John Caddies > Hill Dickinson LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Hill Dickinson LLP Offices
THE BROADGATE TOWER
20 PRIMROSE STREET
- Go to...
Head of our Marine PI and Regulatory, John worked with the previous head of department, Maria Pittordis, for 28 years and has taken over the role as a result of her sad passing.
Specialising in high-value, complex personal injury and industrial disease claims, John joined the firm in 1988 and has dealt with complex and high-value employers’ liability and public liability personal injury claims for over 25 years, varying from athletes to divers.
A marine and transport claims’ specialist, he regularly visits ports and attends onboard vessels to carry out immediate post-accident investigations, liaising with the HSE, MAIB, MCA and the police, and advising in relation to both the consequent criminal prosecutions as well as the civil claims. John has significant expertise in dealing with fatal claims, psychiatric injuries and multi-party litigation in the “BOWBELLE”/“MARCHIONESS” and “COSTA CONCORDIA” litigation, and leads a team with extensive experience in GI, legionella, norovirus and sexual assault claims.
John also has specific expertise in dealing with industrial disease claims, particularly asbestos, asthma, vibration white finger and stress at work and argued the only successful date of knowledge defence for ship owners in the reported case of G Smith (deceased) -v- P&O Bulk Shipping Limited.
He regularly lectures and provides training to clients both in the UK and Europe on both personal injury and industrial disease claims.
Trained Hill Taylor Dickinson; qualified 1990; associate 1995; partner 1999; joined Hill Dickinson on merger 2006.
Silcoates School, Wakefield; Newcastle University (1987 LLB Hons 2(1)); College of Law, Guildford (1988 solicitors’ finals).
Tennis, golf, family.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Hill Dickinson LLP‘s London-based personal injury, travel and regulatory practice is led by John Caddies, who specialises in personal injury and disease claims. Recent cases handled by the team have included complex claims concerning lost luggage, as well as accidents on board ferries, yachts and cruise ships, while Caddies also has a track record of work on major post-accident investigations.
The personal injury, travel and regulatory team at Hill Dickinson LLP is led by the ‘extremely experienced’ John Caddies. The sectors the team’s workload covers include disease, travel, and workplace and factory cases. In particular, the team has a niche specialism in marine and offshore cases, and deals with complex matters of significant value in that sector; new recruit formerly of Plexus Law, associate Grace Skinner, has a particular specialism in this area.
- Leading individuals - London > Transport > Travel
- Travel - London > Transport
- Personal injury: defendant - London > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: defendant
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Transport > Shipping
- Finance > Trade finance
- Private client > Court of protection
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Transport > Travel
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Mining and minerals
- Insurance > Personal injury: defendant
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Real estate > Property finance
- Public sector > Administrative and public law
- Finance > Transport finance and leasing
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration