Mr. Mohamed Kassem > Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law > Cairo, Egypt > Lawyer Profile
Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law Offices
23 KASR EL NIL STREET
- Go to...
Mr. Mohamed Kassem
Mr. Mohamed Kassem, Senior Associate, started his practice in 2006 with a special focus on intellectual property rights (IPR) and corporate laws. In addition to advising clients on filing, prosecution, protection and registering of intellectual property rights, Mr. Kassem provides advice on legal courses of action and enforcement against counterfeiters and trademarks infringements. He is also well-versed in negotiating and drafting assignments and licenses agreements on patents, trademarks and copyrights and all IPR-related agreements as well as transfer of ownership and franchise agreements. He also advises on registration of domain and trade names, medical devices and drugs.
With a fast growing 14 years of practical experience, he has filed a large number of patent and trademark applications on behalf of national and multinational companies. Furthermore and as member of due diligence teams in different projects, Mr. Kassem provides valuable input to all matters related to intellectual property rights, property, contracts, insurance, and employment.
Selected examples of the intellectual Property matters he has recently handled include:
- Representing Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications SAE in the court action brought by Rotana Audio Visual towards stopping the use of a song by Amr Diab and claiming USD 6 million as indemnification for related damages. (In progress)
- Representing 9 Round Franchising LLC in its request to revoke the Trademarks Office’s rejection of the registration of the trademark “9 ROUND”. (In progress)
- Representing Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications SAE in its appeal against Etisalat claiming EGP 5 million as indemnification for the unauthorized use of the character “El Mared” (the Giant) in TV commercials. (2019)
- Representing Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications SAE in its appeal against the unauthorized use of Mr. Elsayed Mahmoud Aly Youssef’s (the Plaintiff) personal photo in an advertisement. (2018)
- Representing RNA Intellectual Property Limited (the Plaintiff) in its Request to cancel the Trademarks Department’s Refusal of Registration of the Trademark “Max”. (2018)
- Representing Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications SAE in its defense in the appeal against the sentence issued for the unauthorized use of the prayers, essays and lectures of the Late Sheikh Mohamed Metwally Alsharawy.
- The sentence issued on 23/8/2013 cancelling TM Appeals Committee’s decision and confirming acceptance of registration of the Trademark “Juniors”. The Firm has been pursuing this case for years in order to register the said Trademark under Class 25* (garments, footwear and headgear). The brand Juniors is well known in the Arab Gulf Council States.
- The sentence issued on 25 February 2016 to the effect of non-acceptance of an action by Eng. Ashraf K. Mashhour (and another party) against Vodafone Egypt, the Central Bank of Egypt, National Telecom Regulatory Authorities, Mobinil, Etisalat Misr and some banks demanding damages for alleged infringements to patent rights in respect of cash transfers through mobiles.
- Representing Vodafone Egypt in its defense against a claim for EGP 5 million as damages for the un-authorized use of the music of the Al-Leila Al-Kebira Operetta in a TV advertisement
Mr. Mohamed Kassem was ranked by the LEGAL 500 as a “Rising Star” in the Intellectual Property practice in 2020 and as a “Next Generation Lawyer” for the years 2018 and 2019.
Mr. Kassem is member of the Egyptian Bar Association and was admitted before the Egyptian Court of Appeal in 2016. He is also member of the Egyptian Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AEPPI) and the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI). He has participated in the AIPPI annual meeting in Seoul in 2012 and in annual meetings of AEPPI. He also took part in the patents drafting seminar at the Egyptian Patent Office. He is fluent in Arabic and English.
Mr. Kassem received the LL.B. from Alexandria University in 2006.
Arabic and English
The Egyptian Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AEPPI)
The International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
LL.B. from Alexandria University, Egypt