James Pavey > Irwin Mitchell > Crawley, England > Lawyer Profile
Irwin Mitchell Offices
CRAWLEY, WEST SUSSEX
- Go to...
James is a partner specialising in resolving and avoiding public and private property disputes. He acts for landed estates, trustees and institutional landowners, and private homeowners.
Trained Knights Solicitors; qualified 2001, assistant solicitor 2001-04, partner 2004-11; partner Thomas Eggar LLP 2011.
French and Italian (conversational).
Maidstone Grammar School; St Catharine’s College, Cambridge (MA (Hons)); College of Law (Post Graduate Diploma in Law and Legal Practice Course).
Shooting, fly fishing, beagling, Travellers’ Club, Sovereign Military Order of Malta.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The rural business and estates team at Irwin Mitchell provides a full national coverage to its commercial and private clients, drawing on its network of offices across the UK. Within the South East, where it has bases in Southampton, Chichester, Reading, Newbury and Gatwick, it covers areas such as tax planning for trusts and high-net-worth individuals, strategic property advice, asset structuring, and proprietary estoppel cases for farming families. National rural business and estates head James Pavey – ‘an excellent client-focused solicitor‘ – splits his time between the firm’s London and Gatwick offices, handling all areas of property and estates law. Andrew Parry advises primarily on post-death tax and succession planning and trusts for owners of landed estates.
Irwin Mitchell works closely with its national network of offices on various planning, environmental, highways and compulsory purchase matters. A diverse roster of leading regional clients – including housebuilders, local authorities, and higher education institutes – regularly turn to the team for assistance on regenerations, strategic site developments, and complex judicial reviews. Contentious planning matters and major retirement complex constructions are further key work streams. Nicola Gooch is the firm’s southern lead for environment and planning matters, handling mixed-use regeneration schemes for a wide variety of private sector entities. James Pavey chiefly focuses on disputes for clients involved in rural planning, and boasts a strong track record at the Supreme Court and High Court. Sejal Patel concentrates on strategic land and housing site developments, focusing particularly on retirement and care home living. All named lawyers are based in Gatwick.
Irwin Mitchell‘s team is led by landholdings expert James Pavey and contentious estates specialist James Laycock. Handling high-value tax planning for individuals and trusts, the offering also covers tax disputes and property advice for landowners in relation to development, transactions and agricultural tenancies. In addition, the firm assists clients with asset structuring and succession planning in relation to wills, trusts, intestacies, and partnerships. A recent highlight indicative of its strengths is its representation of the Green Lanes Environmental Action Movement in judicial review proceedings against Lake District National Park Authority, a case which pertains to a failure to stop public vehicular use of historic highways.
- Agriculture and estates - South East > Private client
- Environment and planning - South East > Real estate
- Leading individuals - South East > Private client > Agriculture and estates
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Real estate > Environment and planning
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Real estate > Commercial property: Kent, Surrey, Sussex
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Family: Hampshire
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Hampshire
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Kent, Surrey and Sussex
- Real estate > Commercial property: Hampshire
- Employment > Employment: Kent, Surrey, Sussex