Colin Howes > Harbottle & Lewis LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Harbottle & Lewis LLP Offices
7 Savoy Court
- Go to...
Corporate and commercial group
Co-head of company commercial group; provides strategic and corporate advice primarily for clients in the media/entertainment, aviation and leisure industries.
Recent deals includes investments in No.1 Lounges and Bounce, the sale of medical technology specialist The Learning Clinic to System C and investments in several independent TV production companies, including Kindle Productions (by Lionsgate), Amazing Productions (by BBC Worldwide), Blink Productions (by Tin Roof Media), Emporium (by Hat Trick), Dancing Ledge (by Fremantle Media) and Caravan Media (by All3Media).
- Articled, Harbottle & Lewis; qualified 1981; partner 1984; managing partner 1992-2000
- Trustee of Comic Relief since 1984
- Ipswich School
- Oriel College, Oxford (1978 MA English)
Harbottle & Lewis LLP is best known for its work on advising corporate foundations, media-related fundraising charities as well as subsidised arts organisations. It also continues to advise a number of new charities on a diverse range of matters with David Scott and Colin Howes at the helm. Scott’s practice spans from advising well-known charities to advising high-net-worth individuals on their personal philanthropy. Howes provides advice in relation to various charities’ ongoing governance and compliance as well broader legal issues.
Harbottle & Lewis LLP is best known for providing advice to clients on strategic transactions in the technology, retail, leisure and entertainment sectors. The majority of instructions come from entrepreneurs and owner-managed businesses, in addition to larger corporates in the firm’s core TME sector. An increasing proportion of matters carry cross-border elements, with the firm acting for clients with international interests. The team is co-led by Colin Howes and Tim Parker, both of whom have handled multiple transactions across the firm’s core sectors.
- M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m - London > Corporate and commercial
- Charities and not-for-profit - London > Private client
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- Risk advisory > Reputation management
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Brand management
- Human resources > Employment: senior executives
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Private client > Family
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Human resources > Employment: employers