreme Court of Bangladesh
- Advised a multinational company on the possibility and procedure of trans-border transactions of its employee phantom shares as foreign securities under the auspices of foreign outward remittance guidelines of Bangladesh Bank
- Advised a leading telecommunication company of Bangladesh on formation of its Board of Directors (BOD), share management, vertical & horizontal merger, sharing of Point of Presence (PoP) including the legality of laying the last mile fiber by mobile operators
- Successfully represented a multinational tobacco company before the consumer courts of Bangladesh in a number of consumer-complaints brought by individual consumers as well as consumers associations
- Advised a leading power grid company of Bangladesh in respect of its corporate governance including regularization of company returns with the Registrar of Joint Stock Companies & Firms (RJSC)
- Represented a multinational company in a major commercial fraud litigation arising out of criminal breach of trust through the generation of fraudulent split purchase orders by one of its employee – the claim is valued over US$11 million
- Advised a telecommunication company in respect of leasing out of its infrastructure including fiber optic cable network and transmission capacity for the purpose of building point to point data connectivity within the auspices of the Infrastructure Sharing Guidelines of the telecommunication regulator of Bangladesh
CLIENT: Syed Afzal Hossain, Commercial & Litigation Counsel
COMPANY/FIRM: British American Tobacco Bangladesh Company Limited
TESTIMONIAL: Barrister Md. Monzur Rabbi is a very professional and result orientated lawyer. He has an excellent legal knowledge and he uses this to give the best outcome for clients. I have found Rahman & Rabbi Legal to be professional in their approach, ethical in standards and highly reliable in delivering on their commitments.
CLIENT: Legal Division
COMPANY/FIRM: NRB BANK
TESTIMONIAL: Rahman & Rabbi Legal is a highly potential law chambers in Bangladesh. Barrister Md. Monzur Rabbi is a versatile person in the legal arena and is a trusted advisor in commercial matters.
CLIENT: Rahile Awan
COMPANY/FIRM: Carhartt WIP, Germany
TESTIMONIAL: Rahman & Rabbi Legal is a standard and highly reliable law chambers. It has provided us with a consistently high-quality responsive service across various disciplines. Throughout this long period, we have found them to be professional who always delivers standard work products. .
CLIENT: Legal Division
COMPANY/FIRM: Islami Bank Bangladesh Limited
TESTIMONIAL: Barrister Md. Monzur Rabbi is a highly qualified and sharp minded counsel who has strategic observation regarding every legal matter. He provides us fruitful work with responsibility and hard work.
CLIENT: Head of HR
COMPANY/FIRM: Fiber @ Home Limited
TESTIMONIAL: Rahman & Rabbi Legal is such kind of law chambers where clients shall get satisfaction with excellent work. They always give unconditional support to our every legal matter. Barrister Md. Monzur Rabbi sincerely manages our legal matters and therefore we highly value our relationship with the firm.
Md. Monzur Rabbi, Senior Partner & Head of Chambers
What do you see as the main points that differentiate Rahman & Rabbi Legal from your competitors?
Our chambers Rahman & Rabbi Legal delivers appropriate and cost-effective solutions for our clients through meticulous planning and punctilious implementation. To us, client comes first and the set of chambers aggressively defends the rights and interests of the clients through tenacity and dedication. We value the trust clients keep upon us and work hard to provide effective representation to meet their diverse legal needs. The foundation of Rahman & Rabbi Legal is based on hard work and devotion. From these two elements, we make a favorable approach to our clients. Apart from the clients with litigation matters, we are always concerned as to whether the disputes of the clients can be solved outside court. Therefore, once we receive appropriate instructions from the clients, we always try to resolve the issues through arbitration or mediation. Client satisfaction top priority and our clients usually stay with us for a long period of time.
Which practices do you see growing in the next 12 months? What are the drivers behind that?
Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) is an emerging mechanism to resolve disputes in Bangladesh. We always expect to avoid leniency and procrastination at a dispute, and therefore, we always aim for a speedy dispute resolution. Both the Partners of this set of chambers are highly efficient in resolving disputes through ADR process and they are skilled at both the adjudicative and consensual processes. We have experience of handling a wide variety of civil disputes and proceedings, domestic and international arbitrations, statutory and regulatory proceedings, criminal proceedings in a corporate context and assisting in formulating litigation strategies relating to foreign investments and corporate transactions. Our advice extends across all avenues of dispute resolution, including litigation and arbitration and across diverse sectors such as banking and finance, competition, construction and engineering, corporate, employment and pensions, employee benefits, financial services, fraud and financial crime, group litigation, professional negligence, real estate, restructuring, insolvency, trusts, succession and probate matters. Apart from arbitration and mediation, we have good experience in settlement negotiations and we have used negotiation to resolve a number of disputes at a pre-litigation stage.
What’s the main change you’ve made in the firm that will benefit clients?
We have a resourceful library which helps us developing legal research within a short notice. Large volumes of books by well-known authors along with references for legal research are available at our library. For more legal information, we have the access on the different online legal research services which is very significant for new-generation law firms. Technology is something we have always prioritized since we are breathing in Digital Bangladesh. In Rahman and Rabbi Legal, we put the client before us. We hire efficient associates who are eligible and well-trained to handle big corporate clients. We have separate team of lawyers for Supreme Court, District Court and corporate matters. We believe in transparency and accountability and we maintain client’s privacy very well.
Is technology changing the way you interact with your clients, and the services you can provide them?
Availability is key when keeping clients and lawyer’s relationship intact. We know that in this bustling and rapidly growing economy, how busy our clients are and can be. Due to which we always encourage our clients to be technologically active. Technology enables us to contact our clients when they are outside the country for other business or personal matters. Technology has also made facile for us to pass information from the chambers to the court or elsewhere. We keep all our records updated in our own server which enables us to search any previous cases we were involved with in matter of seconds.
Can you give us a practical example of how you have helped a client to add value to their business?
We have been working on trademark disputes for a reputed multinational company. That company is involved in tobacco business and tobaccotrademark matters are very sensitive in our jurisdiction. We have restricted laws for controlling tobacco product. To stay within the law, tobacco industry needs legal opinion and marketing team needs direction from us.On the other hand, there was a lot of matter relating to the infringement of the brands of tobacco industry which is illegal in our context. In those matters, we helped our clients for closing those brands which brand is infringed the mark.
Are clients looking for stability and strategic direction from their law firms – where do you see the firm in three years’ time?
Generally, clients look for a stable law firm which can guide them to strategic direction for a better progress. Currently, clients not only want legal advice but also look for strategic advicesto create an impact on their marketing, management and administrative matters. In view of that fact, corporate clients want to do their works within the ambit of legal framework for their business stability.In the coming years, Rahman and Rabbi Legal shall focus more on different methods of dispute resolution including the international arbitration for cross boarder matters. We are taking international commercial disputes in broaderprospective and in case it requires, in future, we may even opt for an office out of the country to ensure facilities to our foreign clients.
Rahman & Rabbi Legal is headed by Md. Monzur Rabbi, Barrister, who is a Fulbright Scholar on International Arbitration. Rahman & Rabbi Legal delivers timely and cost-effective solutions in contracts and transactions with an emphasis on thorough investigation and meticulous planning. Since its founding, Rahman & Rabbi Legal has represented clients ranging from private individuals to small businesses and large corporations. The Chambers includes Barristers and Advocates highly experienced in corporate-legal matters. This chambers had previously advised foreign investors in respect of International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) arbitral process and the dispute resolution mechanism through the Dispute Settlement Board (DSB) of the World Trade Organization.