LC Lawyers LLP > Hong Kong, Hong Kong > Firm Profile
LC Lawyers LLP Offices
Suite 3106, 31/F One Taikoo Place
979 King’s Road, Quarry Bay
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
- Client Testimonial
- Pro Bono
- Press Releases
LC Lawyers LLP > Firm Profile
The firm: LC Lawyers LLP is an independent law firm, and the Hong Kong law firm member of the EY global network, in collaboration with other law firm members.
Our lawyers provide comprehensive legal services for:
- mergers and acquisitions, amalgamations, listed company takeovers, privatizations, reverse takeovers, disposals, joint ventures, partnerships, tender offers, auctions and spin-offs
- corporate restructuring and taxation optimization
- listings and public offerings (including IPOs, dual listing, secondary offerings), corporate finance (equity and debt), pre-IPO investments, pre-IPO strategic corporate reorganizations, post-listing compliance, corporate governance, post-IPO securities offerings and spin-off listing
- debt offerings including Eurobonds, dim sum bonds, bonds of investment grades, high-yield bonds and green bonds
- fund formation, private equity and asset management
- debt restructurings, insolvency, re-financing, angel investments
- dispute resolution including litigation, arbitration, mediation
- regulatory enforcement and investigations, pre-acquisition due diligence, post-acquisition risk assessment and integration, risk management, internal controls and governance
- employment contracts, discrimination and harassment issues, employment disputes
- financial services
- commercial contracts
- employee share-based incentive plans
- family enterprises, wealth management, family trusts
- cybersecurity and data privacy
Corporate/M&A: We represent multinational, PRC and Hong Kong corporations, financial institutions, listed issuers, private equity and asset management, governmental authorities and official bodies, as well as private clients on mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance transactions.
Dispute resolution: We act for corporations and individuals in governance, regulatory and internal investigations, corporate compliance counselling, disputes relating to directors’ and officers’ liability, shareholders’ remedies, investments and joint ventures, insolvency, asset-tracing claims, recovery actions and insurance litigation.
EY Law: EY Law network consists of over 3,400 professionals providing legal services in more than 90 jurisdictions globally to offer clients cross-border and integrated legal services with a sector-focused multidisciplinary approach.
With the wide coverage, EY Law is equipped to provide tailored solutions for clients to overcome the complex cross-border regulatory environment and advise on Belt-and-Road Initiatives. EY Law, together with EY’s services lines, provides extensive multidisciplinary services on cross-border investments (including Belt and Road Initiatives) in areas such as project assessment, governmental relations, project financing, project life cycle management, documentation, legal compliance, transactional management and corporate social responsibility.
AWARDS AND ACCOLADES
- Recommended Firm in Capital Markets (2020-2023) by asialaw
- Notable Firm in Corporate and M&A (2020-2023), Dispute Resolution (2021-2023), Regulatory (2021-2023) by asialaw
- Finalist for Hong Kong SAR Firm of the Year (2022/23) by asialaw Awards
- Notable Firm for the Hong Kong market (2020-2022) in “ALB M&A Rankings” by Asian Legal Business
- Notable Firm in M&A (2020-2022), Capital Markets: Equity (2021-2022), Capital Markets: Debt (2022), Restructuring and Insolvency (2021-2022) by IFLR1000
- Ranked Firm as a Hong Kong: Domestic Specialist (2021-2022) by Legal Media 360
- Finalist for Financial Deal of the Year, Rising Law Firm of the Year, Transactional Boutique Law Firm of the Year (2022) in “ALB Hong Kong Law Awards 2022” by Asian Legal Business
- Finalist for Rising Law Firm of the Year (2020-2022) in “ALB Hong Kong Law Awards” by Asian Legal Business
- Accredited as an Exclusive Recommended M&A Firm in Hong Kong (2022) by Leaders in Law
- Finalist for Securities Deal of the Year: Equity (2022) in “The Asia Legal Awards 2022” by Law.com International, ALM Media
- Firm to Watch in Corporate (including M&A): Hong Kong (2022) by Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Finalist for National Law Firm of the Year: Hong Kong SAR (2022) in “IFLR Asia-Pacific Awards 2022”, by IFLR
- Notable Firm in Commercial and Transactions (Domestic Firms) (2021-2022) by Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific
- Honourable Mention for Hong Kong Corporate and M&A at the In-House Community Firms of the Year Awards 2021
- Accredited as an Exclusive Recommended M&A Firm in Hong Kong by Global Law Experts (2021-2022)
- Winner in Hong Kong Client Service Excellence Award at asialaw Awards (2021) by Asialaw
- The Highest Rated Law Firm to work with of the Year in Corporate and M&A: Hong Kong (2021), Capital Markets: Hong Kong (2021) by asialaw Client Service Excellence
- China Business Law Firm in categories: Pro-bono and Technology & Telecom (2021) by China Business Law Journal
- Finalist for Most Innovative National Law Firm of the Year (2021) in “IFLR Asia-Pacific Awards 2021”, by IFLR
