David Lewis > Capital Law Limited > Cardiff, Wales > Lawyer Profile
Capital Law Limited Offices
- Go to...
Employment and Immigration
David is a Partner in our Employment & Immigration Team, who advises on contentious and non-contentious employment issues.
David provides guidance to companies, charities and professional sports clubs on all aspects of employment law and human resource issues. He has extensive experience in contentious matters, including tribunal litigation. His clients come from sectors ranging from industrial manufacturing, retail and IT/technology.
In addition to acting for businesses, David also advises senior executives on board level disputes and company exit strategy.
As well as employment law, David also specialises in sports law, working with clubs, professional athletes, coaches and management on matters particular to professional sport.
David regularly provides national newspaper and radio commentary on topical employment and sporting issues.
David has featured in the Legal 500 publication as one of the prominent associates in Wales and in Chambers and Partners as an “Up and Coming” Employment Lawyer in the Welsh region.
- Partner, Capital Law Limited, Nov 2019 – present)
- Senior Associate, Capital Law Limited (2018 – Nov 2019)
- Partner and Head of Department, Howells Solicitors, Cardiff (2016 – 2018)
- Associate Solicitor, Harding Evans LLP (2012 – 2016)
- Associate Solicitor, Paul Dodds Solicitors (2011 – 2012)
- Trainee / Solicitor, Passmores (2006 – 2011)
The Law Society of England and Wales
Employment Lawyers’ Association
- Cardiff Law School: LPC (2004 – 2005)
- University of Wales College Swansea: LLB Law (2001 – 2004)
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Headed by the ‘brilliant’ Richard Thomas, Capital Law Limited is best known for its employment litigation credentials, and regularly represents respondent employers, as well as a small but growing number of claimant executives, in disputes relating to, inter alia, unfair dismissals, discrimination and whistle blowing. Thomas himself has particular acclaim in the market for his trade union and labour relations expertise; he continues to oversee the firm’s litigation for the BMA and its members as claimants in a high-profile age discrimination class action regarding the NHS Pension Scheme 2015. Although he is primarily focused on contentious work, the ‘highly responsive‘ David Lewis also has a niche advising rugby players/coaches on contract/exit negotiations, as well as being adept at drafting restrictive covenants for businesses to ensure that they are effectively protected against data theft or the poaching of clients by former employees. Sarah Austin handles much of the work on the non-contentious front, including a significant amount of employment support work for private equity and corporate clients of the firm pursuant to their M&A activity.
Capital Law Limited‘s multi-disciplinary sports team provides ‘user-friendly and practical‘ advice to professional clubs, individuals and regulatory bodies across a wide range of sports, including football, rugby and cricket. The firm is sole legal advisor to Glamorgan Cricket Club and Cardiff City FC, and continues to advise the latter across a range of non-contentious and contentious matters, including the ongoing high-profile litigation with FC Nantes surrounding the tragic death of Emiliano Sala and the subsequent liability for the transfer fee. Commercial litigator and IP expert Wayne Beynon heads up the sports offering at the firm and is pivotal to much of the work handled for Cardiff City FC. David Lewis is also a key contact for sports-related work and represents numerous high-profile sports individuals across a range of employment and general commercial contracts work.
- Next Generation Partners - Wales > Employment > Employment: Recommended Firms
- Next Generation Partners - Wales > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Sport - Wales > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Employment: Recommended Firms - Wales > Employment
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Corporate and commercial
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: Recommended Firms
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Public sector
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Real estate > Construction
- Real estate > Social housing