Mr Alain Steichen > BSP > Luxembourg, Luxembourg > Lawyer Profile
11, rue du Château d’Eau
- Go to...
Mr Alain Steichen
Tax | Corporate
- Alain is Managing Partner at BSP.
- He has been involved in numerous migrations of companies to Luxembourg and has advised on major domestic and international corporate restructurings, including pre-sale reorganisations and intra-group financings.
- He also advises on complex international and domestic recapitalisations, (de)mergers, acquisitions and sales of businesses, where he has vast experience in acting for banks and telecom solutions providers.
- Alain has extensive experience in tax litigation, negotiation with revenue authorities and settlement of disputes. As such, he advises multi-nationals, financial institutions, corporates and high net worth individuals on a number of ongoing tax and VAT local and cross-border disputes.
- He also regularly advises on various European tax law questions with particular focus on EU State aid.
- An Associate Professor at the University of Luxembourg in public finance, European tax, international tax and company taxation, he is the author of various books (15+) and articles on Luxembourg accounting, tax and company law.
- Former réviseur d’entreprises and former expert comptable, Alain was the head of Tax at PWC Luxembourg until 1996.
English, French, German, Luxembourgish.
- Admitted to the Luxembourg Bar, 1996; Paris, 1994.
- University of Saarbrücken, Germany, Doctorat en Droit (Ph.D. in Law), 1994.
- Université Paris I-Panthéon-Sorbonne, France, Maîtrise en Droit Privé, mention Droit des Affaires (Master in Private Law), 1984.
- Université Aix-Marseille III, France, Maîtrise en sciences économiques (Master in Economics), 1983.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The ‘very responsive and commercial’ team at BSP provides ‘practical advice’ directly to clients, as well as on a considerable amount of referral work from international law firms, where its independent status and expertise in the space are strong selling points. The scope of the work is broad covering tax structuring advice associated with company migrations to Luxembourg, advice on hot-button legislative developments and in the context of transactional work. A ‘thought leader’ in the field, team head Alain Steichen regularly provides advice on various European tax law questions including on EU State aid, which he combines with his work providing the structuring associated with major global restructurings and M&A/financing mandates. Steichen also handles contentious tax matters, and alongside Pol Mellina continues to represent the Luxembourg in various VAT-related disputes. Counsel Daniel Riedel is a ‘pleasure to deal with’ for clients seeking day-to-day advisory work, as well as it pertains to tax planning and transaction-related structuring.