Abigail Payne > Harbottle & Lewis LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Harbottle & Lewis LLP Offices
7 Savoy Court
- Go to...
Film and TV.
Partner in the Film and TV Group providing advice on all aspects of development, finance, production and distribution of feature films and television programmes and exploitation of ancillary rights. Particular expertise is in advising film funds, EIS schemes and structuring international co-productions and providing advice on tax incentives (including the film and high-end TV and animation production tax credits), and international subsidies for a wide international client base of producers, distributors, broadcasters, exhibitors, agents, insurance companies and artists.
Trained Theodore Goddard; qualified 1995; business affairs executive BBC (Drama) 1995-97; associate Harbottle & Lewis 1997-2002; partner 2002.
BAFTA; New Producers Alliance; Women in Film & Television.
Bath University (BA European Studies with French and German Hons); Nottingham Trent University (CPE; LSF).
Polo, tennis, skiing, yoga.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Harbottle & Lewis LLP is noted for its ‘breadth of expertise‘ across theatre, interactive entertainment, media finance, music, film, television and publishing work. The theatre team, which is led by Neil Adleman, regularly acts for producers, theatre owners, subsidised companies and individual writers and directors; it advised on all aspects of the UK and Republic of Ireland tour of the West End production of Motown. The video games group, which is led by Mark Phillips and Alan Moss, is instructed by leading console platforms and publishers, and is regularly engaged on video game financing deals. It is also noted for its e-sports expertise. Abigail Payne heads the media finance team which is experienced across debt, equity and tax-related financings for the film, TV, games, music, publishing and theatre sectors. Elsewhere, the music team is instructed by record labels, publishers, artists, producers, managers and digital music platforms. The film and TV group, where Sarah Lazarides is a pivotal figure, regularly acts as production counsel for major Hollywood productions shooting in the UK and Europe, acts for UK independent film producers and is also instructed by major SVOD platforms. Alex Hardy leads the publishing group, which acts for a number of high-profile publishing houses, authors, publishing sector start-ups and literary agents.
- Leading individuals - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- Media and entertainment (including media finance) - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- Risk advisory > Reputation management
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Brand management
- Human resources > Employment: senior executives
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Private client > Family
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Human resources > Employment: employers