Dorrien Peters > Irwin Mitchell > Sheffield, England > Lawyer Profile
Irwin Mitchell Offices
- Go to...
Business legal services - commercial litigation
Dorrien specialises in commercial litigation and dispute resolution (including domestic arbitration and international dispute resolution). He qualified as a solicitor in 2002, having spent seven years working in the aerospace engineering sector. Dorrien has extensive experience of commercial dispute resolution, including High Court litigation, adjudication, mediation, expert determination and domestic arbitration. He has advised clients or been involved in cases in many foreign jurisdictions including the USA, Hong Kong, the Middle East and much of Europe. Important cases: acting for a manufacturing client in respect of a claim against a structural engineer who designed foundations for a large piece of manufacturing equipment which was fundamentally important to the company’s growth plans. The foundations failed and the remedial works were particularly complex and took over a year to implement, causing significant consequential losses. This claim has required extensive engineering and forensic accountancy expert support; leading a team of lawyers on a significant dispute concerning a £400m property portfolio which is owned by a Guernsey-based investment fund. The dispute has various aspects including disputes regarding the strategy of the investment fund and service charges payable by the investment fund.
Trained DLA Piper UK LLP; qualified 2002; DLA Piper UK LLP (Sheffield office) 2000-2014: trainee solicitor 2000-2002; solicitor, litigation and dispute resolution 2002-2006; associate, litigation and dispute resolution 2006-2013; legal director, litigation and dispute resolution 2013-2014; partner, commercial litigation 2014-present, Irwin Mitchell LLP.
Hitchin Boys’ School; Sheffield University: 1992 (HNC in Electronic Engineering); 1994 (HNC in Business and Finance); 1998 (LLB (Hons)); 1999 Legal Practice Course.
Mountain walking and cycling.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Irwin Mitchell impresses with notable expertise in the insurance, retail, professional services, insurance, IT and manufacturing sectors. The team handles cases spanning corporate governance disputes, restrictive covenant litigation, injunctive relief work, and shareholder and derivative claims, among others. Dorrien Peters, who is ‘calm and unflappable in the face of pressure‘, and Steven Beahan jointly lead the team.
Irwin Mitchell‘s key commercial disputes figures are recently promoted Katie Byrne in Gatwick, who acts in high-value international and financial services (including insurance) disputes; and London-based solicitor Samantha Leung, who is ‘hardworking, diligent and extremely able‘. Providing additional partner-level support are Manchester-based Duncan Hope and Dorrien Peters in Sheffield.
- Leading individuals - Yorkshire and the Humber > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Commercial litigation: Sheffield, South Yorkshire - Yorkshire and the Humber > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Clinical negligence and personal injury: claimant
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Family: elsewhere in Yorkshire
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment: Sheffield and South Yorkshire
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Employment > Employment: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Private client > Family: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms