Mr Tal Band > S. Horowitz & Co > Tel Aviv, Israel > Lawyer Profile
S. Horowitz & Co Offices
S. HOROWITZ HOUSE
31 AHAD HAAM STREET
TEL AVIV 65202
- Go to...
Mr Tal Band
Anti counterfeiting and brand enforcement Copyrights and related rights Designs Geographical indications/Appellations of origin Homeland Security and Defence Sector Intellectual property Intellectual property disputes Media and Entertainment Medical devices Patents Pharmaceuticals and biotech Service inventions and inventorship disputesTechnology transfer Telecommunications Trademarks Trade secrets and confidential information Drugs and Food Healthcare Medical and diagnostic devices
Tal Band is a member of the Executive Board and the Management Committee, and is the Chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group.
Tal represents high-profile clients in litigation before Israel’s civil courts and the Patents and Trademarks Office (Israel Patent Authority) on all matters relating to patents, trademarks and copyright. He represents local and foreign clients in complex litigation to protect their intellectual property rights, including know-how and trade secrets. Tal also represents Israeli clients with global operations across multiple jurisdictions, in close cooperation with leading litigators in the US, the UK and worldwide.
Tal’s clients are leading players in the pharmaceuticals, life sciences, defence and security, telecommunications, media, manufacturing and retail sectors, as well as investors, universities and start-ups.
The world’s top-ranking legal guides regularly single Tal out as a first-tier Intellectual Property litigator in Israel.
Tal has been described by Chambers Global as “The most prominent IP litigator in Israel“, “a fantastic IP trial lawyer who is intelligent and can be counted on for first-class legal work“, as well as being “one of, if not the most gifted litigators in the country“, by the World Trademark Review. IAM Patents 1000 also described Tal, stating that “His knowledge, deep understanding of the complexity of the issues at hand, creativity and vast experience set him apart from his peers and have certainly raised the bar for the required level of argumentation before the various instances and other legal forums and tribunals”.
Tal served as President of the Israel Chapter of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property Rights (AIPPI) between 2004-2016, as Chair of the AIPPI International Membership Committee between 2010-2014, and is still active in the international organisation. Tal holds the AIPPI Award of Merit for his extensive service to the association.
Tal is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Tel Aviv University Faculty of Law (2010- present). He leads the cooperation between the firm and the Faculty, which established the S. Horowitz Institute for Intellectual Property.
Tal was Chair of the Intellectual Property Committee of IATI (Israel Advanced Technology Industries) between 2010-2014, Chair of the Intellectual Property Committee of Lex Mundi between 1997-2001 and Vice-Chair of the Lex Mundi Intellectual Property Group EMCA (European) between 1997-2001.Tal served as Chairperson of the International Conference on Intellectual Property and Business that took place in Israel in November 2013, focusing on the topic: Economy of Innovation. Following the Conference’s success, a second conference was held in March 2016. The conferences were organized by the Israeli chapter of AIPPI, in collaboration with various organizations, all with significant footprints in the Intellectual Property world: WIPO, AIPLA, Law Schools, the Israel Patent Office, Israel’s Ministry of Economy and more. The conferences reached out to industry and businesses alike, and joined forces with the Academia, the judiciary and government.
By invitation, Tal is a regular speaker at Israel’s major law faculties where he lectures on Intellectual Property issues.
Tal has been a member of various public expert committees appointed by the Government of Israel to review legislation in various fields, in particular the Law Revision Committees overseeing the Patents Law, the Trademarks Law, implementation of the TRIPS agreements, practice and legal proceedings before the Patent Office and the Standards Law. Tal played a key role in negotiations with the United States Trade Representative on the scope of Intellectual Property protection in Israel.
Israeli Bar, 1984
- A member of the Board of Trustees of Tel Aviv University’s Faculty of Law (2010- present).Tal leads the firm’s cooperation with the Tel Aviv University Faculty of Law, which established the S. Horowitz Institute for Intellectual Property.
- President of the Israel National Group of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property Rights (AIPPI) (2004-2016), following his previous position as Secretary of the Group. Tal holds the AIPPI Award of Merit for his extensive service to the association.
