Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Fr > Jakarta, Indonesia > Firm Profile
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Fr Offices
18TH FLOOR, TOWER 1, SUDIRMAN 7.8
JL. JENDRAL SUDIRMAN KAV. 7-8
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Fr > The Legal 500 RankingsHiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills has an experienced contentious and non-contentious competition practice and showcases particular expertise in advising on antitrust aspects of M&A transactions. The practice has a global client base and advises multinationals in industries ranging from manufacturing to technology. Competition specialist Sakurayuki heads the practice and has strong telecoms industry expertise. Disputes partner Narendra Adiyasa is a key name to note for contentious anti-competition matters.
Other key lawyers:
KB Kookmin Bank
Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha
Nippon Steel Corporation
Mitsubishi Heavy Industry
- Advised KB Kookmin Bank on competition law aspects and handled its merger filing with the KPPU in relation to its acquisition of control in Bank Bukopin.
- Advised Kansai Electric on competition law aspects of its joint venture with Medco Power Indonesia, including conducting a merger control analysis and making 10 merger filings with the KPPU.
- Assisted Honda and Hitachi in multiple merger control filings with the KPPU in relation to the merger of three Honda subsidiaries and one Hitachi subsidiary, all major players in Indonesia’s automotive parts business.
Tjahjadi Bunjamin; Adrianus (Tommy) Adritomo
Other key lawyers:
‘One of the team’s strengths are their unique way to make sure every parties’ interest are satisfied. Also they have a Chinese desk that has assisted us on a previous deal and guided us on Chinese law in a practical way, allowing us to easily make decisions regarding the deal.’
‘I worked on several deals with Adrianus (Tommy) Adritomo. The most important skill that every lawyer should have is solving problems so everybody’s interests are fulfilled and Tommy has that capability to do so.’
‘HBT teams can deliver a very good result in terms of any client needs on advice and drafting. HBT teams are ready to assist the client anytime needed and provide a strong standing point on what needs to be done by the client and also an alternative solution.’
‘Middle associate Giovanna Nicky has great communication skills which makes negotiation with the lender’s team easier thus enable us to quickly finalize the required papers.’
‘Tjahjadi Bunjamin is very responsive and provides consistently excellent legal advice.’
AKA Ausfuhrkredit-Gesellschaft mbH
Bank Mandiri (Persero) Tbk.
DBS Bank Ltd.
Deutsche Bank AG
ING Bank NV
Korea Development Bank
Landesbank Baden-Württemberg (LBBW)
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation Limited (OCBC)
PT Centratama Telekomunikasi Indonesia Tbk
PT Panca Amara Utama
- Acted for PT Panca Amara Utama as borrower in a $495m term loan facility from BNI and Bank Mandiri to refinance an existing facility from IFC for its ammonia plant.
- Advised state-owned Bank Mandiri as the lender in connection with a general loan facility to PT Rukun Raharja Tbk.
- Acted for the joint lead managers on the issuance of $3bn and €1bn sustainability-linked bonds by the Republic of Indonesia.
Indonesia > Capital markets Tier 1Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills displays strong cross-border capabilities and advises foreign arrangers and underwriters on both onshore and offshore capital markets work and public M&A. The practice handles both equity capital markets, which covers Regulation S or Rule 144A of the US Securities Act and public M&A work, as well as debt capital markets where clients receive advice on cross-border international bond offerings. Founding partner Tjahjadi Bunjamin has extensive capital markets experience and leads the debt capital markets transactions. The equity capital markets team is led by Viska Kharisma Fajarwati, who has in-depth sector expertise across the banking, fintech and manufacturing sectors. David Dawborn is another key individual to note and frequently advises on structuring cross-border securities transactions.
David Dawborn; Tjahjadi Bunjamin; Viska Kharisma Fajarwati
CIMB Niaga Sekuritas
CLSA Sekuritas Indonesia
Standard Chartered Bank
- Acted for Citigroup Global Markets Inc., Mandiri Securities Pte. Ltd., HSBC and Standard Chartered Bank in the issuance of $1.5bn in bonds by PT Perusahaan Listrik Negara (Persero) under Regulation S and Rule 144A of the US Securities Law.
