Paul Haycock > Irwin Mitchell > Sheffield, England > Lawyer Profile
Irwin Mitchell Offices
- Go to...
Business legal and services – regulatory and criminal investigations group.
Paul is head of the Northern regulatory and criminal investigations group. Over nearly 30 years, Paul has acquired a wealth of experience conducting high-profile, sensitive and serious cases. His skill set has been developed over many years dealing with the full range of criminal law matters and the broadest spectrum of clients. Many of his cases have been high profile and reported. Over the last decade, Paul has focused on corporate crime, cartel offences, corruption, regulation and compliance and on related civil matters. Paul has acted for individuals, public figures, companies and other organisations. He is increasingly being sought out to assist in either conducting internal inquiries or to protect the interests of corporate clients who are subject to such inquiries from regulatory or prosecuting authorities. He has a proven track record in avoiding or defending prosecutions by all the leading authorities (including SFO, OFT, FCA, CPS, HMRC and HSE). Commercially aware, Paul increasingly receives instructions in matters where there is a criminal and civil law overlap. Recent highlights include: conducted internal corporate investigation into civil fraud, health and safety and an assessment of a multi-million pound commercial dispute; successfully resisted the first of a series of extradition requests from Dubai; defended in a Trading Standards cross-border advanced fee fraud; defended in an SFO prosecution for fraudulent trading and asset stripping; defended a number of SFO prosecutions for advanced fee and boiler room frauds; instructed in an FCA prosecution for collective investment schemes; instructed in an OFT cartel investigation; defending investigations and prosecutions for bribery and corruption matters; instructed in an HMRC investigation into high-yield investors in the film industry tax scheme; and represented solicitors and accountants on issues relating to disclosure and privilege.
Bronson & Bramley (Sheffield); Taylor, Swift, Richards & Watson (Sheffield); Irwin Mitchell (Sheffield) 2008.
Ecclesfield Grammar School, Sheffield.
Walking, reading, skiing and watching sport.
Irwin Mitchell is known for its white collar criminal litigators; the team advises companies and boards on criminal liability, compliance and multi-jurisdictional investigations. Key areas of work include internal investigations, bribery and corruption, compliance and managing criminal litigation risk. The practice has a good deal of experience in the education, financial services, manufacturing, real estate and TMT sectors. Paul Haycock heads the team, and focuses on defending criminal and regulatory investigations and prosecutions.
Irwin Mitchell’s white-collar crime practice advises companies and boards on criminal liability, compliance and multi-jurisdictional investigations by authorities such as the SFO, FCA and HMRC. The team has extensive experience in handling internal investigations concerning internal theft, fraud and bribery and corruption. Areas of expertise also include sanctions, insider dealing, tax evasion and breaches of financial services regulations. Paul Haycock leads the team and focuses on defending complex criminal and regulatory investigations and prosecutions.
The highly experienced Paul Haycock heads up the Irwin Mitchell team in Sheffield, representing both individuals and corporates in regulatory investigations involving the SFO, FCA, and HMRC, as well as advising on regulatory compliance. The practice draws on the wider firm’s full service capabilities, acting for a broad range of clients across sectors including consumer goods, education, financial services, real estate and TMT. Haycock handles major national investigations, including a recent high-profile trial at Southwark Crown Court which was the first of its kind to have human defendants following a deferred prosecution agreement.
Led by Paul Haycock and assisted by senior associate Jason Newall, the team at Irwin Mitchell advise on a wide range of criminal cases, including manslaughter, assault and affray, drug possession and supply, dangerous driving and sexual misconduct, representing private clients across the UK, alongside legal aid cases in the Yorkshire area. The practice also acts for personal and corporate clients in areas where they could face criminal liability, including environmental regulation violations and health and safety cases.
- Leading individuals - Yorkshire and the Humber > Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Crime: fraud - Yorkshire and the Humber > Crime, fraud and licensing
- Crime: general - Yorkshire and the Humber > Crime, fraud and licensing
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment: Sheffield and South Yorkshire
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Insurance > Professional negligence: claimant
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Employment > Employment: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Private client > Family: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Insurance > Clinical negligence and personal injury: claimant