Megan Christie-Copeland > JMW Solicitors LLP > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
JMW Solicitors LLP Offices
1 BYROM PLACE
- Go to...
Court of Protection
Megan joined JMW in September 2020 as Partner and Head of Court of Protection (COP). She acts as deputy, trustee and attorney and is also a director of JMW Trust Corporation Limited. Megan manages one of the largest and fastest-growing COP teams in the country.
- Handles the team’s most complex cases (10% pro bono) involving multi-million-pound estates, international assets, contested legal proceedings and fraud allegations.
- Supports clients with the most profound disabilities, reduced life expectancy and challenging behaviours. She builds trust with clients, their families and their support network.
- Provides free training/seminars to care providers, local authorities and charities, promoting awareness and collaboration to support vulnerable children/adults.
- 2020 – present – JMW – Partner and Head of Court of Protection
- 2018 – 2020 – Linder Myers – Principal lawyer and Head of Court of Protection
- 2015 – 2018 – Linder Myers – Associate Solicitor
- 2012 – 2014 – Irwin Mitchell – Solicitor
- 2010 – 2012 – Pannone Solicitors – Trainee Solicitor
Megan actively lobbies for best practice and legal change and is an active, voluntary member of professional bodies including:
- Court of Protection Practitioners’ Association (CoPPA)
- Court User Group (CUG)
- Founding member of the Professional Deputies Forum (PDF)
- Public Authority Deputies Support Network (PADSN)
- Association of Public Authority Deputies (APAD)
She’s also been a member of numerous committees including:
- Manchester Young Solicitor Group (MYSG) – Director of Sponsorship and Events
- Sale Town Partnership – Chair
- 2009-2010 – Manchester College of Law
- 2008-2009 – University of Melbourne
- 2006-2009 – University of Manchester
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
JMW Solicitors LLP advises ultra-high-net-worth individuals on estate planning and succession planning, as well as advising vulnerable clients through Court of Protection work. Matters frequently have a cross-jurisdictional element. Practice head Joe Cobb focuses on inheritance tax mitigation strategies, succession planning, and international estate administration, as well as contentious trusts and estates. Head of the court of protection team Megan Christie-Copeland covers contested deputyship applications and hearings. She works alongside Andrew Cusworth. Paul Gotch departed in November 2021, preceded by Tasnim Khalid who left in June 2021.
JMW Solicitors LLP fields a ‘significant team’ that has a ‘huge portfolio of clients and is growing all the time’ under the joint leadership of Manchester-based Megan Christie-Copeland and London-based Kiran Vasudeva.
- Leading individuals - North West > Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Personal tax, trusts and probate - North West > Private client
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general crime and fraud
- Private client > Family
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Employment > Employment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Real estate > Construction