Liad Whatstein > Liad Whatstein & Co. Law Office > Tel Aviv, Israel > Lawyer Profile
Liad Whatstein & Co. Law Office Offices
30 HAARBA'A ST
TEL AVIV 6473926
- Go to...
Liad is one of Israel’s best-known and most respected IP lawyers and has been involved in some of Israel’s most complex and widely publicized patent, trademark and copyright disputes. Liad is broadly recognized by clients, peers and international directories as one of Israel’s most successful litigators. He has litigated cases for most innovative pharmaceutical companies in connection with many blockbuster drugs, supervised complex experiments and has worked extensively with some of the world’s leading experts. In addition, Liad is extensively involved in patent prosecution work and leverages his unrivalled litigation experience to obtain enforceable patents and develop creative prosecution strategies. Liad also represents many of the world’s leading brand owners in enforcing their trademarks and litigated some of Israel’s landmark copyright cases.
Liad has been consistently described by Chambers, Legal 500, IAM, WHO’S WHO, WTR and other leading directories as a “truly great litigator” and a “celebrated name” who knows how to deliver results to clients. Liad is also a prolific writer and was the Chairman of the IP Chapter of the Israel Bar Association.
Liad is a graduate of the Tel Aviv University (LL.B., Cum Laude, 1990) and the London School of Economics and Political Science (LL.M., with Merit, 1992) and a graduate of the Computer Science Academy of the Israel Defense Forces. Prior to practicing law, Liad was a system programmer on IBM mainframe computers at the Israeli Airforce.
Representative list of accolades:
- “A leader in his field” (Who’s Who Legal, Life Sciences, 2021);
- “Incredible attorney… simply superior to others, but also personally interesting, very easy and enjoyable to work with, and highly esteemed by outside attorneys in other countries” (Legal 500, 2021);
- “Consistently receives rave reviews as a very talented strategist and out-of-the-box thinker… His advice is especially impactful in cases which are not black and white. He runs a really tight ship and gets really good results” (WTR 1000, 2021);
- “Very smart and tough litigator; Technically excellent and thoroughly business minded, too; Overall, one of the best patent practitioners worldwide” (IAM Patent 1000, 2020);
- “Liad Whatstein is an excellent litigator. A fighter who is very experienced and involved, with a strong ability to run strategic cases and is very into details” (Chambers & Partners, 2020);
- “Brilliant IP litigator; Attentive, well-prepared, extremely fast and competent, swiftly understands clients’ top priorities” (WTR 1000, 2020);
- “Agressive and talented litigator; creative and innovative, personable and very smart and technically very good in equal measure” (IAM Patent 1000, 2019);
- “Liad Whatstein is an amazing litigator and a fierce competitor… who is incredibly easy to work with and always has our best interests at heart” (Chambers & Partners, 2019);
- “Liad Whatstein is a totally superb lawyer – very intelligent. You have to admire him” (WTR 1000, 2019);
- “Liad Whatstein & Co is the prime address in the region for major innovative pharmaceutical companies needing support on contentious matters… Liad Whatstein is a truly outstanding litigator – dedicated, intelligent, strategic, experienced, hardworking and responsive. He has great technical understanding – and his ability to communicate complex scientific concepts in simple language is remarkable… There is simply no better lawyer in the country” (IAM 1000, 2018);
- “Liad Whatstein is one of the best patent litigators in Israel and is applauded for his significant experience in representing originators” (Who’s Who Legal, Life Sciences, 2018);
- “Liad Whatstein is a renowned name in the life science sphere who receives plaudits for his brilliant practical advice on both transactional and contentious issues” (Who’s Who Legal, Life Sciences, 2018);
- “Liad Whatstein is recognised by the market as a brilliant litigator” (Chambers & Partners, 2018);
- “Liad Whatstein is a courtroom celebrity” (WTR 1000, 2018);
- “Liad Whatstein is outstanding, diligent and very responsive” (Chambers & Partners, 2017);
- “Name partner Liad Whatstein has orchestrated scores of ground-breaking victories and is an authority on the life sciences” (IAM 1000, 2017);
- “Liad Whatstein is unquestionably one of the most respected litigators in the country” (WTR 1000, 2017);
- “Liad Whatstein is a standout patent litigator” (Legal 500, 2016);
- “Liad Whatstein is an excellent litigator in patent litigation” (Chambers & Partners, 2016);
- “Liad Whatstein provides strong leadership to the litigation team. His arguments go straight to the point and he has excellent courtroom skills. He is an aggressive and very tough litigator, but he has common sense and knows how to settle cases” (WTR 1000, 2015);
- “Liad Whatstein remains a ruthless, very sharp, very dominant litigator, yet cooperative in transactions despite being a contentious lawyer at heart” (IAM 1000, 2015);
- “Liad Whatstein stands out on the contentious side” (Legal 500, 2015);
- “He is an esteemed patent litigator, praised for his proactivity and good preparation. He covers patent, trade mark and copyright issues, with a focus on the pharmaceutical and IT sectors” (Chambers & Partners, 2015);
- “Liad Whatstein is a widely respected patent litigator” (Legal 500, 2014);
- “Liad Whatstein is a celebrated name on the market: He is extremely knowledgeable about his clients’ technology and first-class on all the legal and procedural issues associated with oppositions in Israel” (IAM 1000, 2014);
- “Liad Whatstein is lauded by clients as a technically skilled patent litigation expert who is very engaged in his cases. Sources praise his experience and great insights into the strategies applied by local generic competitors” (Chambers & Partners, 2014);
