Sophie Kemp > Kingsley Napley LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Kingsley Napley LLP Offices
14 ST JOHN'S LANE
- Go to...
Sophie is an experienced public lawyer, advising on major Public Inquiries and Inquests, judicial review, police misconduct and data protection. She “grasps complex issues quickly and comprehensively” (Legal 500, 2015) and is currently acting in two major statutory inquiries. Clients describe her as a “consummate professional” and she is known for solid and thoughtful handling of sensitive cases.
Sophie acts for individuals, companies and regulatory bodies in judicial review litigation, and is very effective in resolving disputes at the pre-action stage for both claimants and defendants. Her clients include government agencies, the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, the Law Society, the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers, the General Dental Council, senior police officers, psychotherapy professionals.
Sophie has considerable inquiry experience representing individuals, institutions, public figures and senior professionals in major Public Inquiries, Inquests, IPCC investigations, and before Select Committees.
- Acting for families in the 7/7 Inquest following terrorist bombings in London
- Representing core participants in the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (the Jay Inquiry), investigating the extent to which institutions have failed to protect children from sexual abuse
- Advising Metropolitan Police Commander in connection with the Under Cover Policing Inquiry
- Advising Financial Conduct Authority employee in the Davis Inquiry
- Advising Chief Constable of Cumbria in connection with Home Affairs Select Committee hearings
Sophie advises institutions, businesses and regulatory bodies on data protection compliance, conducting audits on the safe handling of personal information, advising on large scale redaction projects and responding to subject access requests made during litigation. She also acts for business and professionals in connection with freedom of information requests.
Sophie acts for members of the Chief Police Officers Staff Association (CPOSA) in IPCC and local misconduct investigations as well as acting in public law matters, including Public Inquiries and judicial review litigation.
Under a team led by Adam Chapman, Kingsley Napley LLP handles market-defining issues in the field of administrative and public law. On the public inquiries front, Sophie Kemp and Emily Carter are retained by senior police officers, religious institutions, utilities regulators, former soldiers and patient safety charities to represent their interests in high-profile investigations. As an indicator of the diverse claimant work handled, political organisations across the spectrum – from The Liberal Democrats to Leave.EU Group – engaged the team on judicial review challenges against national broadcasters concerning election coverage, and the Electoral Commission concerning campaign finance rules. Iain Miller’s regulatory practice is a leading voice in advising and drafting governance and policy regimes for national regulators and government bodies, while also providing litigation support when needed.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Public sector > Administrative and public law
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals)
- Dispute resolution > Professional discipline
- Employment > Senior executives
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Family
- Private client > Family: mediation
- Private client > Court of protection
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Employment > Health and safety
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Real estate > Residential property
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Tax litigation and investigations
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Employment > Employers
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Employment > Immigration