Mr Volodymyr Vashchenko > VB PARTNERS > Kiev, Ukraine > Lawyer Profile
VB PARTNERS Offices
PORCH 13, BUSINESS CENTER 'BASHNYA NO.5'
RYBALSKA ST, 22
- Go to...
Mr Volodymyr Vashchenko
Partner, Head of Dispute Resolution at VB PARTNERS law firm
Experienced in domestic and international disputes as well as investigations by regulatory and law enforcement authorities with a special focus on reprivatization, sanction and investment disputes.
Has a broad disputes practice with substantial experience in resolving complex commercial, corporate and shareholder/ownership cases, typically involving international element.
Most recent work includes working on the ICSID arbitration case, judicial protection of shareholders’ corporate rights, challenging sanctions imposed on European companies, protection of large businesses’ interests in criminal proceedings.
His practice encompasses a number of industry sectors such as energy, non-ferrous metallurgy, construction, banking and gas distribution.
Expertise and experience:
- Acting as one of the counsels in ICSID proceedings;
- Challenging sanctions imposed on the Dutch and Cypriot companies (asset freeze and suspension of financial transactions) in the Supreme Court;
- Ensuring the referral of the significant sanction case to the Grand Chamber of the Supreme Court;
- Representation of foreign investor in a dispute brought against the National Securities Commission to repeal a regulatory act that violates the investor’s corporate rights;
- Representation of national and foreign companies in the Special Parliamentary Commission on Privatization Issues;
- Protection of the European investor in a number of reprivatization disputes initiated by the General Prosecutor’s Office on withdrawal of shares;
- Representation of the private company in a dispute jointly brought by the State Property Fund and the Prosecutor’s Office on the withdrawal of seaport infrastructure facilities from leasing;
- Challenging the decisions of annual and extraordinary meetings of shareholders held by the State Property Fund in the Supreme Court, due to the non-admission of shareholders;
- Representation of licensee’s interests in a dispute on the cancellation of the order of the State Geology Service on suspension of the license for minerals mining;
- Representation of taxpayers in disputes with the State Fiscal Service and the State Treasury Service over the collection of VAT arrears and penalties;
- Representation of the metallurgical plant in a range of commercial, civil and administrative disputes initiated by the Ministry of Infrastructure over land plots and real estate as well as criminal proceedings initiated by law enforcement agencies;
- Representation of a private company in the lawsuit for the return of railway cars and the recovery of penalties for non-compliance with the terms of return;
- Representation in a dispute related to bringing the management and owners of insolvency banks to the subsidiary liability, brought by the Deposit Guarantee Fund;
- Protection of interests of the bank’s shareholders in a number of disputes to revoke decisions of the National Bank of Ukraine on banks liquidation etc.
Additional Professional Activities:
- Author of numerous publications on dispute resolution and sanction related issues;
- Certified expert on qualification development events for Ukrainian attorneys-at-law.
Ukrainian, Russian, English.
Tax Advisors Association, Ukrainian Bar Association, International Bar Association
National Yaroslav the Wise Law Academy of Ukraine, Kharkiv (2001); The Prosecutors’ Training Institute, Speciality “Jurisprudence” (2001); Inter-regional Personnel Management Academy, Speciality “Finance” (2004).
VB PARTNERS has a prominent litigation practice in which tax disputes are a major component. The practice led by Volodymyr Vashchenko has a diverse range of litigation expertise that covers all stages from strategy formation through to resolution. The team regularly handles disputes with the state authorities and the defence of criminal proceedings for tax evasion. Among its clients are development company Svitland Development and Nykolaevsky Alumina Plant.
VB PARTNERS handles economic, administrative and civil disputes in Ukraine and in foreign jurisdictions. The firm frequently defends the interests of clients with shares in joint-stock companies and acts in complex cases relating to corporate governance, rights to land and real estate. Its client base is made up of shareholders and top managers of large Ukrainian businesses, multinational corporations, banks, foreign investors, key government officials and private clients. Head of dispute resolution Volodymyr Vashchenko and key partner Denys Bugay are the main practitioners.