Waselius & Wist > Helsinki, Finland > Firm Profile
Waselius & Wist Offices
Waselius & Wist > The Legal 500 RankingsWaselius & Wist is a ‘go-to’ practice for advising multinational credit institutions on major inbound transactions into Finland. Its work includes unsecured and secured financings, acquisition and structured finance work, and securitisation and major aviation finance projects. Team leader Timo Lehtimäki focuses primarily on cross-border transactions for private equity houses and international banks, and is noted for his work on asset-based lending matters, bond issuances and financing transactions. Specialist partner Maria Lehtimäki deals with cross-border financings and structured finance work in regards to distressed investments, while finance, regulatory, and fintech practice head Olli Kiuru is a key contact regarding fund structuring and restructuring matters.
‘Very pro-active and responsive. My go-to Finnish law firm.’
‘Timo Lehtimäki understands the demands of the London market and is super responsive and pro-active in finding solutions and giving advice on the deal. I can trust in him and his team to deliver on time and especially in time constrained competitive bid contexts.’
‘Finland is a distant jurisdiction but Waselius & Wist never disappoints as a top quality law firm: knowledgeable, responsive, efficient. We always recommend our clients to use W&W for Finnish matters.’
‘Timo Lehtimäki is the lead partner and our main contact. He is highly knowledgeable, efficient and easy to contact.’
‘Hardworking and will fight for their client. Ambitious team that will inevitably succeed because of the quality of the service and the relationship they grow.’
BNPP and Citibank
BBAM Aviation Services Limited
Saldo Finance plc
Liberis Finance Limited
PYN Fund Management Ltd
American Express Europe (Sweden branch)
Saldo Finance plc
GCC Capital Ab
Aalto University Executive Education (FINVA)
Liberis Finance Ltd
Komplett Bank ASA
- Advised LocalTapiola Finance Ltd as originator on its first public securitisation of a €529m portfolio of Finnish auto hire purchase contracts.
- Advised Bank of China on the Finnish law aspects of the financing of the acquisition of HyTest by Shenzhen Mindray Bio-Medical Electronics. The value of the deal was €545m.
- Advised BBAM Aviation Services Limited and JLPS Holding Ireland, respectively, and certain other transaction parties on the Finnish law aspects of the sale and leaseback of three Airbus A350-941 Aircraft with Finnair, and related financing arrangements. Deal value was estimated at $3bn.
Finland > Tax Tier 2Waselius & Wist provides ‘very pragmatic and efficient tax advice‘ to its clients encompassing transactions, structuring issues and tax litigation. Managing partner and practice co-head Niklas Thibblin ‘stands out‘ for his work on cross-border tax matters, including compliance issues and acquisition structurings, while co-head Jouni Weckström is a tax litigation specialist, covering VAT-related litigation and transfer pricing claims.
Niklas Thibblin; Jouni Weckström
‘Very pragmatic and efficient tax advice.’
‘Niklas Thibblin is easy to work with and has a very extensive network and experience.’
‘The team circling around Niklas Thibblin forms a coherent whole capable of working together in a highly analytical way focusing on the essence of the matter at hand.’
‘Niklas Thibblin is a highly intelligent lawyer thinking outside, but not too far outside the box!‘
‘Very skilful and service minded.’
‘Niklas Thibblin stands out with his vast knowledge in and commercial approach to cross-border projects.’
NRC Group Finland
LocalTapiola Finance (LähiTapiola Rahoitus)
T. Rowe Price
Scania Real Estate Finland Oy, Scania Suomi Oy
Saldo Finance plc
- Successfully assisted NRC Group Finland in a significant tax ruling process with the Finnish Supreme Administrative Court, relating to subscription of shares by employees in an employer entity.
- Assisted several T. Rowe Price funds with the reclaim of withholding taxes.
- Advised LocalTapiola Finance (LähiTapiola Rahoitus Oy) as the originator on its inaugural securitisation of a portfolio of consumer auto HP contracts with deal value of €600m.
Finland > Capital markets Tier 3Waselius & Wist assists international asset managers with inbound transactions into Finland, as well as advising on regulatory matters connected to securities, alternative investment funds and derivatives. Practice co-heads Maria Lehtimäki and Timo Lehtimäki are both highly experienced in advising on capital markets transactions and regulatory matters. Olli Kiuru is also a key name to note.