- Acted for KB Kookmin Bank in its acquisition of PT Bank Bukopin Tbk through a series of change of control transactions via a rights issue and private placement.
- Advised PT Smartfren Telecom Tbk on its fourth domestic rights issue, and related warrant issue, on the Indonesian Stock Exchange.
Iril Hiswara; Santi Darmawan; David Dawborn; Vik Tang; Sakurayuki
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong firm for series B fintech fundraising work, particularly representing the issuer side. Displayed experience in drafting and negotiating various transaction documents between issuer and strategic investors.’
‘Vik Tang and Cellia Cognard are go to names for fintech and preferred shares equity financing work.’
KB Kookmin Bank
The Kansai Electric Power Co., Inc.
Willis Towers Watson
- Acted for Kookmin Bank in its acquisition of a 67% stake in Bank Bukopin, an Indonesian listed bank.
- Advised Dian Swastatika Sentosa, Tbk (DSS) on divestment of its 75% interest in three Indonesian power plants to China Datang Corp, and PT Inti Bangun Sejahtera Tbk (IBS) on its sale of 3,000 telecom towers to Tower Bersama group.
- Acted for LinkAja, the state-backed digital payment platform, onthe strategic investments by Grab and Gojek.
Narendra Adiyasa; Debby Sulaiman
‘They are knowledgeable and understand our commercial needs. HBT is very responsive and they work very well under pressure.’
‘Every individual at HBT is very responsive. They’re very easy going and we are always very comfortable bringing our legal issues to them.’
‘Friendly team, sound and grounded advice, well-rounded practice, real expertise and insights into local and cross-border litigation issues.’
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
Hutchison Ports Holding Limited
Jakarta International Container Terminal
Nordic Aviation Capital
PT Maybank Asset Management
- Represented PT Indo Pancadasa Agrotama in a successful Singapore-seated SIAC arbitration involving a mining dispute.
Indonesia > Foreign firms Tier 1Herbert Smith Freehills LLP advises leading foreign corporations and financial institutions on their investments in South East Asia, particularly on high profile projects in the energy and infrastructure space. The firm has a broad range of industry expertise that covers mining, TMT, financial institutions, consumer and real estate. David Dawborn and Vik Tang are both based in Jakarta, allowing the firm to strengthen its alliance with its associated office; Dawborn is well-regarded in the energy sector and Tang specialises in foreign investment and M&A in the technology space. Alastair Henderson heads the Southeast Asia international arbitration practice and Glynn Cooper heads the Southeast Asia energy and infrastructure practice. Asia practice heads Mark Robinson and Adrian Cheng head the TMT and banking and finance practices, respectively. International law and cross-border disputes specialist Gitta Satryani is another key name to note.
David Dawborn; Vik Tang; Adrian Cheng; Glynn Cooper; Gitta Satryani
Other key lawyers:
Alistair Henderson; David Clinch; Mark Robinson
‘They are a sensible and practical firm that responds quickly and delivers concise advice. They are very experienced and their advice always considers the nature and policy of the client’s business.’
The Kansai Electric Power Co., Inc.
PT Pertamina Rosneft Pengolahan dan Petrokimia
Pacific Century Group (PCG)
- Acted for LinkAja, the state-backed digital payment platform, on a strategic investment by Grab and Go-Jek.
- Advised Temasek on its investment in PT Diamond in Indonesia.
- Advised Japan’s Kansai Electric Power Co., Inc. (Kansai) on a strategic alliance with PT Medco Power Indonesia (MPI) to develop and operate power plants in Indonesia.
Sakurayuki; Vik Tang
‘Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung regularly schedule webinar and Q&A sessions inviting all their clients/potential clients to participate in the talks. They also regularly inform their clients of any laws/regulations updates through e-mail and website.’
