Mr Iordan Tchompalov > Stoeva, Tchompalov & Znepolski > Sofia, Bulgaria > Lawyer Profile
Stoeva, Tchompalov & Znepolski Offices
111 EVLOGI & HRISTO GEORGIEVI BLVD
- Go to...
Mr Iordan Tchompalov
Before co-founding Stoeva Tchompalov & Znepolski in November 2017, Iordan was a partner at DTT (Dimitrov Tchompalov & Todorova) for 15 years. His securities law practice started in 1996 as a lawyer at the Bulgarian Securities Commission, made a head of the regulations drafting department and finally served as commissioner before joining in late 2000 as a consultant the USAID Capital Markets Regulation Project, aimed to support the development of the Bulgarian securities market.
Iordan has gained extensive experience in public and private offerings and listings, licensing of investment firms and asset managers, conduct of business, market abuse/disclosure of price-sensitive information; securities transactions and settlement issues; capital adequacy, investment funds, bank loans, M&A transactions; Iordan is advising also on GDPR, AMLD, and other regulatory matters, as well as on competition and corporate issues. From 2019 till 2021 Iordan led the STZ team, that assisted Morrison & Foerster in London as a local counsel, advising on Bulgarian law matters Eurohold in its EUR 335 million acquisition of CEZ’s Bulgarian assets and the resulting Eurohold’s mandatory tender offers addressed to the shareholders in the listed CEZ companies.
Iordan’s market firsts, prior to co-founding Stoeva Tchompalov & Znepolski, include, among others:
• the €65 million 4.5% secured exchangeable bonds issued by a wholly-owned Dutch subsidiary of a Bulgarian corporate, being the first exchangeable bonds transaction in Bulgaria;
• the IPO of TechnomarketDomo N.V., the Netherlands, a leading consumer electronics wholesale and retail group in Bulgaria and Romania, being the first dual listing and cross-border settlement project in Bulgaria;
• the first Bulgarian IPO, comprising a global offer to international investors: the Bulgarian American Enterprise Fund’s sale of 30% of the Bulgarian American Credit Bank;
• the first Bulgarian project of sponsored GDR listed at the London Stock Exchange: ordinary shares of the leading fuel distributor in Bulgaria Petrol AD combined with a right issue.
Additional highlights from Iordan’s transactional experience include:
• EUR 400 million senior secured notes issued by Bulgarian Telecommunications Company EAD;
• USD 125 million loan participation notes issued by a Dutch SPV for the purpose to on-lend the proceeds to a Bulgarian bank.
• EUR 22 million convertible loan with PIK interest executed by a Swiss company (as a borrower);
• dual listing of one of the Bulgarian leading pharmaceutical firms Sopharma AD in Warsaw.
• the Pass-Through Notes issued by an Irish entity linked to bonds exchangeable for the shares of a Bulgarian corporate.
• the 9% 90,000,000 mandatory convertible preferred non-voting shares of a Bulgarian holding company;
• the First Investment Bank’s €90 million IPO and listing on the Bulgarian Stock Exchange, the first Bulgarian combined offering of new and existing shares;
• the Petrol AD €100,000,000 8.375 percent 5 years Eurobond.
At STZ Iordan has expanded the scope of his advice with agency and distributorship (including antitrust aspects such as vertical agreements restrictions and dominance).
Bulgarian, English, general understanding of Russian.
Admitted to Sofia Bar and to practice in Bulgaria (2001).
LL.M from University of Sofia, Faculty of Law (1991).
One-year financial management postgraduate course at the University for National and World Economy, Sofia (1994).
Six months finance and investments program at the University of Wisconsin, USA (1999).
Boutique law firm Stoeva, Tchompalov & Znepolski is home to team leaders Irina Stoeva – who is praised for her ‘remarkable scope of knowledge and experience in corporate and commercial law’ – and ‘distinguished practitioner’ Iordan Tchompalov. Whilst the practice is centred around the experience of both founding partners, its team of associates and of counsel are heavily involved in M&A deals and general corporate matters. Key clients also include GlaxoSmithKline and SDI Group.
The team at Stoeva, Tchompalov & Znepolski is noted for its demonstrable experience in capital markets, as well as banking and finance matters. Practice co-leader Iordan Tchompalov and Natalia Yordanova provide ‘tailored’ and ‘market-orientated’ advice on capital market transactions, while team co-leader Irina Stoeva is noted for her ‘deep expertise in insurance’ mandates. Peter Znepolski is also a key contact in the team for insurance disputes.