Jamie McConnell > Greenwoods Legal > Peterborough, England > Lawyer Profile
Greenwoods Legal Offices
- Go to...
Commercial Litigation and Disputes
Jamie is described by clients as an exceptional lawyer who delivers straightforward commercial advice. With over 10 years’ experience as a commercial litigator, his specialisms include commercial disputes, financial services, intellectual property and IT & telecoms disputes.
Jamie acts for an impressive portfolio of clients from large multinational companies to individuals, on complex and high-value disputes. Recent work has included:
- successfully defending a high net-worth individual in a London Circuit Commercial Court trial of a fraudulent representation/deceit claim arising out of a US$3m investment offering in the US (Damazein Global Investments Ltd v Salamanca Capital Ltd and another  EWHC 2730 (Comm));
- defending an unfair prejudice claim arising from the breakdown of a former motor racing team/property investment business (Rees v Oliver  EWHC 922 (Ch));
- a dispute against a major bank regarding a leveraged Contract for Difference currency trade following the Swiss National Bank’s unexpected removal of the Swiss France/Euro currency peg;
- advising a major UK wealth management company relating to alleged negligence and FSMA claims arising from various investments (some with international elements);
- defending a multi-million-pound design right infringement and copyright claim;
- the successful enforcement of CTM and WIPO trade marks;
- advising a software developer in relation to injunctive relief and subsequent proceedings relating to its software and underlying source code;
- acting for a Chinese company in relation to monies owed for goods supplied to a UK plc under a Damages Based Agreement; and
- various intellectual property disputes relating to UK and CTM trade marks, copyright, passing off and domain names.
Jamie is consistently recognised as a “rising star” in the Legal 500 for his key areas of specialism: Commercial Disputes, Banking & Finance, Intellectual Property and IT & telecommunications. Recent accolades include:
Jamie McConnell is an “exceptional lawyer, with unparalleled attention to detail and grasp of the law”. (Legal 500, 2021)
“Exceptional advice and execution”. (Legal 500, 2021)
“Advice and guidance… nothing short of exceptional”. (Legal 500, 2021)
“Quick, responsive and thorough”. (Legal 500, 2021)
An “ability to exert pressure and find the hidden facts through detailed analysis and the law provided a successful outcome”. (Legal 500, 2021)
“Emotional intelligence with quality strategic advice and the ability to outperform much larger firms with more resource”. (Legal 500, 2021)
Lawyer Rankings(Rising stars)
Greenwoods Legal is building its technology sector focus by bringing together its IT, telecoms and IP expertise into a single team that acts for software houses, as well as handling technology matters for corporate, education and not-for-profit clients. Corporate partner Alastair Gunn in Peterborough works closely with business and finance specialist Jonathan Reardon in Cambridge, who joined from Al Tamimi & Company and has extensive experience in domestic and cross-border technology transactions. Senior associate Jamie McConnell handles contentious matters.
Greenwoods Legal is ‘‘really practical and tuned in to the actual needs of clients and what the litigation process involves at a granular level‘. The firm handles high-profile cases for a diverse range of clients, among them major developers and manufacturing companies, whether regional or national in nature. Practice head Huw Wallis is mainly based in London, but he works frequently in Peterborough to oversee a busy and highly skilled team that includes partner Adele Whaley and ‘practical, approachable‘ senior associate Jamie McConnell.
Greenwoods Legal in Peterborough is heavily involved in portfolio refinancing and finance-related litigation. As well as acting for banks and borrowers, the firm has also recently handled disputes alleging that investors were fraudulently misled in share acquisition transactions. Corporate partner Alastair Gunn and litigation senior associate Jamie McConnell are the main contacts. Partner Samantha East specialises in development and investment funding for real estate clients.
Greenwoods Legal has specialist knowledge of the media sector, particularly magazine and online publishing, which sees the firm involved in complex IP matters. Finance partner Jonathan Reardon in Cambridge, who joined from Al Tamimi & Company, leads the practice along with corporate partner Alastair Gunn and litigation senior associate Jamie McConnell in Peterborough. Their work includes advice to companies on investments and acquisitions involving the development and exploitation of IP, as well as contentious matters and support to early stage companies on the protection, development and licensing of IP rights.
- Commercial litigation: elsewhere in East Anglia - East Anglia > Dispute resolution
- Rising stars - East Anglia > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Rising stars - East Anglia > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Rising stars - East Anglia > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Banking and finance - East Anglia > Finance
- Intellectual property - East Anglia > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- IT and telecoms - East Anglia > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Employment > Employment
- Employment > Health and safety
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Construction
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Cambridge
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Public sector > Public sector
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: Cambridge
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Cambridge
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Real estate > Property litigation