- “Liad Whatstein is dedicated to obtaining the best possible results for rights holders. He is practical, proactive and diligent, and truly understands what companies are looking for in their external counsel. He is a wonderful partner and a pleasure to work with” (WTR 1000, 2014);
- “Patrons entrust their most complex mandates to the safe hands of supremely effective litigator Liad Whatstein. Proactive, incredibly knowledgeable about the system and a pragmatic adviser, he enjoys great success in both contentious and transactional matters” (IAM 1000, 2012);
- “The excellent Liad Whatstein has a prodigious reputation as a litigator” (IAM 250, 2011);
- “Liad Whatstein is a truly great litigator” (WTR 1000, 2011);
- “A superb litigator – one of the best in Israel” (Chambers & Partners, 2009);
- Israel Chapter in “The Legal 500 & The In-House Lawyer Comparative Legal Guide – Patent Litigation” (The Legal 500, 2019, http://www.inhouselawyer.co.uk/practice-areas/patent-litigation/israel-patent-litigation);
- “Explaining Israel’s Inconsistent Attitude to Pharmaceutical Brands” Vol. 74, Issue 4 of INTA Bulletin, March 1, 2019;
- Israel Chapter in “Life Sciences Global Guide: Medicinal product regulation and product liability” (Thomson Reuters Practical Law, 2018, https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com/w-016-6339);
- Israel Chapter in “The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Copyright 2019” (Global Legal Group, 2018, https://iclg.com/practice-areas/copyright-laws-and-regulations/israel);
- Israel Chapter in “Life Sciences Global Guide: Pharmaceutical IP and competition law” (Thomson Reuters Practical Law, 2018, https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com/w-014-5548);
- Israel Chapter in “The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Pharmaceutical Advertising 2018” (Global Legal Group, 2018, https://iclg.com/practice-areas/pharmaceutical-advertising-laws-and-regulations/israel);
- Israel Chapter in “IP in Life Sciences” (Globe Business Publishing, 2015);
- Israel Chapter in “Global Patent Litigation” (Kluwer Law International, 2015);
- Israel Chapter in “Patent Transactions in the Life Sciences” (Globe Business Publishing, 2014);
- Israel Chapter in “E-Discovery and Data Privacy: A Practical Guide” (Wolters Kluwer, 2010);
- Israel Chapter in “Copyright: Global Law and Practice” (Sweet and Maxwell, 2003);
- Chapter on Publishing License Agreements in “International Licensing” (BNA, 2000);
- Israel Chapter in “Worldwide Trade Secrets Law” (Clark Boardman, 1994);
- “Patent Term Extension Under Israeli Law,” Who’s Who Legal (May 2011);
- “Customs Border Measures Around the Mediterranean, Part II,” Vol. 66, Issue 2 of INTA Bulletin, January 15, 2011;
- “Customs Border Measures Around the Mediterranean, Part I,” Vol. 66, Issue 1 of INTA Bulletin, January 1, 2011;
- “Israeli Trademark Practice: Practical Approach with International Flavor,” Vol. 65, Issue 16 of INTA Bulletin, September 15, 2010;
- “Will the Legislator Follow the Courts in IP Matters?” 23 Journal of the Israel Bar Association 58, 2001;
- “State Assistance for Patent Violation” 26 Journal of the Israel Bar Association 48, 2001;
- “Extraterritorial Application of EC Competition Law – Comments and Reflections”, 26 Israel Law Review 195, 1992.
Tel Aviv University (LL.B., Cum Laude, 1990)
London School of Economics and Political Science (LL.M., with Merit, 1992)
Computer Science Academy of the Israel Defense Forces
Liad likes spending time with his children whenever he can and is passionate about late romantic classical music and opera. In addition, Liad provides pro bono legal services to Israeli artists, authors and poets.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Liad Whatstein & Co. Law Office, which has a strong track record in cross-border IP litigation, is ‘simply superior to others’. It represents multinational clients from a variety of sectors in many of the most high-profile disputes relating to brand protection and counterfeit goods. Patent disputes are where the team really shines; both name partner Liad Whatstein, who established the practice in 2014 (having previously led the disputes practice at Dr Shlomo Cohen & Co Law Office), and Amira Mangelus represent some of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies in disputes in the life sciences sector.
At IP boutique Liad Whatstein & Co. Law Office, the filing practice complements the firm’s first-class litigation work. The team assists clients from the life sciences, defence and telecoms sectors with the drafting and prosecution of patent applications, and also works with global fashion brands, beverage companies and cosmetics companies on the management of their trade mark portfolios. Name partner Liad Whatstein, who is widely regarded as a top litigator, also advises on patent term extensions. At associate level, Ofir Livnat is recommended for complex trade mark prosecution.
Liad Whatstein & Co. Law Office specialises in IP law, which makes it a natural first choice for many healthcare and life sciences clients operating in Israel. The team is often involved in IP disputes and frequently guides clients through the regulatory regime applicable to their activities, including drug registration and pharmaceutical advertising. Recently, the firm acted for the state of Israel in major IP disputes involving life sciences and healthcare companies. ‘Great trial lawyer’ Liad Whatstein is highly regarded by clients involved in complex litigation involving life sciences issues and broader regulatory matters. Amira Mangelus is a key name for patent litigation.
- Intellectual property: disputes - Israel > Intellectual property
- Leading individuals - Israel > Intellectual property > Intellectual property: disputes
- Healthcare and life sciences - Israel
- Intellectual property: filing/prosecution - Israel > Intellectual property