Mr Sarwat Abd El-Shahid > Shahid Law Firm > Cairo, Egypt > Lawyer Profile
Shahid Law Firm Offices
20B, ADLY STREET
- Go to...
Mr Sarwat Abd El-Shahid
- Competition and Compliance
- Construction and Real Estate
- Investor/State Disputes
- Labor and Employment
- Wills and Estates
Chairman and Founding Partner of Shahid Law Firm
- Sarwat is the Chairman and Founding Partner of Shahid Law Firm. He is a former judge and counselor of the Egyptian State Council (Conseil d’Etat) and is a registered patent attorney.
- Since his entry into private practice, Sarwat has provided legal advice on various matters including mergers and acquisitions, local and international public securities offerings, corporate finance and restructuring, securitization, investments, estate and tax planning and insurance.
- Some of the industries that have benefitted from Sarwat’s expertise include pharmaceuticals and healthcare, insurance, banking and finance, construction and real estate, infrastructure including BOT and BOOT schemes, logistics and transportation, oil and gas, and renewable and clean energy.
- Sarwat also has over thirty years of experience with regard to contentious matters including litigation and arbitration – appearing before courts of all levels across Egypt, and the enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards; and is also a regularly appointed arbitrator at the Cairo Regional Center for International Commercial Arbitration (CRCICA). In addition, he is very active in the Egyptian business community.
- Furthermore, Sarwat is usually appointed as an expert in various English Courts and was also chosen in 2017 among the list of arbitrators recommended by the Ministry of Justice.
“Legal Privatization Issues in Egypt,” Euromoney Publications, 1999/2000 (with Rania Bata).
Short Articles and Blog Posts
“The Phenomenon of Existence of Plenty of Criminal Judgments in absentia in Egypt Due to the Non-Acceptance of Hearing the Defense of the Absent Accused Person in Felonies”, Al-Ahram Weekly, March 5, 2015. Also, the article appeared on June 25, 2015, in Egyptian Justice (www.egyptianjustice.com).
- Arabic (native)
- English (fluent)
- American Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Swiss Egyptian Business Association (SEBA)
- British Egyptian Business Association (BEBA)
- American Chamber of Commerce (AmCham)
- Association of Arab & African Arbitrators
- Egyptian Association for Political Economy, Statistics and Legislation
- Egyptian International Law Association
- Advisory Board of the Young Arab Arbitrators Forum (“YAAF”)
Ain Shams University, 1972-1976
LL.M, Master’s Degree in Law (Public Law and International Private Law)
Ain Shams University, 1967
LL.B, Bachelor of Law
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Shahid Law Firm has one of the largest and most prominent litigation practices in Cairo, with eight partners who are increasingly specialised in their dispute resolution work. Former judge Sarwat Abd El-Shahid is a registered patent attorney, Girgis Abd El-Shahid handles, among other things, investor-state disputes and energy matters, and Sameh Attia focuses on commercial disputes in the media sector. Tarek Badawy, Nabil El-Bedewy, senior partner Mahmoud El-Ganzouri, Mohamed Atef and Soad Fayek are also heavily involved in commercial litigation. ‘The firm has a great team, very efficient’, remarks one client.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation