Marlies Hoecherl > Capital Law Limited > Cardiff, Wales > Lawyer Profile
Capital Law Limited Offices
- Go to...
Corporate & Commercial
Marlies is a Partner in our Corporate & Commercial team. She manages a wide corporate and commercial practice, often with an international or cross border angle.
Marlies advises on mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganisations, commercial contracts including SLAs, and commercial joint ventures, mostly cross border. She has specialist expertise in the education and food and drink sectors.
Marlies is very experienced in non-contentious insolvency transactions and restructuring including pre-packs and cross border insolvency transactions. She has also advised foreign clients on UK insolvency issues and transactions and director’s duties and liabilities and with the assistance of an extensive network of foreign lawyers, UK clients on foreign insolvency issues.
Marlies leads Capital’s international offering, heading both the Chinese and German desks. She also heads our Brexit team: providing advice on Brexit, and speaking regularly on the subject, both in the UK and abroad.
Marlies holds a master’s degree and PhD in Archaeology, speaks German and French fluently, and reads Italian and Spanish.
She is the Vice Chair of Consulegis, the international network of independent law firms, and of the Sherman Cymru Theatre. She also talks to of Welsh students generally about the benefit of modern foreign languages in the workplace.
In June 2020, she was appointed to represent Switzerland in Wales and act as Honorary Consul in Cardiff.
- Partner, Capital Law Limited (2013 – present)
- Associate, Capital Law LLP (2005 – 2013)
- Associate, RDP Law (2001 – 2005)
- Trainee and Solicitor, Morgan Cole (1996 – 2001)
German (fluent), French (fluent), Italian (reading), Spanish (reading), basic knowledge of several others.
The Law Society of England and Wales
Vice Chair of the Board of International Legal Network Consulegis
Vice Chair of Sherman Cymru Theatre in Cardiff
Honorary Counsul of Switzerland in Cardiff
- Cardiff University: Archaeology PhD (2010)
- University of West of England: LPC (1997)
- University College London: Bachelor of Law (LL.B) (1985)
Archaeology, reading, riding, theatre, travel.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Corporate and commercial
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Recommended Firms
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Real estate > Construction
- Real estate > Social housing