Duncan Crine > Freeths LLP > Oxford, England > Lawyer Profile
Freeths LLP Offices
5000 OXFORD BUSINESS PARK SOUTH
- Go to...
Duncan heads up Freeths’ sizeable Dispute Resolution Department in Oxford. With over 25 years’ litigation experience in the areas of commercial litigation, property litigation and professional negligence, he handles complex and high-value disputes and is familiar with High Court and County Court litigation.
Duncan is also an Accredited Civil and Commercial Mediator. He has long been a strong proponent of all forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) and he is highly regarded for his mediation expertise, having represented clients at mediations for well over 20 years.
Duncan’s personal caseload includes commercial litigation (contract disputes, shareholder/SPA disputes, unfair prejudice/s994 petitions, warranty/covenant claims etc) and professional negligence matters (claims for/against legal, construction and finance professionals and their insurers, and the provision of related insurance policy advice). His cases have involved company/corporate deals and transactions, property schemes and construction projects, failed investment/tax schemes, loss of chance claims and disputed estates and trusts. Aside from mainstream issues of breach of contract and negligence, Duncan has handled claims involving alleged breach of trust, fiduciary duty, fraud, warranty of authority, identity theft, misfeasance, conversion, IT/IP issues, database infringement and estoppel. Duncan’s reported cases include: Halifax v Gould & Swayne [CA 1998] (multiparty managed litigation – shared ownership), Barclays v Savills &others [QB 2012] (lender litigation – featured in Lawyer magazine’s “Top 20 Cases of 2012”), Page v Hewetts & another [ChD 2013] (limitation), Xenakis v Birkett Long [QB 2014] (recoverable loss), McCallum-Toppin & another v McCallum-Toppin & Others [ChD 2019] (shareholder dispute).
Clients describe Duncan as: “very bright and tactically first-class”, “gives consistently clear advice”, “pragmatic, down-to-earth” and “one of the most tenacious litigators around – a formidable opponent”, “very strong in mediation and negotiation, and gives consistently clear advice”.
Qualified 1991. Wansbroughs Willey Hargrave/ Beachcroft Wansbroughs/ Beachcroft LLP (London) 1992-2006 (partner from 2000). Henmans/Henmans Freeth/Freeths LLP 2006-date (partner).
Law Society; Property Litigation Association (PLA), Professional Negligence Lawyers Association (PNLA).
Unviersity of York (BA Hons).
South East > Insurance > Professional negligence(Leading individuals)
Freeths LLP‘s professional negligence practice is led by Duncan Crine and handles a wide range of high-value and complex matters for both claimants and defendants across a wide pool of industry sectors. Recent work highlights include acting for a director of a large drinks company in a shareholder dispute. Other key figures include managing partner Sarah Foster, who has particular expertise in trust and probate-related professional negligence matters, and William Richmond-Coggan, who joined the firm from Pitmans LLP.
South East > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
Duncan Crine leads the dispute resolution practice at Freeths LLP which offers ‘excellent partner-led litigation services at reasonable rates‘. The firm is experienced in representing private and corporate clients as claimants and respondents in complex shareholder, contractual and commercial disputes in the technology, retail, construction, logistics and education sectors. The practice strengthened its disputes offering with the addition of ‘first-rate litigator‘ Will Richmond-Coggan from BDB Pitmans in January 2019.
- Leading individuals - South East > Insurance > Professional negligence
- Professional negligence - South East > Insurance
- Commercial litigation: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40 - South East > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Real estate > Commercial property: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Private client > Family: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Real estate > Commercial property: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Human resources > Employment: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Human resources > Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40