Emil Arca > Hogan Lovells US LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Hogan Lovells US LLP Offices
875 THIRD AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10022
- Go to...
Corporate and Finance
Emil Arca is a partner in the firm’s global Capital Markets leadership team. He represents underwriters, placement agents, issuers, investors, lenders, borrowers, and insurers in debt capital markets, banking, and restructuring transactions in the United States and around the world, particularly in emerging markets. Originating in two dozen countries and involving diverse industries, many of the transactions were the first of their type involving a particular structure, asset type, or country.
Since 2001, Emil has had 11 transactions earn 23 “Deal of the Year” awards or other prominent recognitions. You may recognize a few of the honors: “Structured Finance and Securitisation Deal of the Year” for the Americas (IFLR, 2020); Financing Innovation of the Year and Structured Finance Deal of the Year (LatinFinance, 2014); Corporate Finance Deal of the Year (Latin Lawyer, 2014); commendations in the Financial Times 2019 and 2012 North American Innovative Lawyers awards; and Latin American Deal of the Year (Euromoney, 2010).
In emerging markets, Emil has worked with structured finance transactions backed by operating assets (airports, drill ships, mines, and toll roads); future flow cross-border assets (airline tickets, credit card merchant vouchers, diversified payment rights, export receivables, oil royalties, remittances, and telephone receivables); and existing financial assets (commercial real estate leases, construction loans, residential mortgage loans, telephone receivables, and vehicle loans and leases).
He has worked on U.S. securitization transactions backed by auto loans, equipment leases (aircraft, railcars, and small-ticket equipment), film distribution rights payments, franchise loans, health care receivables, insurance premium finance loans, merchandise royalties, mortgage loans (commercial, multi-family, and residential properties), natural resource rights payments, nonperforming assets, royalties, small business loans, and trade receivables.
J.D., University of Michigan Law School, 1985
B.A., University of Michigan, 1982
Hogan Lovells US LLP is best-known for sovereign debt restructurings, project finance, trade and receivables financings, and structured finance, derivatives and securitisation. It has strong connections to DFIs and MLAs, commercial lenders and Latin American borrowers. Ricardo Martinez has an impressive record in representing IDB Invest and DFC in Latin American financings, and is also noted for advising commercial lenders – including Asian banks. Evan Koster is also recognised for sovereign finance and debt restructurings, while Emil Arca is a leading name in derivatives and securitisation.
Hogan Lovells US LLP’s longstanding links to Latin America have provided the foundations for a thriving capital markets practice, notably in derivatives, structured finance and securitisation, along with sovereign bond offerings, project bonds and equity issuances. The firm is making a further impression in the green and sustainability-linked bonds segment. Emil Arca is a core member of the Latin America team and is a leader in structured finance and securitisation transactions, especially diversified payments rights securitisations. Sao Paulo’s Isabel Costa Carvalho is an experienced name in Brazil IPOs and follow-on offerings; she led the team that advised Caixa Seguridade on its $814m IPO. Evan Koster provides further expertise in sovereign bond offerings and derivatives. Ben Garcia is another key capital markets specialist with considerable Latin America experience. All named individuals are based in New York unless stated otherwise.
Hogan Lovells US LLP has significantly expanded its global offerings practice in recent years, not least through the impact of Richard Aftanas, a senior hire in 2020. This builds on the firm’s pre-existing success in Latin America offerings, in part through the Sao Paulo office, along with sovereign offerings and structured finance transactions. The capital markets team is also making solid progress in offerings originating in Europe. Emil Arca is a leader in structured finance transactions, including diversified payments rights deals. Evan Koster is a key figure in energy-related offerings and sovereign transactions. Sina Hekmat splits his time between New York and Frankfurt, and regularly advises on deals involving European issuers. All other named partners are based in New York.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Antitrust > Cartel
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Corporate governance
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- International Trade > International trade
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: regulatory
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: transactions
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - litigation and regulation
- Industry focus > Transport: rail and road - litigation and regulation
- Industry focus > Education
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Government > Government contracts
- Government > Government relations
- Industry focus > Healthcare: health insurers
- Industry focus > Healthcare: life sciences
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Media, technology and telecoms > Technology transactions
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: electric power
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Industry focus > Insurance: advice to insurers
- Dispute resolution > International litigation
- Tax > International tax
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Antitrust > Merger control
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Finance > Capital markets: global offerings
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Dispute resolution > Appellate: courts of appeals / Appellate: supreme courts (states and federal)
- Finance > Project finance