Paul Katsouris > Ince > Dubai, United Arab Emirates > Lawyer Profile
THE MAZE TOWER
10TH FLOOR, SHEIKH ZAYED ROAD
PO BOX 123004, DUBAI
United Arab Emirates
- Go to...
Maritime, Commodities & Trade, Dispute Resolution, Commercial, Insurance, TMT
Paul acts for clients on a wide range of contentious and non-contentious matters. He represents shipowners, P&I Clubs, underwriters, charterers, bunker suppliers, banks, entrepreneurs, investment funds, and private investors. Prior to joining Ince, Paul was the head of legal for a large international shipping group. Given his commercial background and international experience, he has a reputation for managing complex transactions in an entrepreneurial, methodical, and effective manner. On the contentious side, he is known for his pragmatic and innovative approach to handling and settling legal disputes.
Throughout his career Paul has been involved in complex matters before the courts in various jurisdictions, including England, Greece, the USA, and the UAE. He has also been involved in multiple international arbitrations under the LMAA, ICC, GAFTA and DIAC Rules.
Paul specializes in structuring and advising on vessel sale and purchase transactions, as well as the drafting of bareboat charterparty agreements, joint ventures over the ownership of vessels, vessel sale and leaseback structures, and other types of agreements governing the control of vessels.
Having spent several years in the UAE, he has developed a comprehensive knowledge of the UAE laws and systems, providing him with a thorough understanding and insight into both the civil law system of the local UAE courts, as well as the common law jurisdictions of the DIFC and ADGM.
– Structuring and advising on the en bloc purchase and then resale and lease back of four newbuild VLCC’s with a value of approximately USD400million.
– Advising a ship owner on the bareboat of 4 tankers with purchase obligations.
– Advising a bunker supplier on the recovery of over USD5million in outstanding receivables, including the arrest of 4 vessels in different jurisdictions.
– Advising a ship owner and negotiating on his behalf for the settlement of over 15 ongoing cases within a 12 month window. Over USD10million was recovered despite some of the cases dating back over 12 years.
– Advising a leading Greek shipowner on the position with regard to limitation of liability following a collision in UAE waters.
– Advising a Saudi group on the sale of aging tonnage and replacement with newer vessels .
– Acting for the cargo interest in a cargo contamination dispute with owners, which lead to the successful arrest of the vessel in favor of the cargo interests, and a full recovery of the claim amount.
– Advising and assisting with the drafting of the rules and regulations of various ports and terminals in the gulf region.
– Advising a major regional port operator on the financing structure and purchase of a purpose built dredger and tug.
– Representing the shareholders of a vessel in a dispute with other shareholders over the vessel ownership.
– Negotiating the entry of a private investor into a multi-million dollar venture capital fund.
– Advising a client on the takeover of a well-known international vessel registry.
Athens Bar Association
Dubai Ruler’s Court
University of London MENA Advisory Board
The City Law School, City University London, England