Mendoza Abogados > Bogota, Colombia > Firm Profile
Mendoza Abogados Offices
CALLE 81 #11 - 55, PISO 9
Mendoza Abogados > The Legal 500 RankingsMendoza Abogados is highlighted for its ‘great scope of practice‘. A boutique firm with a focus on finance, infrastructure and energy, it stands out for its increasingly impressive track record in cross-border deals, particularly those governed by New York law, as well as its ability to represent both borrowers and lenders. Name partner and prolific finance specialist Mateo Mendoza is held up by sources for his ‘unparalleled experience‘. Mendoza led on several cutting-edge deals over the past year, including advising Bodytech on a debt refinancing involving six Colombian banks worth up to $80m — notably, this represented the first time that a mini-perm structure was used in a purely corporate structure in Colombia. Senior associate Clara Robledo-Sánchez heads the project finance and infrastructure practice and recently acted for the lenders (Bancolombia, Banco de Occidente, Banco de Bogotá and Banco Santander de Negocios Colombia) on an amended and restated syndicated loan agreement to originate and acquire receivables derived from consumer loans. The group also includes capable mid-level associates Christina Burn (corporate finance, project finance and regulation) and Paula Knudson (finance and capital markets). Associates María Esther Eljach and Luis Tolosa are also singled out by clients.
Mateo Mendoza; Clara Robledo-Sanchez
‘Mendoza Abogados is a small firm, with a great scope of practice. The attention provided to the client is close and personalised.‘
‘Mateo Mendoza has unparalleled experience, which ensures that transactions are efficient.’
‘An excellent interdisciplinary team; everyone brings their own experience to the task in hand and is always available to us.’
‘A very capable team, with great knowledge of regulations and always able to provide the most appropriate suggestions when we need them. I would recommend them over any other big firm.’
‘In one project we worked with Christina Burn and Luis Tolosa and in another project with Clara Robledo-Sanchez and María Esther Eljach. Both teams were led by Mateo Mendoza, who was always very committed and involved in all operations. He is an excellent leader and example to his teams.’
Inversiones en Recreacion Deporte y Salud – Bodytech
Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional (FDN)
Distrito Especial, Industrial y Portuario de Barranquilla
Banco de Occidente
Banco de Bogota
Banca De Inversion Bancolombia
- Advised Bodytech on the refinancing of its debt with six Colombian banks, worth up to $80m — the security package included collateral in Colombia, Spain, Chile, and Peru.
- Advised the City of Barranquilla on the negotiation of a $100m bridge loan — structured as a crédito transitorio externo pursuant to Colombian public-credit regulation — to support investment in infrastructure projects.
- Acted for the lenders (Bancolombia, Banco de Occidente, Banco de Bogotá and Banco Santander de Negocios Colombia) on an amended and restated syndicated loan agreement to originate and acquire receivables derived from consumer loans granted by Credivalores to its clients.
Colombia > Capital markets Tier 3‘Fast, assertive and efficient‘, Mendoza Abogados‘ group is valued for its ability to ‘remain very close to the client‘. The boutique firm has an emphasis on debt capital markets and structured finance work, including securitisations, on which it represents both issuers and underwriters. Among the names to note, founding partner Mateo Mendoza handles corporate finance, project finance and derivatives transactions, while director Clara Robledo-Sánchez has a focus on infrastructure-related matters, including project bond offerings. Associates Christina Burn and Paula Knudson provide support. Senior associate María Beatriz Segura left in July 2021 to join ACON Investments.
Matthew Mendoza; Clara Robledo-Sanchez
‘It is a team of very good professionals, who remain very close to the client and have the ability to generate trust in negotiations.’
‘We value the responsive service provided by all associates and their great professionalism.’
‘I have worked with the firm for years on complex issues, with many different contracts and documents, under different laws. The team’s approach is fast, assertive and efficient. In general, other firms put in twice as many lawyers, including a lot of juniors, who have a high turnover and provide insignificant contributions.’
‘They are expert lawyers in financial matters, with a great capacity to approach solutions in a timely manner.’
‘Mateo Mendoza is exceptional and associate Christina Burn is excellent.’
Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional
Distrito Especial Industrial y Portuario de Barranquilla
- Advised Primax Colombia on regulatory matters in connection with its obligations under the Colombian capital markets regime.
- Advised Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional on the analysis of its capacity as special financial corporation to undertake securities underwriting activities in Colombia.
- Advised Inversiones Alsacia and Express de Santiago Uno, and their sponsors, on matters arising from the restructuring of a $367m notes offering under Rule 144A/Reg.S by Inversiones Alsacia in 2020.