‘Partner Sakurayuki never fails to mitigate a complex legal matter by proposing her ‘strike out’ trouble-shoot and she masters in TMT and M&A. Her leadership is also notably in ensuring the overall project to reach the optimum on quality, time and cost.’
Taobao China Holding Limited (Alibaba Group)
PT Telekomunikasi Selular (Telkomsel)
PT Indosat Tbk (Indosat)
PT Smartfren Telecom Tbk
PT. Fintek Karya Nusantara (LinkAja)
Tiger Global Management
PT Inti Bangun Sejahtera Tbk (IBS)
PT Metra Digital Investama (MDI)
Standard Chartered Bank
- Advised Telkomsel on the sale and lease back of 6,050 of Telkomsel’s telecom towers to PT Dayamitra Telekomunikasi (Mitratel), a subsidiary of state-owned Telkom Indonesia.
- Advising Grab Financial in various business expansion initiatives in Indonesia relating to insure-tech; and Grab Holdings on 1) the proposed merger of its business with GoJek and 2) Grab’s strategic investment into PT Elang Mahkota Teknologi (Emtek).
- Advising PT. Fintek Karya Nusantara (LinkAja) on various complex matters relating to the potential $200m Series B investment funding round from key regional financial and strategic investors, including Gojek and Grab.
Narendra Adiyasa; Santi Darmawan
‘Not all international law firms understand the dynamic and complexity of Indonesian labour law. HBT is able to provide practical solutions to complex employment issues while ensuring compliance with the applicable laws.’
Bridgestone Sumatra Rubber Estate, PT
New Zealand Embassy
Hutchison Ports Indonesia, PT
- Advised Willis Towers Watson on employment issues in relation to the restructuring of its Indonesian business.
- Assisting McConnell Dowell on various employment issues relating to labour reforms under Indonesia’s 2020 Omnibus Law.
- Assisting Google with various employment law issues to ensure compliance with labour reforms under Indonesia’s Omnibus Law.
David Dawborn; Dhani Maulana MM Pattinggi; Matthew Goerke
‘The key attribute of this team is good turnaround times and practical advice which is not simply a summary of the legal framework.’
‘Matthew Georke is the primary person I work with. His difference is his practical approach, and the fact that he qualified in Australia certainly makes it easier in terms of bridging the gap in terms of understanding the foreign legal and regulatory landscape. Very good lawyer. Great engagement and makes himself available at short notice. ’
‘I believe that especially the legal team led by Mr. Dhani MM Pattinggi in HBT in Indonesia has a very broad understanding of the Indonesian government’s oil and gas policies and regulations. The team provides customers with clearer policy trends through a wide network with Indonesian government officials and has a lot of experience in the field of oil and gas contracts, which makes it excellent for legal advice to minimize customer’s potential risks.’
‘I consider appropriate legal advice, prompt answers, and a suggestion of solutions to mitigate risks based on a law firm’s extensive experiences as my biggest factors to estimate the legal performance. I believe Mr. Dhani, Ms. Paskalia, and Mr. Arman have all the elements and attitudes mentioned above. They provided legal advice to me at any time and in urgent situations by the due date, and the quality of the legal advice was also very attentive and satisfactory by comparing related regulations and similar contracts. They are always ready to respond to our requests.’
Sumitomo Metal Mining
PT Dian Swastatika Sentosa
Korea Water Resources Corporation
PT Adhi Karya
Kansai Electric Power Company
PT Amman Mineral Nusa Tenggara
The Weir Group
Road King Infrastructure
- Advising Sumitomo Metal Mining in relation to its ongoing investment in, development and financing of a $2.5bn high-pressure acid leach (HPAL) project in South Sulawesi through a joint venture with PT Vale Indonesia.
- Advising PT Dian Swastatika Sentosa on its strategic alliance arrangement with China Datang Corporation (a Chinese state-owned enterprise) in respect of three operating coal-fired power plants in Indonesia.
