Mr Leonid Barkov > Pepeliaev Group > Moscow, Russia > Lawyer Profile
Pepeliaev Group Offices
BUILDING 1, 39 3RD TVERSKAYA
- Go to...
Mr Leonid Barkov
Bankruptcy and Anti-crisis Protection of Business Practice (a part of Dispute Resolution and Mediation Practice)
Senior Associate, Bankruptcy and Anti-crisis Protection of Business Practice
Leonid specialises in civil and procedural law, litigation, dispute resolution and insolvency (bankruptcy).
Leonid has been directly involved in a large number of disputes in different areas of law, including those relating to challenging transactions, having secondary liability imposed, construction and supply arrangements, real estate, collateral/security, and intellectual property, among others.
He has significant experience of implementing insolvency projects, and has provided support during a bankruptcy procedure of a company that is the predominant employer in a given town.
His key achievements:
Leonid’s professional experience involves defending high-profile major Russian and foreign companies in dispute resolution proceedings.
His top litigation engagements in the sphere of bankruptcy include the following:
- Successfully representing a major European bank in a case relating to the bankruptcy of a Russian bank, which allowed over RUB 6 billion to be saved. These funds had been transferred before the bankruptcy proceedings started through margin lending transactions and financial pledge transactions completed in compliance with EU law.
- Representing an entrepreneur whom the tax authority considered as the beneficial owner and party in control of the debtor, in a dispute to have secondary liability imposed on the entrepreneur in the amount of RUB 4.45 billion.
- Protecting the interests of a major construction company in multiple disputes further to motions demanding to have secondary liability imposed and to challenge transactions in various bankruptcy cases. These efforts allowed the client’s assets to be saved in an amount of over RUB 3 billion.
- Successfully defending a Russian bank in a case relating to the bankruptcy of another bank. This case involved the Deposit Insurance Agency challenging transactions to settle in non-cash form bank-to-bank loans worth over 1% of the bank’s assets directly before the licence was revoked.
- Supporting a foreign bank in a series of court disputes connected with the effectiveness of loan and pledge agreements, and having bad debts successfully collected using bankruptcy tools.
Leonid has considerable experience in the field of contractual work, assessing risks of transactions being challenged and liability being imposed, and restructuring of assets.
Delivering services which are ‘excellent in terms of quality and professionalism’, Pepeliaev Group prides itself on prevailing in the majority of the insolvency cases it handles in court. This litigation strength is mirrored in the expertise of practice head Yulia Litovtseva, a former bankruptcy judge in a regional commercial court, who is ‘very attentive to the interests of the client’. Senior associate Leonid Barkov is particularly well-versed in acting on the side of Russian and foreign corporate defendants.