Mr Sergey Pepeliaev > Pepeliaev Group > Moscow, Russia > Lawyer Profile
Pepeliaev Group Offices
BUILDING 1, 39 3RD TVERSKAYA
- Go to...
Mr Sergey Pepeliaev
Tax Law and Tax Disputes
Managing Partner, PhD in Law
What he specialises in
Sergey Pepeliaev has over 30 years’ hands-on experience of dealing with corporate and personal taxation issues. He has resolved countless challenging situations involving investments and court proceedings.
As a practitioner, he has defended the rights and interests of companies before the Russian Constitutional Court, the Russian Supreme Court, and commercial courts in large-scale and significant court disputes regarding: the legality of additional taxes and fines being assessed; unlawful regulations of the Russian Government, ministries and state authorities being repealed; and unconstitutional provisions of laws being set aside. He has also advised on matters including the taxation of investments, day-to-day business operations, and much more.
His main achievements
- Over the last several years, our firm’s lawyers, under Mr Pepeliaev’s guidance, have helped our clients to save more than USD 5 billion thanks to having successfully settled tax disputes both through court proceedings and out of court.
- Mr Pepeliaev has been invited by the Russian Presidential Administration and other governmental authorities to take part in drafting laws, most notably, the Russian Tax Code, the Law on the Olympic Games, and legislation on transfer pricing, among others;
- The Constitutional Court also invites him to express his expert opinion on a number of cases.
- In 2013 Mr Pepeliaev was elected to the Board of the Federal Chamber of Attorneys. He is also a member of the Board of the Moscow Region Chamber of Attorneys.
- The Federal Chamber of Attorneys has awarded to him the medal ‘For outstanding protection of civil rights and freedoms’ and the silver F. Plevako medal as well as other awards.
Sergey is a member of the Expert Panel of the Committee for Legal and Judicial Matters of the Federation Council and co-chairman of the Expert Council on Taxes at the Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Sergey Pepeliaev is a member of the Board of the Moscow Region Chamber of Attorneys. He plays an active role in state and public projects relating to development of the legal profession, advocacy and the judicial system in Russia. Sergey Pepeliaev is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Fund assisting the Kremlin Museums.
- Lomonosov Moscow State University
- Sergey holds a degree of candidate in legal sciences
Russia > Energy and natural resources
Recent highlights for the team at Pepeliaev Group include advising Zarubezhneft on various regulatory matters concerning the implementation of the product sharing agreement and development of Kharyagaoil field in the Nenets autonomous region. Real estate and construction partner Natalia Stenina and tax specialist Sergey Pepeliaev are the main figures.
Russia > TaxWithin: Leading individuals -
Pepeliaev Group’s ‘client oriented team‘ maintains a strong reputation for domestic tax regulatory matters, where it is ‘highly experienced in tax compliance and the operations of tax authorities‘, corporate and private taxation and M&A and security market transactions. Andrey Tereschenko is assisting Hitachi Zosen Inova with tax and customs structuring concerning a large-scale waste incineration construction project in Moscow and Kazan. In other matters, practice head and tax disputes lead Rustem Ahmetshin is representing Atrium Europe Real Estate Group in a series of cases challenging the orders of the tax authorities. Andrey Nikonov has particular experience of profit tax, VAT, and mineral extraction tax and Ivan Khamenushko specialises in currency regulation and securities transactions. Valentina Akimova is recommended for transfer pricing and VAT disputes. Managing partner Sergey Pepeliaev is ‘a leading expert‘ in corporate and private taxation. Viktor Arhipov joined Nadmitov, Ivanov and Partners Law Firm LLC and Lyudmila Merkulova is now with Danilov & Partners. Andrey Kirillov was anew arrival from PwC Legal (PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal CIS B.V.).
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Commercial, corporate and M&a: St Petersburg and elsewhere
- Intellectual property
- Private client
- Dispute resolution: Litigation
- Real estate and construction
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Banking and finance: Lender or arranger side
- Energy and natural resources
- Commercial, corporate and M&a: Moscow