- Advising the K-Water and PT Adhi Karya (Persero) consortium on its successful bid for the development, operation and maintenance of the Karian-Serpong bulk water supply project in Indonesia to be procured on a PPP basis.
Indonesia > Real estate Tier 1The real estate team at Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills has a strong client base that consists of multinational banks, real estate funds, manufacturing companies and hotel groups. The team handles investments and disposals, M&A, joint ventures, capital markets matters, financings and restructurings involving real estate businesses and interests. Founding partner Iril Hiswara and M&A expert Vik Tang lead the practice. Teguh Arwiko is also noted.
Iril Hiswara; Vik Tang
Other key lawyers:
‘Extensive knowledge of the real estate industry. Very helpful in providing insights and solutions, both from the legal and practical point of view.’
‘Vik Tang and Teguh Arwiko are very hands-on in handling projects. They are very focused on finding solutions for the client.’
‘One of the true real estate specialists in the Indonesian legal market. Good legal due diligence reports.’
‘Teguh Arwiko stands out for his Indonesian real estate knowledge. Vik Tang has good market and legal knowledge.’
PT Chitatex Peni (a member of RDTX Group)
Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC)
Marriott International, Inc
PT Indosat Tbk
PT Inti Bangun Sejahtera Tbk (IBS) / Sinar Mas Group
PT Telekomunikasi Selular (Telkomsel)
- Advised Telkomsel on the sale and lease back of 6,050 telecoms towers to Mitratel for $700m.
- Advised Genting Property Sdn Bhd on its joint venture with PT Sentul City for a mixed-use/commercial development.
- Advised Indosat on the sale and lease back of 4,200 telecoms towers to EdgePoint Indonesia for $700m.
Other key lawyers:
Tjahjadi Bunjamin; Adrianus Adritomo (Tommy); Roni Heilig Marpaung
‘A very professional, intelligent and dependable team. We are very happy with the work product.’
‘Debby Sulaiman and Roni Marpaung are excellent.’
Credit Suisse AG, Singapore Branch
AKA Ausfuhrkredit-Gessellschaft MbH
Genting Property Sdn Bhd
PT Batubara Global Energy, a subsidiary of LG International Corp.
Standard Chartered Trade Support (HK)
- Acted for AKA Ausfuhrkredit-Gessellschaft MbH in its successful payment claim during the debt moratorium (PKPU) process of PT Gunung Raja Paksi Tbk, an Indonesian steel manufacturer.
- Acted for Commerzbank AG in in its successful payment claim during the PKPU process of steel manufacturer PT Gunung Raja Paksi Tbk.
- Acted for PT Batubara Global Energy, an Indonesian subsidiary of LG International Corp, in the complex PKPU process of PT Atlas Resources Tbk, a listed Indonesian mining company with a total debt of $384m.
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Fr > Firm Profile
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung (HBT) was established over 20 years ago to meet the growing demand in Indonesia for sophisticated legal expertise and resources of an international standard. HBT is associated with leading global law firm Herbert Smith Freehills, and has one of the closest and longest-standing international associations in the Indonesian legal market, working together to protect the interests of foreign and domestic corporations and financial institutions investing and trading in Southeast Asia’s largest economy.
With 13 partners based in Jakarta, HBT is consistently recognised as one of the leading commercial and corporate law firms in Indonesia. The Jakarta-based team includes long-term international counsel seconded from Herbert Smith Freehills, while Herbert Smith Freehills’ Singapore office includes Indonesian lawyers and recognised Indonesia specialists.
Corporate/M&A: HBT has one of the leading corporate law practices in Indonesia and focuses, in particular, on multinationals and investment firms investing in Indonesia. The team has a strong track record, fielding a bilingual team on with a keen understanding of the key drivers for domestic and international investors, managing complex structural aspects and executing M&A transactions in Indonesia to international standards. Major clients include sovereign wealth funds and global private equity funds. Our Indonesian corporate/M&A practice is led by David Dawborn and Vik Tang, two Herbert Smith Freehills partners seconded to the Jakarta office.