- Asia’s Most Trusted Legal Consulting Services of the Year (2021) in “HKMOB Awards 2021” by CORPHUB
- Top 20 Most Innovative Law Firms as “Highly Commended” Responsible Law Firm (2020) and “Commended” Innovative Practice of Law (2020) in Asia-Pacific, by Financial Times
- Deals of the Year in Pro-bono service (2020) by China Business Law Journal
- Finalist for China Practice, Asian Law Firm of the Year (2020) in “ALB China Law Awards 2020” by Asian Legal Business
- Gold Law Firm Award in Pro-bono service (2019-2021) by The Law Society of Hong Kong
- Lexology Legal Influencer in Q1/2021 Future of legal services – Cross-border by Lexology
|Ms ROSSANA CHU||Rossana Chu is the Managing Partner and Partner of Corporate/M&A Department of…||View Profile|
|Mr LI FAI||LI Fai is a Partner of LC Lawyers LLP. He has significant…||View Profile|
|Ms DIANE FAN||Diane Fan, is a Counsel of LC Lawyers LLP, advises on U.S.…||View Profile|
|Mr PHILIP KWOK||Philip Kwok is a Counsel of LC Lawyers LLP. Philip’s practice focuses…||View Profile|
|Ms KAREENA TEH||Kareena Teh is a Partner of LC Lawyers LLP. Kareena represents corporations…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresPartners : 3 Lawyers : 11 In EY global network : 3,400+
LanguagesEnglish Mandarin Cantonese
MembershipsEY Law network EY Global Network (previously Ernst & Young)
CLIENT: Philip NG – Head of Legal and Compliance, Legal and Compliance Department
COMPANY/FIRM: CMB International Capital Corporation Limited
TESTIMONIAL: Rossana Chu of LC Lawyers is undoubtedly a seasoned and experienced legal practitioner with plenty of skills to offer. From mega M&A and corporate finance deals to ad hoc specific advice in relation to some SFC’s rules, she has consistently demonstrated in-depth knowledge of the letter of the law whilst the commercial practicality and usefulness of the advice is never compromised. Her understanding of Chinese institutions, culture and complexity involved is unrivalled, including deals and transactions with cross border elements. Her responsiveness to questions has been impressive even during unsociable hours. Overall, you will get what you wanted at a very reasonable price and in a timely manner.
CLIENT: Horace CHU – Director
COMPANY/FIRM: Ample Capital Limited
TESTIMONIAL: LC Lawyers has been acted as Ample Capital Limited’s lawyer on a Hong Kong IPO engagement. I am very impressed by the professionalism of Rossana and her team. Her team has excellent IPO and listing rule knowledge, which made them capable on advising various complex legal issues during the IPO process. I will recommend Rossana and her team to others without any hesitation.
CLIENT: Ricky LAI – Company Secretary
COMPANY/FIRM: HKC (Holdings) Limited
TESTIMONIAL: As a Hong Kong listed company engaged in property development and investment as well as renewable energy business in China, we are constantly facing different compliance and legal challenges from both jurisdictions. Rossana Chu and her firm has constantly provided valuable advices and resources in helping us to deal with these challenges and to resolve them in a more than satisfactory manner. They are true professionals and valuable partners to us.
CLIENT: Lewis LAI – Director
COMPANY/FIRM: Red Sun Capital Limited
TESTIMONIAL: LC Lawyers has been advising us on an IPO engagement, the team is led by the highly experienced Rossana Chu. I am very impressed with the professionalism of Rossana and her team. They have been attentive and excellent throughout the course of the engagement. Their IPO legal advice is practical and to the point. The engagement team has good IPO knowledge with strong business acumen. We would recommend Rossana and her team to others without any hesitation.
CLIENT: LU Tao – Investment Director
COMPANY/FIRM: Hanergy Mobile Energy Holding Co., Ltd.
TESTIMONIAL: Rossana Chu, Managing Partner of LC Lawyers LLP and her team have been legal advisers worthy of our trust. They are able to deal with complex transactions in an ever-changing environment. Their practical insights and professional legal advice help Hanergy in making informed decisions. We cannot think of our work without her help in the complex process of listing and delisting, and also working with regularities.
CLIENT: Daphne TSE – Chief Financial Officer and Company Secretary
COMPANY/FIRM: Greenheart Group
TESTIMONIAL: I have worked with Rossana and her team for many years. Her team was very responsive and quick to provide solutions. Rossana provides us with wise counsel and good guidance. I am extremely pleased with the level of professionalism and expertise Rossana and her team has brought to our company over the years. Rossana is well versed with the Hong Kong Listing Rules and Takeover Codes. Her experience and knowledge gives us a sense of confidence that a true professional is always standing shoulder to shoulder with us to safeguard our company’s interest anytime if needed.
CLIENT: Steve LEE – Financial Controller and Company Secretary
COMPANY/FIRM: IMS Group Holdings Limited
TESTIMONIAL: Rossana and her team have provided continuous support to our company and helped us resolve every technical issue that we encountered in our day-to-day operation. They are responsive and the advices they provided are all-rounded and insightful. The services they delivered always meet our needs and may even go above and beyond our expectations.