Maria Lehtimäki; Timo Lehtimäki
Other key lawyers:
‘Deep knowledge of their local market and application of local laws to international transactions.’
‘Experienced with relevant laws for debt capital markets laws and application to international DCM transactions and excellent service levels.’
‘They are experts in securitisations and complicated structured finance transactions in Finland. Their client care and relationship building with clients is of the highest order and they really understand the demands of sophisticated financial counterparties with whom we work.’
‘We have worked with Maria Lehtimäki. Maria is very switched on and an absolute pleasure to work with. The team provides a first class service and would be our immediate “go-to” law firm in Finland for anything involving Finance, but particularly securitisations.’
BBAM Aviation Services Ltd.
Barclays Bank plc / Barclays Bank Ireland
The Royal Bank of Canada
Société Générale Group and Commerzbank AG
Goldman Sachs International
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Deutsche Bank AG / DWS
Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
Capital Group Companies
- Advised Nomad Foods as the Initial Purchasers on the Finnish law aspects of the issuance of €750m aggregate principal amount of senior secured notes and the tack-on offering of €50m aggregate principal amount of additional senior secured notes.
- Advised Banco Santander as arranger and joint lead manager on the €650m public ABS securitisation of auto portfolio.
- Advised LocalTapiola Finance Ltd as originator on its first public ABS securitisation of a €529m portfolio of Finnish auto hire purchase contracts.
Christoffer Waselius; Fredrik Lassenius
Otso Gold Corp.
Sanquin Blood Supply Foundation
One.com Group AB
Camp Scandinavia Oy
NCS Finland Oy
Nordic Real Estate Partners (NREP)
Vulcain Services SAS
- Advised Loomis AB on its acquisition of Automatia Pankkiautomaatit Oy including the negotiation of long-term frame service agreements with the sellers.
- Advised Hg Capital and Visma on the Finnish law aspects of the sale of ownership interests in Visma, including due diligence on the Finnish law assets and agreements.
- Advised Otso Gold Corp. and its subsidiary on securing $11m financing from Brunswick Gold Ltd.
Finland > Employment Tier 3Waselius & Wist advises multinational corporations on business developments in Finland, with particular expertise in day-to-day employment advice and employment litigation. Founding partner Jan Waselius is an expert in employment disputes and arbitrations, while Jouni Kautto covers the employment elements of corporate transactions.
Jan Waselius; Jouni Kautto
Other key lawyers:
SOE Busproduction Finland Oy YT
Surfactor Finland Oy
- Advised Mars Incorporated on all employment matters in Finland, including matters in relation to the company’s corporate restructuring.
- Advised Otso Gold Corp. on its Finnish employment law matters.
- Advised and represented Ejendals in all employment law related matters in Finland.
Finland > EU and competition Tier 3Waselius & Wist advises UK, US and Chinese clients on Finnish abuse of dominance issues, state aid work and public procurement matters; it is particularly strong in multi-jurisdictional merger control mandates. Practice head Lotta Pohjanpalo focuses on public procurement and regulatory matters, as well as acting for clients before the FCCA, Market Court and Supreme Administrative Court.
‘Lotta Pohjanpalo is accessible, responsive, and sensible.’
‘Speed and clarity of response, and accessibility of the lead partner.’
Pernod Ricard Finland Oy
Automatia Pankkiautomaatit Oy
Ascensia Diabetes Care Finland Oy
Hanken & SSE Executive Education Ab
- Successfully represented Loomis AB in merger control proceedings before the Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority in connection with its acquisition of Automatia Pankkiautomaatit Oy.
- Successfully represented Ascensia Diabetes Care Finland Oy in public procurement litigation in the Finnish Market Court relating to a major procurement by the Joint Municipal Authority of the East Savo Hospital District of blood glucose meters, test strips, lancing devices and lancets.
- Successfully represented CityBike Finland Ltd. in Market Court proceedings concerning a complaint regarding a major procurement by the City of Tampere of a city bike system.
