Roy Beckett > Irwin Mitchell > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
Irwin Mitchell Offices
One St Peter’s Square
- Go to...
Regional managing partner of Irwin Mitchell’s North West business legal services division. Roy specialises in real estate development and investment transactional work, including corporate real estate occupier work.
He has been a real estate partner for over 24 years and acts for a variety of clients such as Bruntwood Estates, Bank Of New York Mellon, Christie NHS Trust, the Exchange Quay Master Trust, General Medical Council, Goals Soccer Centres PLC, Lanebridge Investment Management and Manchester City Council on a variety of investment, development, acquisition, disposal and letting transactions.
Additionally Roy acts for a number of overseas investors in relation to their UK property holdings (for example the purchase and later sale of 180,000 square feet, One Piccadilly Gardens, Manchester). Recent highlights of Roy’s work include the sale of Exchange Quay Salford, the ‘Canary Wharf of the North’ to a fund managed by Hunter Property Fund Management and acting for Manchester City Council in relation to the £20m plus development of ‘HOME’ located in Manchester’s First Street area which will provide a hub for North West arts facilities.
Roy’s leading market position has been recognised for many years by the legal directories. He is also recommended as Lawyer for Corporate Real Estate in Practical Law Company ‘Which Lawyer?’ year book. Additionally, in the only year when the award has been made, he was voted North West Property Lawyer of the Year.
Trained Graham & Rosen, Hull; qualified 1983; partner Alsop Wilkinson (which merged to become DLA Piper) 1989; head of the Manchester office real estate team 1992-99; office managing partner, Manchester office DLA Piper 1998-2006; regional managing partner, North West business legal services division Irwin Mitchell 2013.
Current directorships: current chair of the Northern Region board of the Investment Property Forum; board member for Manchester Craft and Design Centre.
Malet Lambert High School; University of Manchester (1980 LLB Hons); College of Law (1981 Solicitors Finals passed).
Roy is a keen sports enthusiast, and an active member of Bowdon Lawn Tennis Club and Ski Club of Great Britain.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Irwin Mitchell has a ‘experienced and dedicated’ team which is ‘unafraid to give the right advice.’ It is led by Roy Beckett, who has an ‘exceptional knowledge of the Manchester property market’ and acts on investment transaction matters as well as corporate real estate occupier work. He has a record of work for local authorities and developer clients.
- Hall of Fame - North West > Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Leading individuals - North West > Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Commercial property: Manchester - North West > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant