Mr Steen Hellmann > Viltoft > Copenhagen, Denmark > Lawyer Profile
1123 COPENHAGEN K
- Go to...
Mr Steen Hellmann
Specialist areas: Construction, public procurement, dispute resolution and employment.
Steen Hellmann advises public authorities, private businesses and technical consultants on all aspects of construction and procurement. Steen assists in the drafting and negotiation of contracts and has extensive experience in court and arbitration proceedings in the field of construction law. Steen additionally assists in the planning, implementation and monitoring of calls for tenders for building and construction projects and for the procurement of goods and services.
Steen advises on labour and employment law, assisting trade unions in particular. He has extensive experience in court and arbitration proceedings in the field of labour and employment law.
Steen has advised and assisted clients in areas including:
- ongoing advisory services in the field of labour and employment law
- drafting and implementing calls for tenders for the construction of EU-sponsored biogas plants in Zealand, contracts for infrastructure works in connection with the Metro project in Copenhagen and contracts for an urban development project
- calls for tenders for insurance services relating to a major construction project
- establishing urban and area development companies on a public-private partnership basis
- shareholder agreements in connection with the formation of companies or consortiums
- calls for tenders and conclusion of contracts for ambulance services and patient transportation for four of the five Danish regional authorities (contract value: approximately DKK 4 billion)
- calls for tenders, conclusion of contracts and provision of technical consultancy services on the City Ring Project in Copenhagen
- the legal effects of bankruptcy of contracting parties
Steen also assists in court and arbitration proceedings concerning:
- technical consultants’ design and supervision liability
- product liability in the building and construction industry
- completion statements and defects in construction projects
- claims for delay and liquidated damages
- indexation in construction projects
- on demand bonds, performance bonds, advance payment bonds and client payment bonds
- rules and regulations on construction and consulting services in Greenland
- interpretation of collective agreements and working time agreements
- termination of employment and summary dismissals of employees
- employers’ claims for repayment
- scope of application of the Danish Act on Transfers of Undertakings
- distribution of income among public-sector companies
Steen is the co-author (with Michael Gjedde-Nielsen et al.) of “ABR 18: General Conditions for Consulting Services”, Karnov Group, 1st edition, 2021
2019 Admitted to the Supreme Court
2009- Partner, VILTOFT
2005 Admitted to the High Court
2003 Admitted to the Danish Bar
2000-2009 Assistant attorney and attorney, VILTOFT
Steen speaks the Scandinavian languages and English.
Board member, Lundgaard & Tranberg Arkitekter (2020-)
Chairman, Thormann A/S (2019-)
Vice Chairman, Wissenberg A/S (2018-)
Chairman, A/S Botica Entreprise (2009-)
Chairman, Kildegård Privatskole (2013-2020), now boardmember
Member of the Danish Society for Construction and Consulting Law, the Danish Association for Procurement Law, the Danish Association of Litigators, the Danish Labour Law Society, Danish Employment Law Lawyers and the Danish Company Law Society.
2000 Master of Laws (LL.M.), University of Copenhagen
1999 Studies at New York University School of Law, USA
Displaying an ‘in-depth knowledge of the construction sector’, Viltoft fields experts in the drafting and negotiation of construction contracts concerning large project developments, construction-related procurement work, and high-stakes construction disputes. Acting for a range of public institutions, construction companies, engineers, technical consultants and contractors, the group is jointly led by Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen, Henrik Hauge Andersen and Steen Hellmann. Michael Gjedde-Nielsen has substantial experience in contentious matters and Eva Olesen handles procurement mandates, while newly promoted partner Morten Ruben Brage specialises in environmental and planning issues.
Praised for its ‘very deep understanding of the building industry and contracting law’, Viltoft specialises in construction, real estate and public procurement-related disputes including complex arbitration proceedings. Jointly led by Steen Hellmann and Peter Fauerholdt Thommesen, the team regularly acts for clients in high-profile cases concerning large-scale construction, infrastructure and energy projects. Henrik Hauge Andersen frequently handles procurement mandates, while Michael Gjedde-Nielsen is noted for his track record in construction disputes. Other areas of focus include corporate, shareholder and commercial litigation and employment-related claims.