Bernt Juthström; Åsa Krook
Other key lawyers:
‘Waselius has an execellent IP team of which I know Åsa Krook best. The firm has solid. knowledge of trade marks, designs and copyright. The team is skilled in dealing with counterfeit goods.’
‘Åsa Krook has a longstanding reputation. Åsa is very knowledgeable and also has a great ability to arrive at practical solutions.’
‘Åsa Krook and Bernt Juthström complement each other within the field of IP.’
‘Theoretically outstanding, pragmatic, and in addition really nice to work with!’
‘I am working on a regular basis with partner and attorney-at-law Åsa Krook at Waselius & Wist. We are mainly cooperating in various trade mark related matters, and I would say that every time I work with Åsa, I know that any trade mark related questions and challenges that involve Finland are in the best hands. Åsa Krook is a trade mark expert whom I completely rely on for any trade mark related questions in Finland.’
Pernod Ricard Group
Loomis AB and Loomis Value Solutions Oy
Samsung Electronics Nordic AB
Essity Hygiene Products AB, Oy Essity Finland Ab
Eltel Group Oy
Lune Group Oy Ltd
Peptonic Medical AB
Louis Vuitton Malletier
- Successfully represented a German company and its Finnish subsidiary in the automotive industry in a trade name and trade mark dispute against a Finnish company in the Market Court.
- Advised Loomis AB on its acquisition of Automatia Pankkiautomaatit Oy from present owners with the deal value of €42m. The transaction involved a number of IP intense issues relating to complex licensing arrangements.
- Handled the Pernod Ricard Group’s trade mark portfolio in Finland, and continuously advise and represent the company group in trade mark, marketing, labelling, contractual and regulatory matters and procedures in Finland.
Finland > Dispute resolution Tier 4Waselius & Wist focuses on commercial litigation and arbitration matters, ranging from IP claims and tax litigation to post-M&A disputes. Senior partner and founding member Jan Waselius specialises in dispute resolution and arbitration work, while Bernt Juthström is known for IP and IT-related disputes. Christoffer Waselius covers commercial disputes, bankruptcy and restructuring petitions, and ad hoc and institutional arbitrations.
Jan Waselius; Bernt Juthström; Christoffer Waselius
Board members of Anttila Oy
HF Industriemontagen Franz Hofmaninger GmbH
Otso Gold Oy
Samsung Electronics Nordic AB
Essity Hygiene Products AB
First Quantum Minerals
Oy NCH Suomi Ab
MSD Finland Oy /Merck
- Acted as a counsel to former board members for Anttila Oy in a dispute concerning clawback to the bankruptcy estate of Anttila Oy.
- Successfully acted for Venator Materials in a contractual dispute against Neste Engineering Solutions Oy in the Helsinki District Court.
- Successfully acted as counsel for Samsung in several proceedings before the Finnish Consumer Dispute Board regarding complaints regarding consumer goods.
Waselius & Wist > Firm Profile
Waselius & Wist is a leading Finnish commercial law firm, committed to provide highly specialised legal services in complex business transactions. The firm is especially renowned for high-end advice within all fields of commercial law, with particular emphasis on capital markets, banking and finance, including financial restructurings, mergers and acquisitions, dispute resolution, real estate, energy and natural resources, tax law, employment law, competition law as well as IPR. The firm takes pride in being able to deliver tailor-made services and solutions with efficiency, accuracy and flexibility, aimed at satisfying the needs of the most demanding clients
|Banking and finance, Capital markets, Corporate recovery||Timo Lehtimäki|
|Banking and finance, Capital markets||Maria Lehtimäki|
|Competition and public procurement, General corporate and business law||Lotta Pohjanpalo|
|Dispute resolution, TMT, IPR, Corporate governance and compliance||Bernt Juthström|
|Dispute resolution, Employment, Corporate governance and compliance||Jan Waselius|
|Employment, pensions and incentives||Jouni Kautto|
|M&A and private equity, Real estate, Energy and natural resources, Environment||Christoffer Waselius|
|M&A and private equity, Real estate, General corporate and business law||Fredrik Lassenius|
|Intellectual Property||Åsa Krook|
|Banking and Finance, FinTech||Olli Kiuru|