CLIENT: Joyce H.T. Li – Assistant Financial Controller
COMPANY/FIRM: Chun Wo Property Development Limited (Subsidiary of Chun Wo Development Holdings Limited)
TESTIMONIAL: LC Lawyers LLP achieved remarkable results. Not only was the team professionally strong, but also had the ability to stand in customer’s perspective and consider issues, and it effectively helped us solve many key issues. This kind of selflessness and feelings can’t be felt at other partners. The Managing Partner of LC Lawyers LLP, Rossana Chu, is an experienced lawyer and a successful leader. We have maintained long-term cooperation with her and her team. Her help for us is all-round. She gave us guidance in strategic height in addition to professional one.
CLIENT: Keres Pang – Company Secretarial Manager
COMPANY/FIRM: Asia Allied Infrastructure Holdings Limited (Stock Code: 00711)
TESTIMONIAL: LC Lawyers LLP has become the legal adviser worthy of our company. We are very satisfied with their performance. Rossana and her staff stayed in close contact with us and are highly professional, thoughtful, and very experienced and knowledgeable professional service and client advocate. We are thankful that we selected LC Lawyers LLP to represent us and would highly recommend them.
CLIENT: Bill Zhou (General Counsel) and Alice Song (Legal Counsel)
COMPANY/FIRM: Fullshare Holdings Limited
TESTIMONIAL: LC Lawyers LLP has achieved spectacular results in a short period of time. The firm is led by Managing Partner, Ms. Rossana Chu, a very experienced lawyer and to whom we have long cooperation relationship with. We are grateful to have worked with a team of competent professionals who have extensive knowledge in corporate finance and capital markets, who not only provide high standard legal services responsively, but are also communicative and understanding to what clients really need.
CLIENT: Kelly Tai, Company Secretary
COMPANY/FIRM: Li Ning Company Limited
TESTIMONIAL: We have known Ms. Rossana Chu, the Managing Partner of LC Lawyers LLP, for many years and she and her team are always the legal counsel we think of when we need legal advices. Both Rossana and her professional team are practically experienced in the capital markets and corporate finance fields. With their efficient high-quality work and attentiveness to clients, it is always reassuring to work with Rossana and her team.
CLIENT: Douglas MACLEAN – Executive Director
COMPANY/FIRM: Justice Without Borders
TESTIMONIAL: Kareena and her team’s achievement in this pro bono project not only significantly improves access to justice of the underprivileged applicants, but also takes Hong Kong one big step forward towards use of technology and video link in Hong Kong’s dispute resolution systems.
LC Lawyers LLP is committed to providing pro bono legal services to society. One example is our pro bono efforts and cooperation with Justice Without Borders (“JWB”), a non-profit organization that supports women of racial/ethnic minorities who are victims of labor exploitation and human trafficking in seeking just compensation, by finding a way for migrant domestic workers to continue their claims from abroad. In recognition of our pro bono efforts, our firm was awarded “Gold Law Firm Award” by the Law Society of Hong Kong in 2019 and recognized in the EY global award program.
In December 2017, our partner, Ms. Kareena Teh and her team collaborated with JWB in running a test case for a domestic worker, who had left Hong Kong due to family reasons, to apply to be represented by a trade union representative during the substantive hearing of her case, and to testify via video conferencing facilities (VCF) in the Hong Kong Labour Tribunal from her home in the Philippines. Unfortunately, both applications were refused, and the domestic worker’s claims were struck out due to her inability to attend the Hong Kong hearing in person.
We then represented the domestic worker in the Court of First Instance (“CFI”) in obtaining leave to appeal and in the appeal itself. In a landmark ruling, the CFI overturned the earlier Labour Tribunal decision and remitted them back to the Labour Tribunal for re-hearing. The CFI confirmed the availability of the Technology Court and its VCF. The Court also observed that technology was being used more commonly and frequently in the administration of justice, more VCF were available within the court system, and giving evidence by VCF could be an efficient and effective way of giving oral evidence. As confirmed by the CFI, the Labour Tribunal had the discretion to allow trade union representation as well as lay representation – the latter not merely in cases of necessity but to secure or promote convenience, expedition and efficiency in the administration of justice.
In February 2019, the Labour Tribunal re-considered the applications and made unprecedented orders allowing the domestic worker to be represented by a trade union representative during the substantive hearing of her case, and to testify via VCF from the Philippines. The two decisions are significant victories – they pave the way for other domestic workers who wish to pursue their claims in Labour Tribunal of Hong Kong even after they have returned to their home countries.
The CFI decision illustrates how the Hong Kong Court could benefit from technologies. Also, it may have long-term implications, e.g., the use of televised court proceedings, public access to computerized information systems, and simultaneous court transcription providing participants and the public with access to court proceedings. These measures may improve the administration of justice in Hong Kong and minimize disruptions to court operation in epidemics.
Press Releases27th June 2022 The Hong Kong Law Society announced the results of Pro Bono and Community Work Recognition Programme 2021 (“the 2021 Programme”) on 29 November 2021. We are delighted to announce that LC Lawyers LLP has won five accolades at the 2021 Programme including Pro Bono Law Firm Award and four Individual Awards.
- Corporate (including M&A)