Douglas Millar > Lindsays > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
19A CANNING STREET
- Go to...
Dispute resolution and litigation.
Partner with over 35 years’ experience of commercial and civil litigation. Specialises in Delict (Tort), personal injury, commercial contracts, professional negligence, and partnership disputes, as well as having extensive experience of judicial review, and defamation.
Douglas is regularly involved in a variety of cases in the Sheriff Court and Court of Session covering many other areas of civil litigation, including insolvency, intellectual property, and Trust related matters. Douglas has also worked on numerous Commercial actions in the Court of Session. In Judicial Reviews, he has acted both for and against public sector bodies in disputes associated with procurement, Local Authority decisions to adopt roads, and successful challenges of Local Authority decisions relative to Liquor Licensing legislation. He has also been involved in a number of disputes involving Commercial Agency.
Douglas trained at Biggart Baillie & Gifford (now DWF). He qualified in 1981, and from 1986 to 2000 was a Litigation partner in John G Gray and Co. He moved to Lindsays in 2000 and has been Head of the Dispute Resolution team since 2006, and was on the Firm’s Management Board for 3 years.
SSC; Law Society of Scotland.
Merchiston Castle School; Aberdeen University (1979 LLB).
Running, reading, music.
Lindsays handles a wide range of commercial disputes pertaining to contractual and payment obligations, breach of contract and share acquisitions alongside property and agricultural-related matters and professional negligence. It also assists clients with claims against high street banks. In April 2020, John Bett, who acts for a large SME client base, took over the lead from commercial litigator Douglas Millar, whose particular strength lies in professional negligence.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Private client > Family
- Insurance > Medical negligence: pursuer
- Insurance > Personal injury: pursuer
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Employment > Employment
- Real estate > Property litigation