Mark Deverell > Gorvins Solicitors > Stockport, England > Lawyer Profile
Gorvins Solicitors Offices
- Go to...
Mark is the Firm’s Senior Partner and Head of Commercial Litigation. He has been named as one of the Legal 500’s leading lawyers for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Mark specialises in commercial and insolvency related litigation, acing on behalf of both businesses and its principal shareholders and Directors. Mark also acts for a number of insolvency practitioners, providing both pre and post-incolvency advice. With an exceptionally strong client base and excellent knowledge in all aspects of commercial litigation he is recognised for his practical approach.
Joined and trained at Smith Fort and Symonds in 1992 before qualifying in 1994. Smith Forts merged with Gorvin Kenyon in 1998 before becoming Gorvins Solicitors in 2002.
Poynton County High School, 1981 – 1988; University of Northumbria 1988 – 1991; LPC at University of Northumbria 1992.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Gorvins Solicitors is adept at handling commercial and partnership litigation , while other areas of expertise include insolvency, shareholder disputes and property litigation. Mark Deverell and Guy Lightowler head the team, which acts for clients ranging from owner-managed businesses and SMEs to multinationals. Senior associate Danielle Clements is also recommended.
Gorvins Solicitors handles a range of contentious and non-contentious corporate and personal insolvency matters and its clients include insolvency practitioners, banks, businesses and individuals. It is known for its experience in advising companies facing winding-up proceedings and it is also experienced in acting for directors on personal liability, disqualification proceedings and on claims for breach of duty. David Guest, Mark Deverell and Paul Lupton head the team.
Gorvins Solicitors advises on the collection of debts on behalf of liquidators and administrators and the recovery of monies due under guarantees. Other areas of expertise include defended work and enforcement, fast track and multi-track claims and debt collection out of jurisdiction. Other clients include finance houses, businesses and professional clients. Mark Deverell heads the team.
The team at Gorvins Solicitors combines wills, trusts and probate experts with lawyers from a pure disputes background, advising on cases involving fradulent wills, Inheritance Act claims and questions over mental capacity. Christine Thornley jointly heads up the contentious trusts and probate team with senior partner Mark Deverell. The team was boosted during 2018 by the arrival of senior associate Julie Burgess from Weightmans LLP.
Gorvins Solicitors routinely handles complex matters involving a wide range of professionals including solicitors, barristers, surveyors, valuers, architects, accountants, insurance brokers and other non-medical professions. Mark Deverell, David Guest and Guy Lightowler are the main contacts. Deverell regularly works with insurers, primarily concerning legal advisers, while Lightowler has considerable experience advising owner-managed businesses, SMS, PLCs and multinationals.
- Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the North West - North West > Dispute resolution
- Leading individuals - North West > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the North West
- Contentious trusts and probate - North West > Private client
- Debt recovery - North West > Dispute resolution
- Professional negligence - North West > Insurance
- Insolvency and corporate recovery - North West > Finance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the North West
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in the North West
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in the North West
- Human resources > Employment: employee/union firms
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Private client > Family
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Human resources > Employment
- Real estate > Property litigation