Marian Derham > Harbottle & Lewis LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Harbottle & Lewis LLP Offices
7 Savoy Court
- Go to...
Marian Derham is a partner and is recognised as an employment law expert in The Legal 500. Marian has developed particular expertise acting for senior executives at the highest levels in sectors including banking, professional services, TV, film, theatre, telecoms, technology and publishing industries; and negotiating and advising on both exit strategies/termination packages and contractual arrangements. Marian provides day to day advice to HR departments and directors on strategic issues including redundancies and reorganisations, disciplinaries and grievances and board/director disputes and senior executive appointments. Having previously been a partner in the Corporate Group in the earlier part of her career at Harbottle & Lewis, Marian’s experience within the corporate environment means she is well placed to advise on the employment aspects of mergers and acquisitions, negotiating commercial contracts and advising company directors. Marian represents employers from a wide range of industries including television, film, theatre, fashion, retail, publishing, sport and charities sectors. Marian’s clients include Comic Relief, Core Media Group (owners of American Idol), Wolford London Limited, Ladies European Tour Limited, Nederlander Theatres, Raymond Gubbay Limited and Playful Productions Limited. Marian advises on all employment matters including: termination of employment, exit negotiations and appointments; performance management; bullying, harassment and discrimination, complex grievances and disciplinaries; constructive dismissal and breach of contract; maternity, paternity and flexible working requests; advising on company share sales and/or board restructures; sickness, absences and capability; service contracts, employment contracts, freelance contracts and consultancy agreements; restrictive covenants; outsourcing and insourcing and TUPE issues and Working Time Regulations and holiday pay.
Qualified 1984 and joined Harbottle & Lewis the same year, originally as a company commercial lawyer, becoming partner in 1989. Marian co-founded the employment group as a standalone department in 2000.
The Employment Lawyers Association.
London School of Economics (1981 LLB Hons).
Young family, travel, running.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- Risk advisory > Reputation management
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Brand management
- Human resources > Employment: senior executives
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Private client > Family
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Human resources > Employment: employers