Rhys Clift > Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP Offices
125 WOOD STREET
- Go to...
Shipping, Commercial dispute resolution
Rhys is a partner in the London office and a member of the shipping team. He has over 35 years’ experience in commercial litigation and arbitration, specialising in a wide range of insurance and reinsurance (marine and non-marine), in maritime casualties, such as groundings, explosions, fires and structural failures, as well as piracy, kidnap and ransom, political violence and offshore construction. Rhys has a particular interest in crisis management and cyber hazard. He is an active commercial mediator at SeaMediation.com and a listed Distinguished Neutral at CPR in New York.
Rhys is the author of Alternative Dispute Resolution: Mediation in England and Wales, the second edition, published in 2019, and the principal architect and co-author of Alternative Dispute Resolution in Practice, published by the Institute of Insurance of London in 2011.
Rhys joined Thomas Cooper in May 2018 from Hill Dickinson where he spent 36 years in the shipping and insurance departments. He was managing partner of Hill Taylor Dickinson between 1999-2003.
He has a law degree from the University of Wales, Aberystwyth and a postgraduate degree from the University of Aix/Marseille.
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP‘s London team is led by senior partner Rhys Clift, who holds over 35 years’ experience in insurance and reinsurance. Marine insurance, coverage disputes and credit risk are his key areas, working alongside consultant John Strange, associate director Louise High and Guildford-based travel law head Mark Lee.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Dispute resolution > Commodities disputes
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Court of protection
- Employment > Employees/unions
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Immigration
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Transport > Travel
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Public sector > Education: institutions
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Employment > Senior executives
- Transport > Shipping
- Finance > Trade finance
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Public sector > Education: schools
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Insurance > Product liability: defendant
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Social housing: local authorities and registered providers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Employment > Employers
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Real estate > Property litigation