Michael Abels > Oppenhoff > Cologne, Germany > Lawyer Profile
- Go to...
IT-Law and Data Protection, Aerospace and Defense
Michael is a founding partner of Oppenhoff. Michael Abels is specialised in advising high-technology enterprises and governments in the areas of acquisitions, restructurings, strategic alliances, joint ventures and commercial contracts. He also advises clients wishing to implement projects in these areas. He originally concentrated on information technology (system agreements, distribution structuring and IT / BPO Outsourcing) but has extended his area of special expertise to aerospace and defence technology.
Michael is a founding partner of Oppenhoff. He was a partner at Oppenhoff & Rädler / Linklaters LLP from 1983 to 2007.
He is a member of the German Law Association (DAV), the German Intellectual Property Rights Association (GRUR), the American Bar Association (ABA) and the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA). He is the Chairman of the Supervisory Board of OneVision AG. Michael is also a member of the German Association for Defence Technology (DWT) and the Association of the German Army (FKH). He represents Oppenhoff in the Federation of German Security & Defence Industries (BDSV).
He studied law at the University of Cologne. Prior to becoming a lawyer he was a television journalist and served for many years as an officer in the German Army Reserve (Lieutenant Colonel German Army Reserve).
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Trade and distribution > Foreign trade law
- Insurance > Advice to insurers
- Private clients and non-profits
- Industry focus > Healthcare and life sciences
- Information technology > Information technology and digitalisation
- Corporate and M&A > M&A: mid-sized deals (sub-€500m)
- Corporate and M&A > Corporate
- Information technology > Data protection
- Public sector > Planning and environment
- Public sector > Public procurement
- Trade and distribution > Trade, distribution and logistics