Banking and finance: HBT is widely recognised by clients as an industry leader for its Indonesian banking and finance capability, acting for foreign lenders and creditors in cross-border financing and debt restructurings in Indonesia. Representing many of the world’s major financial institutions, HBT acts on project and structured financings and security structures for Indonesian financings. The team is led by HBT managing partner Tjahjadi Bunjamin and partner Adrianus Adritomo (Tommy).
Capital markets: HBT is recognised by many of the world’s leading investment banks as an industry leader for its capital markets capability, representing foreign arrangers and underwriters in Indonesia and handling onshore and offshore components of capital markets offerings. The practice is led by David Dawborn, Tjahjadi Bunjamin and Viska Kharisma, and covers the full range of capital markets transactions, including equity and debt capital markets.
Dispute resolution: HBT’s dispute resolution practice is one of the most experienced and successful in Jakarta and is recognised for its work with domestic and international clients in the most complex and significant contentious matters. The team has market-leading expertise in civil litigation; arbitration; criminal and corporate investigations; contentious employment matters; restructuring, turnaround and insolvency; business competition and private wealth disputes. The Jakarta practice is led by Narendra Adiyasa and Debby Sulaiman, working closely with Herbert Smith Freehills Singapore partner Gitta Satryani.
Projects and energy: HBT has one of the largest dedicated projects and energy teams focused on Indonesia. With deep relationships with major energy and resources companies in the mining, oil and gas and power sectors, the team has worked on the most significant M&A and financing matters in Indonesia, acting on the most complex mining and natural resources projects. The energy practice is led by HBT partner Dhani Maulana M Pattinggi and senior international counsel and Herbert Smith Freehills partner Matthew Goerke.
|Adrianus (Tommy) Adritomo||Partner||View Profile|
|Tjahjadi Bunjamin||Partner||View Profile|
|David Dawborn||Senior International Counsel||View Profile|
|Matthew Goerke||Matthew became a Herbert Smith Freehills partner in May 2019 and has…||View Profile|
|Viska Kharisma||Viska is a corporate partner who specialises in the capital markets and…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresLawyers : 75
LanguagesEnglish Indonesian French
Reforms to the audit market – major changes aheadRecent years have seen an unprecedented focus on audit and auditors in the UK. This has been driven, at least in part, by a number of high-profile corporate failures as well as the perceived widening of the ‘audit expectations gap’, the difference between what users expect from an audit and the reality of what an …
All together nowThe important role that UK business has to play in wider society is being reflected in their updated corporate governance arrangements, explain Paul Ellerman, Caroline Rae, Gareth Sykes and Ben Ward of Herbert Smith Freehills In most major jurisdictions there has been a considerable increase in focus on corporate governance issues in recent years. In …
Why does a GC need to know about warranty and indemnity insurance?I am writing this from my home office, the world having been turned somewhat upside down in the last few weeks. I was expecting to be writing about warranty and indemnity (W&I) insurance trends and claims in 2020, but the form book has been very much disrupted, at least in the short term. I have …
Are you prepared?Alexander Oddy, Greig Anderson, Paul Lewis and Tom Hutchinson of Herbert Smith Freehills review the major insurance issues facing in-house lawyers in the current market.
White-collar crime developments and trends in the UAEThe risk of white-collar crime in the UAE is high, but authorities are increasingly proactive in taking steps to prevent, detect and prosecute crime and thereby to enhance the country’s profile as a safe investment destination.
Insurance items on the board’s agenda for 2021The past 12 months have been unprecedented on many fronts. Insurance is an important asset that can provide protection for organisations in challenging times and now that the proverbial ‘rainy day’ has arrived, in-house lawyers need to work closely with their risk managers and the business to maximise potential recoveries under the range of policies …
Insurance and insolvencyThe pandemic has plunged many previously healthy businesses into or close to insolvency, with serious implications for both the company itself and its commercial counterparties. In the middle of a crisis, it is easy to overlook insurance. Yet, by taking the right steps, corporates can use insurance to bring much-needed stability and liquidity.