Mr Yasser Hashem > Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law > Cairo, Egypt > Lawyer Profile
Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law Offices
23 KASR EL NIL STREET
- Go to...
Mr Yasser Hashem
Corporate - M&A
Mr. Yasser Hashem is the Managing Partner of ZH&P. The legal skills he has extended to the privatization of public sector entities in Egypt and to the inception of the private provisions of telecom services – and the promulgation of its laws – has placed him as a valued veteran of the legal practice in Egypt. Combining a wide range of extensive legal knowledge with honed networking and interpersonal skills, Mr. Hashem protects and furthers the interest of over 100 local and international clients.
With a special focus on the practice of Corporate Law, Mr. Hashem has supported the privatization programme of public sector entities in Egypt through hundreds of restructurings, incorporations of foreign and domestic companies and through advising foreign and local investors on the most efficient vehicles and structures for implementing their investments in Egypt.
As related to the fields of M&A and capital markets, he has reliably represented acquirers in all major tender offers and M&A transactions in Egypt and has led the largest four major multibillion US dollars Mandatory Tender Offers post the January 2011 Revolution, namely:
- Advised Qatar National Bank in its successful US$ 2.6 billion acquisition of National Société Générale Bank (2013);
- Advised OCI N.V. (the Netherlands based global nitrogen fertilizer producer) in successfully acquiring Orascom Construction Industries (the biggest company listed in EGX) through a combined cash and stock tender offer for an approximate amount of US$ 7.5 billion (2013);
- Advised France Telecom (Orange) (one of the leading network operators for mobile, broadband internet and fixed line) in its successful US$ 3 billion acquisition of Mobinil – considered as one of the largest post revolution acquisition transactions in the telecommunication sector (2012); and
- Advised Electrolux (a global leader in household and professional use appliances) in its successful US$ 500 million acquisition of Olympic Group (2011).
Additional examples of his experience in Mergers & Acquisitions include:
- Advising the Consortium of Buyers in the Acquisition of BMW’s Business in Egypt (2020)
- Advising Banque Misr and Al Ahly Capital Holding in the Acquisition of 40% of the Shares of the International Business Associates Group for Money Transfer Services SAE (IBAG) (2020)
- Advising in the acquisition of the issued share capital of Vodafone International Services LLC from Vodafone Egypt Telecommunications SAE (2019)
- Advising BPE Partners and TCV1 regarding the acquisition of a majority stake in Tamweel Group. (2019)
- Advising Mediterrania Capital Partners (Mauritius) Ltd in its acquisition of ca. to 70% of Cairo Scan Radiology and Labs’ issued share capital. (2018)
- Advising the Commercial International Bank (CIB) in the sale of majority stake in CI Capital to a consortium of non-related Egyptian investors. (2017)
- Advising in the sale of a minority stake in Madinet Nasr for Housing and Development S.A.E. (2017)
- Advising in the sale of the majority stake in Kuwait Food Co. (Americana). (2016)
- Advising Beltone Financial Holding in its Acquisition of the Majority Stake in Auerbach Grayson (New York-based brokerage firm). (2016)
- Advising Misr Cement Qena Company in its acquisition of all the shares owned by ASEC Cement (an affiliate to Qalaa Holding) in ASEC Minya Cement Company and ASEC Ready Mix Companies (2015)
Additionally, he played a major role in most of the Initial Public Offerings (IPO’s) that took place in Egypt throughout the last decade, examples of which include:
- Anticipated Initial Public Offering of E Finance SAE on the EGX through a Secondary Offering. (2020)
- Follow-on offering of Alexandria Container and Cargo Handling Company SAE on the EGX. (2019)
- ENPPI’s contemplated Initial Public Offering. (2019)
- BPE Holding for Financial Investments’ EGP 450 million listing on the EGX. (2018)
- Raya Contact Centre’s listing on the EGX. (2017)
- IPO of M.M. Group for Industry and International Trade S.A.E. (MTI) with a transaction value of EGP 719,928,000.
- IPO of Orascom Construction Limited (the first foreign company to perform dual listing in the Egyptian market in form of shares in 20 years) with a transaction value of approx. USD 185.4 million.
- IPO of Juhayna (the first IPO to take place since 2008) with a transaction value of USD 206 million.
- IPO and GDRs of Palm Hills Development with a transaction value of USD 343 million.
- IPO of Maridive & Oil Services with a transaction value of USD 261.5 million.
- IPO of GB Auto with a transaction value of EGP 1.2 billion.
- IPO of Arafa Group with a transaction value of approx. USD 92 million.
- IPO and GDRs of Talaat Mostafa Group with a transaction value of USD 823 million.
Selected relevant examples of Debt Capital Market matters that Mr. Hashem has overseen include:
- The Arab Republic of Egypt US$ 1.5 billion Global Medium Term Note Program and the first issuance by Egypt of sovereign notes under Regulation S and Rule 144A. This Project has won the award for Sub-Investment Grade Bond/Sukuk Deal of the Year category in the Bonds, Loans and Sukuk 2015 Awards.
