Christine Thornley > Gorvins Solicitors > Stockport, England > Lawyer Profile
Gorvins Solicitors Offices
- Go to...
Private Client/Contentious Wills & Probate/Personal Tax, Trusts & Probate
Head of Wills and Estate Planning, Christine joined Gorvins over 10 years ago as a newly qualified solicitor and was promoted to Partner and Head of Private Client in 2012. Christine specialises in advising clients and business owners on inheritance tax and succession planning, including advice around securing business and business property relief. Christine acts as a professional attorney, deputy and trustee for many high net worth clients. Christine is also particularly specialised in advising families with disabled beneficiaries in particular those with severe learning difficulties and autism.
Trained Gorvins Solicitors, qualified in 2006
Christine is a member of the Society of Trusts and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
University of Sheffield (LLB Hons), LPC undertaken at the Chester College of Law
Gorvins Solicitors‘ private client team focuses on advising clients with estate planning and will preparation, and also assists trustees and executors with administering estates. Business owners form a key part of the team’s client base, as it provides advice on matters including succession planning and tax planning related to the sale of businesses. The practice’s estate work encompasses advising on matters involving complex and unusual assets. Christine Thornley leads the team, with specialisms in acting for family-owned businesses as well as clients with disabled beneficiaries. Michael Smoult is another key contact and has experience in contentious and non-contentious estate matters. Senior associate Tasoula Addison is also well-regarded by the practice’s clients.
Gorvins Solicitors‘ contentious trusts and probate team draws on the firm’s expertise in dispute resolution and non-contentious wills and probate work to advise clients in this area. The team handles the contesting of wills, Inheritance Act claims, and disputes between trustees and beneficiaries; much of the team’s work involves complicating aspects such as allegations of forgery, lack of capacity and undue influence. Christine Thornley leads the overall wills, trusts and probate team, with Michael Smoult also a key partner with a background in dispute resolution.
- Contentious trusts and probate - North West > Private client
- Personal tax, trusts and probate - North West > Private client
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the North West
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in the North West
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in the North West
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Employment > Employment: employee/union firms
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Employment
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant