Christopher Nott > Capital Law Limited > Cardiff, Wales > Lawyer Profile
Capital Law Limited Offices
- Go to...
Chris Nott is a founder of Capital Law and a director of the firm’s integrated HR management consultancy, Capital People.
Since founding Capital Law in 2006, Chris has seen it grow to 140 employees, with a turnover of over £10million.
He’s been a commercial lawyer for over 30 years, working mainly on business disputes, such as a £100m claim by employees against their former CEO who had misappropriated their shares, and Cardiff City’s dispute with Sam Hammam.
In 2016, he developed Capital Dispute Finance, a £50m fund to enable Capitals clients to finance litigation. For this, Capital was highly commended by The Financial Times Innovation Awards, The Lawyer, and The Legal Week, and won the Cardiff Business Award.
Chris was Chair of the Welsh Government’s F&PS sector panel and is a member of its predecessor: the Ministerial Advisory Board. In 2016, Chris received an OBE for services to Business and Economic Development in Wales.
Chris is the Prince of Wales’ Business Ambassador for Wales. During his two-year appointment, he’ll be touring Wales, advocating what working responsibly means in practice.
He’s also a Director of the Cardiff Blues, and a founder of Knife and Fork food.
“I have worked with Chris for almost 15 years in one way or another. In that period, he has never let me down, a pretty rare quality in business. Chris listens very carefully and responds with pragmatic, understandable advice. He is very lateral thinking and provides solutions that make commercial sense. He’s also a great guy to chew the fat with a very good shoulder to lean on.”
Christopher Winston-Smith, CWS Partners
- Founder and Managing Partner of Capital (2006 – present)
- Founder & Partner of Palser Grossman (1992 – 2006)
- Part time Judge in Birmingham for eight years. Chris sat in employment tribunals. His main (very modest) claim to judicial fame is that he was never appealed.
- Partner Edward Lewis & Co (1988 – 1992)
- Solicitor, Simmons & Simmons (1984 – 1988)
- Loosemoores (1981 – 1984)
- Vice-Chair of the Welsh Government’s Ministerial Advisory Board
- Chair of the Welsh Government’s Financial & Professional Services sector panel
- Initial Chair and then member of the Central Cardiff Enterprise Zone
- Member of the Task & Finish Group for Development Bank for Wales
- Director of University of South Wales
- Chairman of The Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, (2007-2011)
- Non-Executive Director of Cardiff Blues
- Founder and Chairman of Knife and Fork Limited (pub and restaurant group)
- Trustee of Monmouth Haberdashers Schools Trust
- Member of BBC Audience Council for Wales
- University of West of England: Law Society Finals
- University of Wales Aberystwyth: Evan Davies Scholarship LLB Law 2:1 (1977 – 1980)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Corporate and commercial
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Recommended Firms
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Real estate > Construction
- Real estate > Social housing