- Chairperson of the AIPPI International Membership Committee (2010-2014).
- Chairperson of the Intellectual Property Committee of IATI, Israel’s largest non-profit umbrella organisation for the High-Tech and Life Science sectors, with over 500 members (2010-2014).
- Chairperson of the International Conference on Intellectual Property and Business that took place in Israel in November 2013, focusing on the topic: Economy of Innovation. Following the Conference’s success, a second conference was held in March 2016. The conferences were organized by the Israeli chapter of AIPPI, in collaboration with various organizations, all with significant footprints in the Intellectual Property world: WIPO, AIPLA, Law Schools, the Israel Patent Office, Israel’s Ministry of Economy and more. The conferences reached out to industry and businesses alike, and joined forces with the Academia, the judiciary and government.
- Guest lecturer on Patent Law at the law faculties of Tel Aviv University (since 2004), University of Haifa (2003-2013), and the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (1998-2004).
- A lecturer on Patent Law in the Masters Program on Commercial Law at Tel Aviv University and the University of California at Berkeley (2006-2007)
- Guest lecturer at international and Israeli conferences organized, among others, by the Ministry of Justice, the Weizmann Institute of Science, the Israel Bar Association and INTA.
- Former Chair of the Intellectual Property Committee of Lex Mundi (1997-2001), the leading network of independent law firms, and currently vice-chair of the Lex Mundi Intellectual Property Group EMCA (European) (1997-2001).
- Member of INTA, the International Trademark Association, ALAI, the Association Litteraire et Artistique Internationale and ECTA, European Communities Trade Mark Association.
- A former representative, on behalf of the State of Israel, to the Diplomatic Convention for Copyright Law (1996).
- A lecturer at courses for Israeli judges.
Hebrew University of Jerusalem, LL.B. cum laude, (1983)
S. Horowitz & Co has a strong track record in transactional and contentious mandates involving prominent clients across the spectrum of healthcare and life sciences. In the field of litigation, the team has an excellent reputation in complex disputes, including major class actions. Recently, it was chosen to represent Taro Pharmaceuticals in the first class action filed in Israel regarding the affect of opioids. Tal Band is best known for representing life sciences clients in administrative litigation. Dovev Apel is often engaged in major legislative developments led by the Ministry of Health and the Knesset, in addition to regularly representing clients in IP litigation, product liability disputes and class actions.
S. Horowitz & Co has one of the strongest IP practices of the full-service firms in Israel. The trade marks prosecution department, which sits within the IP practice (that also includes its top-tier disputes team), works with clients from around the world on portfolio management, enforcement before the IPTO and rival application proceedings. Team head Avi Ordo is an ‘extraordinary attorney’ who specialises in working with global media companies on the protection of their products. Tal Band heads up the broader IP group.
S. Horowitz & Co is widely regarded as the leading litigation firm in Israel. It acts for global companies from the telecoms, pharmaceutical and media sectors, as well as nationally-recognisable higher education institutions. Tal Band leads the practice and manages the firm’s relationship with Teva, the most active IP litigant in the jurisdiction. Avi Ordo advises on IP matters as part of a wide-ranging cross border technology practice. At junior partner level, Yair Ziv is recommended for his work with pharmaceutical companies and technology companies.
- Hall of Fame - Israel > Intellectual property > Intellectual property: disputes
- Healthcare and life sciences - Israel
- Intellectual property: disputes - Israel > Intellectual property
- Leading individuals - Israel > Intellectual property > Intellectual property: disputes
- Intellectual property: filing/prosecution - Israel > Intellectual property
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution > Dispute resolution: class actions (including derivative actions)
- Dispute resolution: local litigation and arbitration
- Healthcare and life sciences
- Intellectual property > Intellectual property: disputes
- Telecoms and media
- Dispute resolution > Dispute resolution: white-collar crime, investigation and fraud
- Intellectual property > Intellectual property: commercial/transactions
- Planning and zoning
- Capital markets
- Hi-tech and start-ups
- Real estate and construction
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Intellectual property > Intellectual property: filing/prosecution