Joanna Trewin > Hill Dickinson LLP > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
Hill Dickinson LLP Offices
50 FOUNTAIN STREET
- Go to...
Joanna has over 18 years’ experience in advising the NHS and heads the Manchester healthcare team. Under Joanna’s leadership, the team has more than doubled in size over the last few years following significant tender and client wins.
Historically, Joanna and her team acted in high profile patient safety reviews and inquests and on the reported Court of Protection cases concerning the withdrawal of life sustaining clinical treatment, including the case of Salford Royal FT -v- Mrs P. and advice regarding withdrawal of treatment from Alfie Evans which received international press attention.
Joanna’s team also provide a niche offender health offering and act for a number of NHS and private healthcare providers in prisons.
Joanna’s team also provides advice in respect of independent homicide investigation reports to NHS England.
Joanna led the successful for tender for provision of all legal services to Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust, the contract for which commenced on 20th June 2016 and has now transferred to the newly constituted Northern Care Alliance NHS Group that oversees Salford Royal NHS FT as well as Pennine. This is one of the largest NHS Groups in the country.
The teams’ key clients include: Northern Care Alliance NHS Group (covering Salford Royal and Pennine Acute), Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust, Bridgewater Community Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, St Helens and Knowsley Hospitals NHS Trust, East Cheshire NHS Trust, and NHS England, as well as the following Clinical Commissioning Groups:- Manchester Central, North and South, Vale Royal, South Cheshire, East Cheshire, Oldham, Trafford and Warrington.
Trained Hill Dickinson 1999; solicitor 2001; associate 2005; partner 2008.
Manchester Law Society
Liverpool Law Society.
Liverpool Bluecoat (1994); Liverpool University (1997 LLB (Hons) 2(1)); LPC, Chester (1999 Commendation).
London > Public sector > Healthcare
Hill Dickinson LLP continued to expand its healthcare capabilities with two lateral hires from Hempsons: Jamie Foster, who has ‘breadth of industry experience‘ advising NHS organisations, private providers, and health and life sciences start-ups on commercial and public law matters, and James Lawford Davies, a ‘top specialist‘ in healthtech and life sciences, specifically in reproductive and genetic technologies and cell and gene therapies. Key areas of expertise include commercial and procurement, commissioning, regulatory, governance, inquests and Court of Protection work. Kiran Bhogal and Emma Galland co-head the London healthcare group. Other recommended partners include Joanna Trewin in Manchester, Robert McGough in Leeds and Sharon Thomas in Liverpool.
North West > Public sector > Health
Hill Dickinson LLP offers a range of services such as inquest representation; mental health and mental capacity advisory work; Court of Protection expertise; support in relation to inquiries and investigations; judicial review; and healthcare governance. It also handles a range of property, commercial, employment and dispute resolution instructions in the sector. Andrew Craggs is head of health, while Manchester healthcare head Joanna Trewin is ably supported by deputy team head Paul Allerston. Emma Stockwell leads the health group’s governance, regulatory and public law team and recently promoted partner Amanda Hurst is a healthcare property specialist.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: defendant
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Liverpool
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Liverpool
- Human resources > Employment
- Public sector > Health
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Liverpool
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Private client > Family
- Human resources > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Human resources > Pensions
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Public sector > Local government
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property