Richard Mead > Gardner Leader LLP > Thatcham, England > Lawyer Profile
Gardner Leader LLP Offices
- Go to...
Personal tax, trusts and probate
Richard is based in our Thatcham office. Since qualifying as a solicitor in 1987, Richard has specialised in estate planning work. He advises clients on how to protect their wealth and also guides them on the most appropriate methods of transferring that wealth, both during lifetime and on death.
Richard is an expert in advising on and drawing up wills – these often include trusts to reduce Inheritance Tax, minimise the impact of care fees or protect vulnerable beneficiaries. In his line of work he will ensure that pension funds, death in service benefits and life assurance policies are dealt with in accordance with the client’s wishes and as tax efficiently as possible. Richard is also experienced in advising on the taxation consequences of lifetime gifts and whether a trust should be considered, including setting up, restructuring and terminating trusts. He also deals with trust administration and is personally named as a trustee in some cases. His experience in Probate and administration of estates includes post-death tax planning to minimise Inheritance Tax. Setting up and registering powers of attorney is also an area of Richard’s expertise.
Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP)
Private Client Section of the Law Society.
Trustee of the St Bartholomew’s School Foundation.
South East > Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
Gardner Leader LLP’s ‘vastly experienced’ private client team have notable strengths in helping high-net-worth clients in tax planning, often with a cross-border element and utilising its experience negotiating with HM Revenue & Customs. Other areas of expertise include inheritance tax, international estate planning and powers of attorney and Court of Protection work. Jolyon Barton‘s practice spans inheritance tax and capital gains tax mitigation, wills drafting, trusts and their use in tax planning, administration of estates and lasting powers of attorney. Robert Jobson is noted for his skills in establishing and administering trusts, while Penny Wright is recommended for tax planning, wills, incapacity and probate issues. Richard Mead and Kathryn Tarry are also of note for estate planning and administration. Senior associate Niamh Minihane specialises in will drafting and related inheritance tax planning.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Real estate > Commercial property: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Family: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Human resources > Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40
- Real estate > Property litigation