Andrew Craggs > Hill Dickinson LLP > Liverpool, England > Lawyer Profile
Hill Dickinson LLP Offices
NO 1 ST PAUL'S SQUARE
- Go to...
Head of health litigation team, health business group.
Head of the national Health Business Group incorporating the national Health Litigation teams, Andrew has overseen the exponential growth of this practice over the last three years, including the opening of offices in London and Leeds. His expertise extends into the wider health sector and he is consulted by NHS and private clients across the country.
Andrew is widely recognised as one of the most dynamic experts in the health litigation sector. He is one of the “go-to” lawyers for the senior management team at NHSR in relation to issues of strategy and law policy reform. He has a long-term relationship with NHS Resolution, having acted for them for his entire career.
Andrew deals with complex clinical negligence claims, but also has a specialist practice in stress/bullying claims involving NHS executives. In that respect he is one of only a few national specialist practitioners in the field.
He is also an NHS Resolution nominated partner and heads up the firm’s relationship with NHS Resolution and NHS England (amongst other high profile clients including MPS and Virgin Care). He is also the firm’s lead for patient safety and risk management issues involving the NHS. Andrew also led the team that secured the MPS contract for Hill Dickinson
Trained Hill Dickinson 1998-2000; qualified 2000; partner 2006; member 2010 to date; editor ‘Healthcare Update Bulletin’; has had a number of articles published in the Health Service Journal.
Liverpool Law Society.
Blue Coat School, Liverpool; Brunel University (1997 LLB Hons 2(1)); College of Law, Chester (1998 LPC with Distinction).
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Hill Dickinson LLP‘s clinical negligence defence team enjoys an excellent reputation, holding places on a number major national healthcare panels such as the Medical Protection Society and NHS Resolution. The group also acts for a significant number of NHS Trusts throughout the country. The ‘dynamic and astute’ Andrew Craggs and Ian Gardiner jointly lead the department, while other key team members include Richard Watson, David Locke, Mike McKenna, Philip Bradbury and Andrew Leslie. Joanne Hughes was promoted to partner in May 2018.(Leading individuals)
Hill Dickinson LLP offers a range of services such as inquest representation; mental health and mental capacity advisory work; Court of Protection expertise; support in relation to inquiries and investigations; judicial review; and healthcare governance. It also handles a range of property, commercial, employment and dispute resolution instructions in the sector. Andrew Craggs is head of health, while Manchester healthcare head Joanna Trewin is ably supported by deputy team head Paul Allerston. Emma Stockwell leads the health group’s governance, regulatory and public law team and recently promoted partner Amanda Hurst is a healthcare property specialist.
Hill Dickinson LLP acts for a range of healthcare providers within the public and private sectors, with NHS Resolution standing out as its most prominent client. National head of Health Litigation Andrew Craggs splits his time between Liverpool and the capital, and is backed up by cerebral palsy and spinal injury specialist Janet McWhinney , who oversees the London department. Multi-million pound cerebral palsy cases as well as indemnity issues arising from a claim are common instructions for the team. The practice’s expertise and increasing consideration of Alternative Dispute Resolution methods has also enabled a more cost-effective settlement of high-value and contentious matters.
- Clinical negligence: defendant - North West > Insurance
- Health - North West > Public sector
- Leading individuals - North West > Public sector > Health
- Leading individuals - North West > Insurance > Clinical negligence: defendant
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: defendant
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Liverpool
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Liverpool
- Human resources > Employment
- Public sector > Health
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Liverpool
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Public sector > Education
- Private client > Family
- Human resources > Health and safety
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Human resources > Pensions
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Public sector > Local government
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property