- Acting as the Legal Advisor to the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 10th Securitization by the Egyptian Securitization Company (as issuer of an asset backed securitization portfolio of a financial leasing receivables pool originated by CORPLEASE). (2014 -2020)
Mr. Hashem’s legal skills were also extended to the telecommunication sector in Egypt through advising on the most significant telecommunications licenses and M&A transactions in Egypt. The legal services he has extended to this sector include the acquisition and mandatory tender offers of telecommunication companies as well as supporting bidding consortia through the majority of mobile and fixed wireless license bids. He has contributed in the drafting and negotiation of all major telecom licenses including public payphones, mobile cellular networks, private data networks, satellite and marine fiber optic cabling, etc. He has also led the team acting for the largest post revolution acquisition transactions in the telecommunication sector in 2012 and advised Orange (one of the leading network operators for mobile, broadband internet and fixed line) in its successful 100% acquisition of Mobinil for approximately US$ 3 billion. Mr. Hashem’s expertise in the telecom sector has led to his appointment by Ministerial Decree as Member of the New Telecommunications Act Drafting Committee.
In 2019 and 2020, Mr. Yasser Hashem was ranked by the LEGAL 500 as “Leading Individual” in the practices of 1) Banking & Finance; 2) Commercial, Corporate and M&A; and 3) Technology, Media, and Telecommunications. In 2018, he was ranked by the LEGAL 500 as “Leading Individual” in the Banking & Finance practice and the Commercial, Corporate and M&A practice and was recommended in the Technology, Media, and Telecommunications. He had been ranked as “Leading Individual” in Banking & Finance; Commercial, Corporate and M&A; and Telecoms for the years 2016 and 2017. His name figures in the LEGAL 500’s “Hall of Fame” for the ninth consecutive year (the most recent being in 2020). Mr. Hashem was also ranked by IFLR1000 as “Highly Regarded Leading Lawyer” in the Capital Markets, Banking and M&A practices for the years 2018, 2019, and 2020 and as “Leading Lawyer” in the Financial and Corporate Practice for the years 2016 and 2017. He was ranked by Chambers and Partners Global as “Eminent Practitioner” in the practices of Corporate and M&A, Banking and Finance, and Capital Markets in 2021; as “Eminent Practitioner” in Banking and Finance and Corporate/M&A in 2020; and as “Eminent Practitioner” in Banking and Finance and as “Band 1” Lawyer in the Corporate / M&A practice in 2019. He had been ranked as “Band 1” Lawyer in Corporate / M&A (2017 and 2018) and as “Band 1” Lawyer in Banking & Finance (2018). His initial ranking by Chambers and Partners dates back to the year 2000.
Mr. Hashem received the LL.B. from Cairo University in 1989 and was admitted before the Egyptian Court of Cassation in 2007. He is a member of the Egyptian Society of International Law and the Licensing Executive Society. He is fluent in Arabic, English, and German.
Energy Law Group, American Chamber of Commerce in Egypt, Chambre de Commerce et d’Industrie Française en Egypte
Mr. Yasser Hashem has graduated from the Deutsche Evangelische Oberschule (DEO), (German School). He achieved his LL.B. from the Faculty of Law, Cairo University, in 1989 and has attended several courses at the American University in Cairo, in 1980.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
‘The team treats new ideas with a high level of professionalism and goes the extra mile to bring new business models to life‘, remarks a client of Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law. ‘A highly dedicated and competent team that delivers on expectations and exceeds them by being a real business partner,’ notes another. A prominent adviser to the telecoms sector, the firm has developed a similar profile in assisting technology start-ups and media companies. Yasser Hashem, who is head of the corporate, capital markets and telecoms practices, is the main contact. Corporate and telecoms partner Dina Kamel is also recommended.
Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law advises international and domestic clients on the establishment, operation, and financing of a vast array of infrastructure projects, often using BOT, BOOT or PPP models. It frequently acts for consortiums in the preparation of bid documents and contract negotiations, as well as handling major cross-border project finance transactions. Head of oil and gas Sameh Khodeir , who is ‘a seasoned expert with years of experience in the petrochemicals sector‘, corporate and capital markets specialist Yasser Hashem, and head of projects Sameh Kamal are the main contacts. Mohamed Gomaa moved to Youssef & Partners Attorneys.
Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law is one of the oldest and largest firms in Egypt and few can match its track record of advising local and international companies on their local business interests. Its work encompasses high-value cross-border M&A transactions, franchising, leasing and licensing, as well as day-to-day commercial advice. Among its many high-profile clients are AIG, Neptune Energy and Philips. Managing partner Yasser Hashem leads the corporate, M&A and capital markets practice. Arig Ali and up-and-coming partners Heba El Naggar and Hossam Hafez are also recommended. ‘By far the most professional and experienced team in Egypt‘, says one client.
- Commercial, corporate and M&A - Egypt
- Hall of Fame - Egypt > Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Leading individuals - Egypt > TMT
- Leading individuals - Egypt > Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Projects and infrastructure - Egypt
- TMT - Egypt
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Intellectual property
- Projects and infrastructure