Dorrien Peters > Irwin Mitchell > Sheffield, England > Lawyer Profile
Irwin Mitchell Offices
- Go to...
Business legal services - commercial litigation
Dorrien specialises in commercial litigation and dispute resolution (including domestic arbitration and international dispute resolution). He qualified as a solicitor in 2002, having spent seven years working in the aerospace engineering sector. Dorrien has extensive experience of commercial dispute resolution, including High Court litigation, adjudication, mediation, expert determination and domestic arbitration. He has advised clients or been involved in cases in many foreign jurisdictions including the USA, Hong Kong, the Middle East and much of Europe. Important cases: acting for a manufacturing client in respect of a claim against a structural engineer who designed foundations for a large piece of manufacturing equipment which was fundamentally important to the company’s growth plans. The foundations failed and the remedial works were particularly complex and took over a year to implement, causing significant consequential losses. This claim has required extensive engineering and forensic accountancy expert support; leading a team of lawyers on a significant dispute concerning a £400m property portfolio which is owned by a Guernsey-based investment fund. The dispute has various aspects including disputes regarding the strategy of the investment fund and service charges payable by the investment fund.
Trained DLA Piper UK LLP; qualified 2002; DLA Piper UK LLP (Sheffield office) 2000-2014: trainee solicitor 2000-2002; solicitor, litigation and dispute resolution 2002-2006; associate, litigation and dispute resolution 2006-2013; legal director, litigation and dispute resolution 2013-2014; partner, commercial litigation 2014-present, Irwin Mitchell LLP.
Hitchin Boys’ School; Sheffield University: 1992 (HNC in Electronic Engineering); 1994 (HNC in Business and Finance); 1998 (LLB (Hons)); 1999 Legal Practice Course.
Mountain walking and cycling.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Irwin Mitchell’s commercial litigation department has developed a reputation in the student accommodation sector; practice co-head Dorrien Peters represents property owners In disputes arising from development and refurbishment projects. The team also has a national footprint in the manufacturing sector, handling disputes along the entire supply chain; the group also acts in shareholder disputes and breach of covenant matters. Co-head Steve Beahan is the go-to name for insurance litigation and barrister Yvonne Simpson is engaged by food and drink companies in claims involving food safety standards.
- Leading individuals - Yorkshire and the Humber > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Commercial litigation: Sheffield, South Yorkshire - Yorkshire and the Humber > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment: Sheffield and South Yorkshire
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Insurance > Professional negligence: claimant
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Employment > Employment: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Private client > Family: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Insurance > Clinical negligence and personal injury: claimant