Mr Michael Kyriakides > Harris Kyriakides > Larnaca, Cyprus > Lawyer Profile
Harris Kyriakides Offices
115 FANEROMENIS AVENUE
- Go to...
Mr Michael Kyriakides
Corporate, M&A, and Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
Michael Kyriakides is a Partner and Head of the Corporate Department at Harris Kyriakides. He is a member of the firm’s Board of Directors. Recommended by the Legal 500, 2018, in Commercial Corporate & M&A and in EU and Competition, Who ‘s Who Legal and Chambers & Partners, Michael’s practice covers the full range of company and commercial litigation, arbitration and advisory work. His commercial, solutions-based approach is sought out by clients around the world to resolve some of their most complex and sensitive matters in domestic and international litigation. His expertise focuses on cases involving commercial issues arising in the banking & financial services, company & insolvency sectors and shareholders disputes. He has extensive experience in cases involving international litigation or arbitration, interim injunctions, equity investments, cross border mergers/acquisitions, corporate restructuring and large asset finance transactions in Europe.
He regularly represents local and international clients before Cyprus Courts, national authorities and arbitration tribunals and has successfully negotiated and completed a range of domestic and cross-border transactions. He also serves as outside counsel for certain clients and as a non-executive director in a number of companies. Frequently, he is instructed by “magic circle” and other leading international firms. His recent court practice includes Anton Piller/Norwhich Pharmacal proceedings, injunctions in aid of foreign proceedings and corporate litigation.
Michael holds a law degree from the National Kapodistrian University of Athens, has completed a Master of Laws programme at University College London and was awarded an MPhil at the University of Oxford, where he authored a thesis on summary adjudication in civil litigation. He also acted as the leader of the EU Commission legal research project in “Documentary disclosure in cross border litigation”, conducted by Oxford University in collaboration with Vienna University and Ludwig Maximilians University Munich. He has lectured in front of various groups and international conferences and has published articles in legal journals.
He is a member of the Corporate Law Committee of the Cyprus Bar Association and also a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb).
- Represented a Cyprus company in conspiracy claims exceeding 820m USD and ancillary freezing injunction proceedings against Ukrainian based SCM Group.
- Instructed by HFC, a subsidiary of the Qatar Investment Authority, in relation to the enforcement of English provisional orders in Cyprus.
- Represented Yucos Capital Limited in relation to asset disclosure and tracing proceedings and gagging orders.
- Represented a major Russian oil company in Cyprus proceedings related to recognition and enforcement of LCIA award, together with ancillary injunctions for freezing of assets and disclosure of financial information.
- Represented one of the leading Cyprus banks in proceedings related to recognition and enforcement of a foreign judgment.
- Acted as an expert witness on Cyprus Corporate Law matters in LCIA arbitration.
- Represented one of the largest Russian banks in worldwide freezing injunction proceedings and Cyprus pledge enforcement proceedings.
- Represented a major international cement and concrete conglomerate in Anton Piller/Norwhich Pharmacal proceedings in Cyprus.
- Represented automotive spare parts importers in anti-trust proceedings before the Cyprus Competition Commission, which led to conviction of Daimler AG on the basis of anti-competitive conduct.
- Advised ABB in international project procurement.
- Advised on software development agreements in cooperation with a major international maritime authority.
- Counselled United States Polo Association on intellectual property matters.
- Advised Burger King on Cyprus corporate law matters.
Recent Academic Work
- Contributor in Cross-Border Mergers, EU Perspectives and National Experiences, 2019 (Springer)
- Contributory on Sovereign Immunity, 2019 (Lexology)
Member of the Cyprus Bar, 2004
Licensed Insolvency Practitioner
MSt, University of Oxford, 2003
LLM, University College London,2002
LLB, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 2001
Harris Kyriakides has a diverse EU and competition practice, with discrete teams covering public procurement and data protection, state aid, and a health-focussed public law team. Michael Kyriakides is a key contact and senior associate Eleni Neoptolemou has specialist knowledge of administrative law in the oil and gas sector.
Michael Kyriakides leads a strong team at Harris Kyriakides that has increasingly been advising various start-ups and fintech companies on a broad range of IP matters. It represents a number of major international companies on the enforcement of their IP rights, and is also adept at handling IP related disputes. The department also garners praise for its tax advice on a number of complex IP matters.
Harris Kyriakides handles a broad range of contentious matters from shareholder disputes to banking litigation, freezing injunctions and IP matters. It is a known name for its work on complex cross-border dispute resolution with a strong track record in civil disputes in addition to international and domestic arbitrations. Michael Kyriakides leads the group that saw some changes at a senior level, Phivos Zomenis joined the team from Christodoulos G. Vassiliades & Co. LLC while Myria Loizou left to become a District Court Judge.
At Harris Kyriakides, the team in Larnaca is led by Michael Kyriakides and has a strong emphasis on M&As and complex international transactions. The Nicosia team is led by Phivos Zomenis. It has a solid reputation for its work with local and international companies. Recently it has been busy advising on a wide range of matters from cross-border reorganisations and restructurings through to due diligence and transactional risk assessments.
- EU and competition - Cyprus
- Intellectual property - Cyprus
- Commercial, corporate and M&A - Cyprus
- Dispute resolution - Cyprus