Maria Coggins > Capital Law Limited > Cardiff, Wales > Lawyer Profile
Capital Law Limited Offices
- Go to...
Corporate & Commercial
Maria is a Partner in our Corporate & Commercial team, she also leads our Commercial team. She specialises in commercial contracts and data protection. Maria also has a dual specialism in corporate restructuring.
Maria advises clients on all aspects of their commercial legal relationships with third parties, helping them negotiate their commercial contracts and advising them on their outsourcing, commercial procurement and joint ventures. Maria advises on a range of regulatory and compliance matters including corporate governance and anti-money laundering compliance. She has expertise in data protection, helping clients to comply with the law and ensuring they have the correct policies and documents in place.
Maria also has expertise in corporate restructuring, acting for companies and insolvency practitioners and advising clients on their duties as directors, insolvency procedures and restructuring options including advice on security and banking documents.
She works with in-house legal teams and business development and finance teams. Maria completed a ten month secondment with Orange, working in their Group Fraud and Revenue Assurance Team, providing support in respect of anti-corruption programmes. Maria also completed a four month secondment with Dragon LNG, working with their commercial team advising on commercial procurement and commercial supply contracts.
Maria is a qualified trainer and provides training to clients on contract management, data protection, anti-money laundering, directors’ duties and effective management of legal risk.
Maria is a Trustee of Age Cymru, the national charity for older people in Wales and a member of Glas Cymru.
- Partner, Capital Law Limited (2019 – present)
- Senior Associate, Capital Law Limited (2017 – 2019)
- Associate, Capital Law LLP 2014 – 2017)
- Solicitor, Capital Law LLP (2005 – 2014)
- Legal Assistant, Eversheds (2001 – 2005)
The Law Society of England and Wales
- Chartered Institute of Environmental Health: CIEH Level 3 Award in Training Principles and Practice
- University of Wales: LPC
- University of Wales: Law Degree
Displaying ‘dedication beyond the call of duty, along with expertise and professionalism’, Capital Law Limited provides a ‘solutions-led‘ approach to private and listed companies on transactional work in the immediate geographical confines, as well as beyond the Welsh borders. Under the guidance of ‘unassuming and intelligent’ corporate head Tom Kelleher and ‘effervescent’ senior partner Duncan Macintosh (who was himself formerly in-house counsel at 3i Group), the team has particularly strong credentials among stakeholders within the private equity/growth capital sector, including funds and management teams. As well as his continued work for core client WestBridge on an array of investments and exits, Kelleher also recently deepened the firm’s ties with BGF, acting for it for the first time in a sponsor capacity in relation to its investment in Welsh online retailer Fun Brands Group. ‘Passionate and talented‘ senior associates Laura Spendiff and Gareth Williams-Davies are also key members of team and are recognised as the ‘next generation of business leaders‘ for the firm. Maria Coggins leads the commercial offering at the firm and excels in advising on commercial contracts and data protection. Philip Barratt joined TLT in December 2021.
Led by Maria Coggins , Capital Law Limited regularly advises clients on IT-related matters, including on the commercial contractual arrangements to facilitate large IT projects, as well as on software development, licensing and managed service solutions. Senior associate Chris Coughlan understands the ‘the nuances and vagaries of technologies and how this can be mitigated through legal documentation matters’ and has successfully grown the firm’s offering for technology clients since he joined in 2019.
Drawing upon the firm’s broader commercial litigation skills and the ability to provide clients, including a number of IPs, with the potential opportunity to fund cases utilising the firm’s litigation fund, Capital Law Limited ‘s sweet-spot lies in the context of contentious insolvency work. The ‘vastly experienced‘ Philip Jones takes the lead on much of this work and in the case of corporate insolvency mandates, he brings particular expertise to bear in relation to advise on directors’ duties. On the non-contentious front, Maria Coggins regularly handles corporate restructuring work as part of her broader commercial practice.
- Corporate and commercial - Wales
- Insolvency and corporate recovery - Wales > Finance
- IT and telecoms - Wales > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Corporate and commercial
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Recommended Firms
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Real estate > Construction
- Real estate > Social housing