Mr Carlos Abou Jaoude > Abou Jaoude & Associates Law Firm > Beirut, Lebanon > Lawyer Profile
Abou Jaoude & Associates Law Firm Offices
OMT BUILDING - 266 SAMI EL SOLH AVENUE
PO BOX 116-5079, BEIRUT MUSEUM 1106-2010
- Go to...
Mr Carlos Abou Jaoude
Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, Banking, Finance, Project Development, Energy, Tax, Media, Government Relations and Public Policy, Telecoms, Financial Restructuring and Insolvency, Private Wealth and Family Offices, Arbitration, Litigation
Founder and Managing Partner
Carlos Abou Jaoude is the founder and managing partner of Abou Jaoude & Associates Law Firm. He has worked in Paris and London prior to founding the Firm in Beirut.
Carlos has more than 30 years of experience advising key players in the private and public sectors on strategic legal matters. He has led on major transactions of first impression in the region and is particularly praised for his business-savvy perspective. Carlos has also acted for several notable clients in winning complex arbitration and litigation cases, with a particular experience with disputes in the media, energy, and banking sectors.
Carlos is often solicited by public authorities to opine on policy and legislation reforms.
Carlos is consistently recognized as a top-tier Leading Lawyer by prominent international directories, including Chambers & Partners, The Legal 500 (Hall of Fame), and IFLR 1000.
Arabic, French and English
- Admitted to the Beirut Bar Association
- Member of the International Bar Association
- Member of the American Chamber of Commerce’s (AmCham) Banking & Finance Committee
- Member of the Ethics Committee of the Beirut Bar Association
- Sits on several boards of directors and special committees of prominent corporations and investment funds
- Member of the special inter-ministerial legal committee for the Reform of the Investment Climate in Lebanon organized by the Presidency of the Council of Ministers in collaboration with the World Bank and the IFC
JD in Private Law, Saint Joseph University, Lebanon
- Co-author of the Lebanon chapter of the Inward Investment & International Taxation Review published by The Law Reviews and edited by Latham & Watkins USA; the Lebanon chapter of the Banking Regulation guide published by Getting the Deal Through and edited by Wachtell, Lipton, Rose and Katz USA; and the Lebanon chapter of the Energy Regulation & Markets Review published by The Law Reviews and edited by Latham & Watkins USA
- Contributor to the World Bank Lebanon Doing Business Reports on “Starting a Business” and “Contracting with the Government”
- Speaker at the Euromoney Lebanon conference, the BDL Accelerate conference, and the International Beirut Energy Forum (IBEF)
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Abou Jaoude & Associates Law Firm is well placed to handle large cross-border transactions and complex restructurings for large multinationals. The team is known for its pharmaceutical sector work headed by Simon El Kai, and counts Moderna as a key client amidst the ongoing- Covid-19 crisis in Lebanon; El Kai also heads up the corporate offering. Souraya Machnouk leads the M&A team at the firm. Managing partner Carlos Abou Jaoude and Ibrahim Barraj are likewise recommended.
The projects team at Abou Jaoude & Associates Law Firm is active in the oil and gas, and renewable energy sectors particularly electricity, and handles a steady stream of procurement matters for clients. The team under the leadership of managing partner Carlos Abou Jaoude and partner Souraya Machnouk, also advises on energy contracts, project financings, and PPP projects. Regulatory work also features in the workload.
Abou Jaoude & Associates Law Firm stands out for its commercial arbitration experience and handles high-profile mandates including at the ICC and ICSID. Head of domestic and international arbitration; Rania Khoury is the key contact for disputes, particularly in the construction, media, and energy space. It has also seen an increase of banking-related litigation in the past year. Carlos Abou Jaoude handles high-value arbitrations and lawsuits and is supported by Simon El Kai on the pharmaceutical side. Senior associate Hachem El Housseini is also of note. The team also acts as co-counsel with international law firms.
Abou Jaoude & Associates Law Firm remain market leaders in the banking space and has an excellent reputation handling large capital markets transactions and financings. The experienced practice is regularly instructed by local and international banks and financial instructions on multi-million-dollar bond issuances, investment agreements, and syndicated loans. Managing partner Carlos Abou Jaoude leads the team with Souraya Machnouk.
The tax offering at Abou Jaoude & Associates Law Firm advises multinationals and corporates on complex tax aspects of corporate transactions. Carlos Abou Jaoude heads up the tax practice. Souraya Machnouk who leads the firm’s M&A group is a key contact for global tax restructuring matters, and has demonstrable strength in advising global conglomerates on the tax aspects of market entry into Lebanon. Other names include Simon El Kai.
- Banking, finance and capital markets - Lebanon
- Commercial, corporate and M&A - Lebanon
- Hall of Fame - Lebanon > Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Leading individuals - Lebanon > Banking, finance and capital markets
- Real estate and construction (including projects) - Lebanon
- Tax - Lebanon
- Dispute resolution - Lebanon
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking, finance and capital markets
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Real estate and construction (including projects)