Ms Elle Young > Ince > London, England > Lawyer Profile
2 Leman Street
- Go to...
Ms Elle Young
Commercial Disputes, Insurance, Maritime
Elle co-leads the firm’s marine insurance practice (with Carrie Radford) specialising in advising Lloyd’s syndicates and company market marine (re)insurers in London and internationally on both contentious and non-contentious matters.
Elle provides coverage advice to (re)insurers, handles disputed matters from outset to conclusion whether negotiated by settlement, mediation, Court or arbitration proceedings, and works on non-contentious matters including policy drafting and advising on the structure of global programmes. Elle’s experience covers a wide range of marine classes of (re)insurance business, including hull & machinery, war, kidnap & ransom, builders risks, P&I, cargo, increased value, aquaculture and yachts.
Recent examples of Elle’s work include:
> acting on behalf of H&M and IV insurers in relation to the investigation of the total loss of a vessel in suspicious circumstances;
> advising fixed premium P&I insurers in respect of general average and sue and labour claims following The Longchamp decision;
> advising various war insurers in relation to detainment of vessels in Venezuela, Egypt, Crimea and Yemen;
> advising reinsurers on potential exposure under various insurance programs following the Tianjin explosion;
> advising liability insurers on potential exposure following the collapse of Hanjin and assisting insurers in handling incoming claims;
> advising reinsurers on rights under claims co-operation clause and thereafter directing the handling of underlying claim by insurers;
> advising on the applicable measure of indemnity under a cargo policy following damage to a yacht during shipment;
> acting on behalf of the insurers in the case of Versloot Dredging B.V. v HDI Gerling and Others through to the Supreme Court hearing;
> advising ship repairers and their liability insurers in relation to investigation of claim by shipowner concerning damage to vessel;
> handling dispute on behalf of insurers in relation to liability following payment of claim against alleged fraudulent payment authorities;
> advising insurers in respect of payment of claim following grounding of vessel in Sudan in light of sanctions;
> drafting warranties for inclusion in hull policy following the enactment of the Insurance Act 2015;
> negotiating and drafting settlement agreement between insured, insurer, reinsurers, financial interests and brokers following partial loss.
Elle also regularly acts as coverage counsel in respect of matters proceeding before foreign courts and has recent experience working with (re)insurance clients before Courts in Korea, India, Italy, Czech Republic and Saudi Arabia.
Elle also combines her marine insurance knowledge with her experience in both wet and dry shipping matters and commercial disputes and has experience working on a range of cases involving a cross-over between these areas, including casualty investigations, salvage and subrogated recovery actions. Outside of (re)insurance, Elle has acted on a range of general commercial disputes including jurisdiction, breach of fiduciary duty, loss of chance, professional indemnity, employment, insolvency and debt recovery.
Qualified in 2010.
The University of Sheffield & BPP Law School
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Ince, which merged with Gordon Dadds in December 2018, has well-established credentials in cross-border energy, property, political risk and professional indemnity insurance work. The traditionally strong marine team has seen significant changes this year with the departure of Joe O’Keefe to Stephenson Harwood in late 2018, the return of Simon Todd – who had retired – as a consultant in March 2019, and the recent promotion of Carrie Radford and Elle Young to lead the practice. Other key members of the team include global insurance group head Kiran Soar and property and construction insurance specialist Adrian Bingham.
- Next Generation Partners - London > Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Insurance and reinsurance litigation - London > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Transport > Aviation
- Dispute resolution > Commodities disputes
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Gaming and betting
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Transport > Shipping
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Human resources > Employment: senior executives
- Private client > Family
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Risk advisory > Reputation management
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Brand management
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Finance > Transport finance & leasing
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Human resources > Employment: employers
- Transport > Travel